Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

A new start...Hopefully!

Old Oct 6, 2014, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A new start...Hopefully! Evo 9 2.3L Hta86 Street/Track Build

I decided to make a new thread as there will be a lot of changes this winter for the car.

I was running a pretty much new BR 2.3 motor at the shootout when I got two passes in Friday night and the motor spun a rod bearing. I was furious to say the least. Not really sure what caused the spun bearing and at this point I dont care. I am moving on(after arguing with DB through emails) with the car and getting a new shortblock, this time by Devin and the guys at Boostin.

I dropped the motor off with Boostin at IFO in Joliet a few weeks ago. While the motor is being assembled, I figured I would get started on the car.

The first change I wanted to make was delete abs. Having a 9, I knew deleting abs was a pita without deleting acd. So I said screw it and took out all the acd stuff as well.

I yanked both harnesses out of the car, the engine harness, as well as the fusebox(chassis) harness. You have to remove the dash to get the engine harness out. It was a bit of a pain, but I got it done, with no help that day lol.

With the engine harness spread out on my dining room floor lol, I decided I would take all the acd and abs wires from the harness.

Its not too bad of a job, just taking my time and following each wire to see where it goes and pulling it from each branch, then de pinning it from the connectors.
ACD and ABS wires pulled from the harness:

I have purchased a NON ACD tcase. The seller lived minutes away from Shep, so he took it to Shep and thats where it sits for now. I am sending in my ACD tcase to have the diff pulled out and used, then prolly just a stage 1, maybe 2 upgrade.

While the motor is out, I thought, now would be a good time to paint the engine bay. I have always hated how the factory doesnt clear under the hood, dont get it lol.
So I started tearing it all out to get the bay prepped for paint.

I started to go a little further than I original wanted with the bay. I figured since I was removing some things and cleaning up, I would cut some of the unused studs on the firewall and well as some of the misc brackets in the bay that I wont be using.

As of right now, I plan on painting the bay tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work. I am gonna get some heat for this because of the beloved Electric Blue, but Im doing a full color change! The car is gonna go Pearl White from the 2014 GTR. Pealr white is by far my favorite color on cars. I painted my 1g dsm pearl white when I had it an loved it.

Stay tuned for some engine bay love shots after tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails A new start...Hopefully!-imag0192_zps1bd5406f.jpg   A new start...Hopefully!-imag0201_zpse2de7fe4.jpg   A new start...Hopefully!-imag0200_zpsb10f74dc.jpg   A new start...Hopefully!-imag0198_zpsabc4776e.jpg   A new start...Hopefully!-imag0214_zps0c2761ca.jpg  

A new start...Hopefully!-imag0221_zps87e66868.jpg   A new start...Hopefully!-imag0219_zps9eaf9b15.jpg   A new start...Hopefully!-imag0220_zps3001a703.jpg  

Last edited by tsidrift1; Dec 1, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Sucks about the motor, Evos seem to hate rod bearings.
Now, please be satisfied with just the color from the GTRs; don't go selling the evo and buying a GTR like many have done
What kind of motor will Boostin be building you?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
Sucks about the motor, Evos seem to hate rod bearings.
Now, please be satisfied with just the color from the GTRs; don't go selling the evo and buying a GTR like many have done
What kind of motor will Boostin be building you?
Ha! I wish. I couldn't/can't afford a gtr lol. By the time I can buy one they will be 10 years old with 100k miles lol.

Boostin is building me another 2.3. My rods and pistons were able to be reused, so I will stick with a 2.3.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this build progress, love the electric blue , but pearl white is a great color as well
Old Oct 7, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Ha! I wish. I couldn't/can't afford a gtr lol. By the time I can buy one they will be 10 years old with 100k miles lol.

Boostin is building me another 2.3. My rods and pistons were able to be reused, so I will stick with a 2.3.
Don't get how so many people think the gtr is a block of gold lol it's only the ones who haven't priced one that think this. Also seriously why buy an evo and want a gtr? The two are like night and day. The r35 is a freaking tank. Clearly not japanese designed.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best of luck! always love seeing your Electic Blue IX on your other threads. Are you reusing your the crank?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Getting ready to spray the pearl coat now.

I am getting a brand new oem 100mm crank.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Looking forward to your build, great work so far.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

So I got some updates on the paint. Bay turned out great! I am very happy with the color. My goal was to get the whitest white pearl I could. This is why I went with "whitest white" from the lexus LFA as my base and then the white frost pearl from the GTR over the base.

Most pearls get so yellow and creamy, this one is still very white!

Boring ole' sealer lol

White Base (Whitest White from Lexus LFA)

Now its time for Pearl. Its crazy how yellow this midcoat is before going on. I was worried it was gonna turn the white to almost yellow lol.

Sprayed out on top of the white base.

Some shots out in the sun today.

Old Oct 8, 2014, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Double post

Last edited by tsidrift1; Oct 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 08:58 AM
Account Disabled

Work looks great so far!

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old Oct 9, 2014, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Subscribing!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed
Old Oct 10, 2014, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am jealous of your freshly painted bay, I NEED to do that...oh well, maybe next year! Looking good sir!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks very nice. I like that color choice too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A new start...Hopefully!