Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CT9A Resurrection and Innovation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is going to be good.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Hey, I do like the name EVo or EV-O!
Right now the plan is to use a complete EVO 8 transmission and retain AWD.
The transfer case will undoubtedly require a build at some point, but I'm somewhat interested to see what the stock unit will handle.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

The ultimate stress test. What is the back up option tho? 2 / 3 speed sequential gearbox?

I've read about people converting Powerglide automatics for EV motors, but due to evo drivetrain that falls out.

Last edited by PZ.eu; Aug 1, 2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IVO or EEVO
Old Aug 2, 2015, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

I'm very interested in keeping the vehicle a 5spd. When components fail and plan B is called into effect, I will be shipping them off to Jacks. I'm thinking the transfer case will get the indestructible build.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Rear end nearing completion.

Rear differential is mounted. 95% of fuel components have been removed.
Driveshaft is on the slowest Fed Ex truck in all of recorded history. New rear wheel bearings and stop tech rotors are on order. Once those items are implemented the rear end will be finished (for now). I do plan to revisit the rear end after the vehicle is running and I'd like to conduct a complete white line bushing replacement.

I spent most of my Sunday slowly taking all the crap off the gearbox, but I'm only 1/2 way there. Polyurethane bushings will be accompanying the gearbox when it makes its debut in the 'motor-bay'

Old Aug 2, 2015, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PZ.eu
Powersteering, axles and all other how will that be solved?
Range and power output?
OEM diff, axles, gearbox, t-case are the decided transmission. I'm still undecided on a clutch flywheel setup at the moment. I had a RPS carbon twin disc on my last car and really liked that clutch. It had a very light pedal feel and held 600ftlbs with no problem. It was noisy as hell though.

Initially, the car will not have power steering. If I find that annoying, there is an auxiliary end to the motor shaft that I can use to spin pumps for AC, PS, vacuum etc.

Range is a tricky estimation as there are many factors. I would be very happy with 60miles range for a commuting type driving style. This range figure will diminish sharply however as driving pleasure increases

Power is also tricky to estimate, but a bit less so. Through a T-5 in a Shelby cobra, the Warp 11 HV has produced +400rwtq (dynojet) when fed 1200amps on a 260Volt nominal battery pack (which sags well below 200V at that load). I'm expecting the evo to have more drivetrain loss due to AWD. I will be utilizing a 360volt nominal pack, but I doubt that I will discharge my Leaf cells at such a high current. I plan to eventually build a lightweight, high discharge, Lithium "track pack'' that would be more than capable and weigh about 300lbs less.

Last edited by electron bom; Aug 2, 2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I REALLY want to see where this build goes… You definitely intrigue my mind as to the hard work and determination going into this build… Good luck, I look forward to the updates!!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is pretty crazy. Where in NC are you located, I would love to check this out at some point. I'm in Raleigh.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by electron bom
OEM diff, axles, gearbox, t-case are the decided transmission. I'm still undecided on a clutch flywheel setup at the moment. I had a RPS carbon twin disc on my last car and really liked that clutch. It had a very light pedal feel and held 600ftlbs with no problem. It was noisy as hell though.

Initially, the car will not have power steering. If I find that annoying, there is an auxiliary end to the motor shaft that I can use to spin pumps for AC, PS, vacuum etc.

Range is a tricky estimation as there are many factors. I would be very happy with 60miles range for a commuting type driving style. This range figure will diminish sharply however as driving pleasure increases

Power is also tricky to estimate, but a bit less so. Through a T-5 in a Shelby cobra, the Warp 11 HV has produced +400rwtq (dynojet) when fed 1200amps on a 260Volt nominal battery pack (which sags well below 200V at that load). I'm expecting the evo to have more drivetrain loss due to AWD. I will be utilizing a 360volt nominal pack, but I doubt that I will discharge my Leaf cells at such a high current. I plan to eventually build a lightweight, high discharge, Lithium "track pack'' that would be more than capable and weigh about 300lbs less.
That poor thing will have a hella power to handle indeed.

While you're at electric swaps, you could swap electric power steering just to follow up the trend, cause I really think non-PS evo steering wheel would be a total mess during daily driving.

As for the range, it might be ugly during the breaking in days, when you test the limits of the car (power, transmission, range), so be prepaired to carry "range extender" with yourself.

Well thats my 0.02 of American money. Good progress so far.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Old Aug 3, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

New fluid and the gearbox resurrection will be complete.

Old Aug 3, 2015, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Sweet build! I can see this sort of thing happening a bit more in the future once cars like the Evo are getting restomodded.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
Sweet build! I can see this sort of thing happening a bit more in the future once cars like the Evo are getting restomodded.

Very plausible indeed. As OEMs continue to provide electric powered cars and people continue to wreck them, it will become increasingly more affordable to source high quality electric components. As battery chemistry advances and cell power density is improved, electric "hot rodding" will definitely become a market of significant size.

Electric Miata running low 9's at +140mph, I believe this guy is in the 8s now...

Old Aug 5, 2015, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zomg! this is going to be good!
Subscribed
Mitsubishi japan abandoned theirs back in 2006...
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...d-1280x960.jpg

apparently this was the cluster: http://wallpaper.pickywallpapers.com...iev-gauges.jpg

Cant wait for your next installment of this build

Quick Reply: CT9A Resurrection and Innovation