Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

StreetThisEVO - back to basics build 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
StreetThisEVO - back to basics build 2014

StreetThisEVO - 2014

Well where do I start? For those that have followed my build threads the last couple of years know I have had one goal. That goal has been to go 8's in what I consider a street car. Simply put it has been a challenging road to travel down thus far. But with any experience comes knowledge. Those that know me understand how determined I can be. I never give up and will keep at it until I reach my goal.

Looking back at old setups I feel I have become too strung up in all the hype of what is new and what some say "works best". I like most members of this forum do work out of my own garage with my own two hands. I make a point to put in as much wrench time as I can without the help of a shop doing everything for me. Now don't get me wrong I do have the support of several big names in the industry. My sponsors have been great throughout the years and a lot of what I've done wouldn't have been possible without them.

I have run multiple setups since I purchased the car new in 2006. DSport wrote an feature article on the car that was on newsstands last year. It was a great article and focused on how the car has changed and what the return has been over the years.

In 2006 I started with the OEM IX turbo, went to the FP Green (20glt at the time), FP Red, then FP Black. My first 9 second pass was accomplished in 2010 on the Black. I ended my 2010 racing season with a 9.79 @ 145 mph pass on the FP Black. During the winter months of 2011 I made the call to ditch the stock appearing style turbo and went to a FP HTA GT3586R w/ a T3 .82 A/R hotside.

The switch to a T3 based turbo was amazing! The car made 619 whp on the FP Black. On the 3586 and similar boost levels the car put down 723 whp. Overlaying the two graphs showed almost the exact power curve with the 3586 still climbing up top. With all of the new power I was excited to hit the track. On July 26th of 2011 I drove the car to the track, threw the Hoosier QTPs on and ran a 9.42 @ 151.07 mph. Over the next year and a half I made a bunch of changes to the car while still on the 3586. At the start of 2012 I jumped on the band wagon and purchased a brand new TRE stage 3 trans with a HKS 4.11 final drive. With the change to the 4.11 I had to buy new slicks and bought a set of M&H 24.5" slicks. I also bought a Quarter Master 8-leg 'race' clutch kit because that was what was 'in' at the time.

The first outing of 2012 was the at the Buschur Racing Sport Compact race. First pass of the day the car is broken. My clutch literally melted itself together and wouldn't disengage. Quarter Master replaced the clutch with a new unit. With life events and downtime waiting on parts to show up I didn't really race again until the DSM/EVO shootout. The rest of the 2012 season was ok with multiple mid 9 second passes. My biggest issue was getting the car to leave the line and sixty. The other issue was getting locked out of gear while making a pass. After 20 passes or so my transmission was showing signs of wear. 2012 ended with a 9.37 @ 160.16 mph pass.

For the start of 2013 I sold the 3586 and purchased a FP HTA GT3794R w/ a Tial .82 A/R hotside. I had Quarter Master re-fresh the clutch and had Jon @ TRE refresh the transmission while everthing was out. Of course with the new turbo the car made even more power (811 whp). In a nut shell 2013 was almost an exact copy of 2012. After a short amount of passes my transmission was giving me issues. Not once was I able to make a full pass that I felt good about. I would have to baby the gear changes to get it through all of the gears. About the only thing I was able to improve on was how the car left the line. Towards the end of the year I was able to consistently pull low 1.4 to high 1.3 sixty foot times. Not being able to bang second gear killed my ET. I ended the 2013 season with a 9.46 @ 163.08 mph pass. It is obvious the car is making GREAT power!

A few pictures from 2013:

What do I think the problem is? What I'm about to say is my opinion and mine alone.

Issue # 1 - Simply put the Quarter Master clutch is junk. The clutch discs are to thick and very heavy. The this metal also warps easily from heat. At high rpm the fingers of the pressure plate expand outward towards the HTOB changing the engagement point. This clutch already has a very limited area of operation. This variation makes it unable to operate as it should when those limits are set with the car sitting still. Which in return destroys synros and other items in the transmission.

Issue # 2 - The 24.5" diameter tire has less sidewall to absorb the weight transfer. They also have to spin quicker to cover the same distance vs. as a 26" tire. The small tire made the car less consistent off the line.

Issue # 3 - The 4.11 does has its benefits. But for what I do and the power the car makes the gearing is WAY to long. My high compression 2 liter loves to rev and makes great power even above 9k rpm. From what I recall I went through the traps at just hair over 9k rpm at 163 mph last year on the 4.11 and 24.5" tire. My ET hasn't really improved since 2011 but my trap speed has gone up almost 12 mph. With the power the car was making I would gain almost 48-50 mph in the back half each pass.

Issue # 4 - Use of a short throw shifter. Since 2011 I had been using a Torque Solution short throw shifter. From what I'm told this is a big no no and the OEM shifter is best to use. Why you ask...I'm not sure honestly. The few knowledgeable individuals I've spoke to agree with this.

