Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Fantastic build, really inspiring!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9

Originally Posted by evo2809
Excellent job!!! I'm learning much of this thread
We've learned a ton from your exterior conversion too! How is the car doing these days? I'm still contemplating whether I want to do the same exterior conversion. I have been entertaining actually going in the reverse direction and trying a CP9A conversion (EVO V or VI)...that could be interesting...I've never seen it done on a CS6A (or CS7A in your case), but it's been done quite a bit on pre 02 Mirages.

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
keep going, as a oz owner, you make us proud
Thank you! OZ forever lol

Originally Posted by electron bom
Fantastic build, really inspiring!
Thank you, this helps to keep me moving forward on this crazy project!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I specifically joined this page just to reply to this because I haven't seen any updates on this project. I've been doing some pretty extensive research on converting my 02 oz rally awd and the information you have on here is amazing. First detailed information on the conversion I've gotten. All I can find is people saying just buy an evo, which gets annoying. I've always wanted an evo but with two kids the funds were out of the question. I've been wanting a project to further my fabrication skills and knowledge. Although I do live in the US not much is different I presume as far as evo/outlander vehicles? Not familiar with the diffrences in other countries. Also if you can post an update on the (hopefully) completed project I would be thrilled. Just curious as to what ended up coming of your hard work ! Thanks again!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Junkyrdprincess
I specifically joined this page just to reply to this because I haven't seen any updates on this project. I've been doing some pretty extensive research on converting my 02 oz rally awd and the information you have on here is amazing. First detailed information on the conversion I've gotten. All I can find is people saying just buy an evo, which gets annoying. I've always wanted an evo but with two kids the funds were out of the question. I've been wanting a project to further my fabrication skills and knowledge. Although I do live in the US not much is different I presume as far as evo/outlander vehicles? Not familiar with the diffrences in other countries. Also if you can post an update on the (hopefully) completed project I would be thrilled. Just curious as to what ended up coming of your hard work ! Thanks again!
Sorry to everyone for the lack of updates. I've been saving my pennies for the last components required to complete the build. Actually very little left to purchase has anything to with the AWD swap specifically (turbo, hot parts, fuel components, COP kit, wheels) but until I have this stuff, I can't really get the engine in and break it in.

The USDM Outlander I imagine is the same as the Canadian one we have. You will want to find the 2006 Outlander that came with the 5spd manual for AWD -- that is if you want to use the Outlander drivetrain.

The only question mark for this project is how the weight of the Outlander subframe is going to affect handling and the overall weight of the vehicle once done. The Outlander subframe and suspension, while far more 'drop in' and compatible with the Lancer than if you used EVO components, is quite heavy and doesn't facilitate mutli-link suspension. I sometimes wonder how much more difficult it would have been to swap the EVO rear end in.

The weight of the subframe on the back I think will be this vehicle's achilles heel, but I'm making strong attempts to save weight in other areas to compensate. I am not sure yet how the low center of gravity and weight at the back will affect the vehicle's handling. For all I know it might actually make the vehicle feel more planted.

If you want to know anything that I haven't covered on this thread feel free to ask! It's a big undertaking (and especially so if you decide to do what I did and build a 4G63 + go all out in other areas) but for me has been a positive experience. I've learned a lot!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 06:50 PM

Great build. I am wondering if you have actually installed them Brembos. Interested to know if the rear would bolt straight up..
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T-mun
Great build. I am wondering if you have actually installed them Brembos. Interested to know if the rear would bolt straight up..
Not yet. I have the rear backing plates from an 04-06 Ralliart (w/ rear discs) which will be used to accommodate the rear brembo calipers. A small mounting bracket will likely need to be machined to accommodate the EVO rotors that are larger in diameter than RA Lancer rotors (pushing the caliper further outward).

The front brakes will be bolt right up as I'm using the EVO knuckles which are a direct swap.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 07:40 AM

Any 2017 updates???
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by InFaMousOTC
Any 2017 updates???
Should have some updates soon
The following users liked this post:
Resurrected RA (Feb 4, 2017)
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every time I read this thread I dream about doing this on one of my sportbacks...time and money then snap me back to reality!..Good luck with the remaining build, and good job!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Resurrected RA
Every time I read this thread I dream about doing this on one of my sportbacks...time and money then snap me back to reality!..Good luck with the remaining build, and good job!
Funny... you dream about doing this to one of your cars, I sometimes dream about a time when I wasn't so brazen to even try something like this...

...but to anyone who wants to attempt an AWD swap on their FWD Lancer who is discouraged by my lack of progress, know that this has evolved well beyond that of any typical AWD swap. The AWD swap in and of itself, if that was the only metric for success, would have been done a long, long time ago. I decided after identifying that the rear differential housings between the EVO and Outlander were identical, to basically build an EVO out of this car (and not just any EVO either, but one completely built).

This project has gone well beyond that of emulating a stock EVO and keeping the SOHC 4G69 engine. Even if this was an EVO, the build as it exists today, would be considered ambitious.

For those still following this, the back-up plan should the AWD swap cause any issues (although I am fairly confident it will not), is source a cheap rolling 8 or 9 and swap everything I have into it.

Thanks for the continued support, I promise I'll have some updates soon.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Some updates to prove I'm not dead

Full-Race hot parts, twin scroll manifold w/ downpipe, midpipe and waste-gate dump tubes which will most likely be recirculated back into the main exhaust. SwainTech White Lightning coating.

The coating is about everything I expected it would be. It's very gritty/rough and marks incredibly easily. I'm not too concerned about keeping it looking new because it will inevitably get dirty and discoloured over time, but I've heard a lot of people just spray over it with a standard ceramic coating.

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-6fxk5dg.jpg

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-eiye8eu.jpg

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-04ubei3.jpg

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-g7zf7sg.jpg

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-bhnvabl.jpg

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-1yqr4fa.jpg

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-nxk5gyr.jpg

CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9-i2cdep6.jpg
Resurrected RA (Feb 27, 2017)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is so awesome! Following your build intensely!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
drool
Resurrected RA (Feb 28, 2017)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

I've gone full retard!
Resurrected RA (Feb 28, 2017)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice work! This has been quite the journey I imagine.

Quick Reply: CS6A Complete AWD swap | FWD OZ Rally converted to AWD via Outlander/EVO 9