Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CT9A Resurrection and Innovation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Every time this thread pops up it makes my day. Amazing how straight and true the motor and clutch assembly was when spinning. I can't wait to see this thing in action! Worlds first true manual electric AWD evo.

-pal215
Old Feb 7, 2017, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Know what'd be hilarious, depending on what you like, have a few friends push it to the line on a drag strip or AX course as if you haven't started it up yet...."oh he's got just enough fuel for the run"....then just take off with no sound like a cannon . The look on the officials faces would be epic. Although you'd have to limit the torque somehow off line to ~380ft/lbs to keep the drivetrain happy lol.

keep up the geek!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Im not sure if you got to drive it around the block yet or if you have a certain idea how it will be driven ?

Is this setup going to just be driven in one gear (example 3rd) or will you still be shifting like it was OEM ? Normal driving vs WOT quarter mile run ...?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
..."oh he's got just enough fuel for the run"....then just take off with no sound like a cannon . keep up the geek!

Im not sure if you got to drive it around the block yet or if you have a certain idea how it will be driven ?
Is this setup going to just be driven in one gear (example 3rd) or will you still be shifting like it was OEM ? Normal driving vs WOT quarter mile run ...?
I plan to use as many gears as necessary to keep the motor in the highest efficiency band as long as possible.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that's awesome... can't want to hear how it goes on the project: "E-vo"
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Git r that sweet ice cream paint jawb! Git r reedy fer race wars! It's time ye git this elctro-machine on the streets !
Old Feb 24, 2017, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates? I wanna see this thing drive.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

No updates at the moment. I was sick again last week with a strep infection and just finished a 2nd round of antibiotics. Currently, I'm working on sorting out the 12v system in the car. I should have some post-worthy pics soon.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
An idea ran through my mind for a replacement from having to use batteries to drive the motor . Would it be possible to install and use a gasoline powered generator (Home, RV or portable generator etc..) to supply current for the motor/car?

Would those generators supply enough electrical current to make it work equivalent or beyond your intended goals?

I would assume those generators don't consume as much fuel idling compared to a car's engine , so MPG's may be extremely high .

PS , hope you get better soon.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
An idea ran through my mind for a replacement from having to use batteries to drive the motor . Would it be possible to install and use a gasoline powered generator (Home, RV or portable generator etc..) to supply current for the motor/car?

Would those generators supply enough electrical current to make it work equivalent or beyond your intended goals?

I would assume those generators don't consume as much fuel idling compared to a car's engine , so MPG's may be extremely high .

PS , hope you get better soon.
Yes it would be possible, but use of such a generator would be prohibitive for a couple of reasons. My battery pack should supply +300kW of power for short bursts of acceleration. I imagine that an ICE driven generator capable of delivering similar power would not only be heavy, but quite noisy as well. Furthermore, since most generators are designed to supply 110-210v AC for replacement grid power, I would have to implement an inverter to feed my DC controller and I would be capped at 210v.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much did the speed controllers, motor, and batteries set you back ?
What Kv motor is it ?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lonestarr20
Just out of curiosity, how much did the speed controllers, motor, and batteries set you back ?
What Kv motor is it ?
Used controller: $1500
New motor: $2100
48 LiMnO modules from Leaf: $2500
Old Mar 2, 2017, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you already pick up a second motor like you had originally planned? Or have you decided to just go the single motor route now?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Epyon
Did you already pick up a second motor like you had originally planned? Or have you decided to just go the single motor route now?
Single motor for now until the car is daily-driveable and I've worked all the kinks out.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by electron bom
Single motor for now until the car is daily-driveable and I've worked all the kinks out.
But you haven't given up on the dual motor idea, good to hear.

Quick Reply: CT9A Resurrection and Innovation