What's new so far for 2014:

- Completely re-freshed TRE stage 3 transmission with an OEM final drive
- Tilton carbon/carbon clutch kit & ARP flywheel bolts
- 26" Mickey Thompson slicks on Rota 15 x 8 wheels
- OEM 5 speed shifter
- Speedway Motors scalloped & drilled front rotors
- Brake Man / Wilwood replacement front brake pads
- All new fluids

2014 goals:

- 8 second pass
- Trap 165 mph
- Enjoy the car more

As you can see I am really not changing a whole lot this year. I took what I've learned from past years experiences and feel I've made the changes needed to go 8's this year. I was tempted to go to a Super 94 and make even more power. I honestly do not need more power. Everything is there to do what I need it to.

I have plans to shed some more weight off that I never got to last year. I will keep the car looking the way it is. I'd love to see the car down to 2550 lbs in full street trim on the radial tires. I still haven't touched the harness inside the car. This summer I will tackle that project. As always I will update the thread with any progress or results.

First race of the year is coming up very soon. I plan to attend the IFO event in Columbus Ohio on the 27th of this month. The car should be back together and running this weekend.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Apr 17, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

New Parts

Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn that tilton looks good.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Good luck on your goal Chris
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
That's Crazy about your clutch. Doesn't the junkbox run the same clutch that you were running?
I have been watching you the last few years hoping you would get the 8sec time slip. Best of luck this year
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always loved your engine bay, so simple & clean! Good luck this year sir!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a great setup Chris. I dont know if you recognize me on here or not but I bought that talon from you a few years ago. What made you decide on a TRE over others? Also what Tcase setup are you using this season? Best of luck to you!!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoforstevo
Damn that tilton looks good.
Yes it does. The build quality is amazing. I love how the kit comes with everything you need to install it.

Originally Posted by badev0
Good luck on your goal Chris
You as well! Thanks.

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
That's Crazy about your clutch. Doesn't the junkbox run the same clutch that you were running?
I have been watching you the last few years hoping you would get the 8sec time slip. Best of luck this year
Yes Joey used a QM 8 leg last year. He went 8's on a syncro based transmission and now uses a dogbox.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I've always loved your engine bay, so simple & clean! Good luck this year sir!
There a few small things I'd like to clean up. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it looks. It would look so much better without power steering but I can't get myself to remove it.

Originally Posted by Stew Pidaso
Looks like a great setup Chris. I dont know if you recognize me on here or not but I bought that talon from you a few years ago. What made you decide on a TRE over others? Also what Tcase setup are you using this season? Best of luck to you!!
I certainly do remember you. I loved that Talon and hope to have another one like it this summer. Jon @ TRE is a true transmission builder and not just someone who assembles them. He goes the extra mile every time to make sure everything is correct. I've been on the same tcase for a few seasons now. I use a non-ACD tcase with a Quaife LSD and OEM ring/pinion. Dan @ Buschwacker built my tcase and it has worked great! I highly suggest the Redline 75w140 NS fluid for the transmission and Redline heavy weight shockproof for the tcase and rear end. Overfill the tcase and rear end if you can.

I think this will be a good year for me.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Update 4.17.2014

I was able to get the clutch and transmission installed tonight. I get the slicks mounted tomorrow and hopefully will have a running car by the end of the weekend.

Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
hey there he is. was wondering what 2014 was gonna bring. best of luck to you and the car. looks like a great start and some nice improvements.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
I certainly do remember you. I loved that Talon and hope to have another one like it this summer. Jon @ TRE is a true transmission builder and not just someone who assembles them. He goes the extra mile every time to make sure everything is correct. I've been on the same tcase for a few seasons now. I use a non-ACD tcase with a Quaife LSD and OEM ring/pinion. Dan @ Buschwacker built my tcase and it has worked great! I highly suggest the Redline 75w140 NS fluid for the transmission and Redline heavy weight shockproof for the tcase and rear end. Overfill the tcase and rear end if you can.

I think this will be a good year for me.
Cant go wrong with that setup then. That used to be the old stage 3 tcase setup John sold back in the day I believe and it also was put through the REM ISF process. I saw you came out to sheps a couple months ago but never saw your tranny come in. Now I know why haha. And yes HWSP is a great fluid, perfect gear protection for your power level
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
hey there he is. was wondering what 2014 was gonna bring. best of luck to you and the car. looks like a great start and some nice improvements.
Thanks Dan.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

nice ! good luck this year you will get that 8 second pass.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good Chris! Clutch looks amazing!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the way you documented the years, i wish you the best of luck i think the problems you pointed out are very valid.

Quick Reply: StreetThisEVO - back to basics build 2014