Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice build and top quality parts! Can you share details on the short shifter, who makes it and where did you order it from? How was the install? I just bought an Evo X and I hate the throws and the lose gear-box feel. Would love to improve that.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by stupidadult
Nice build and top quality parts! Can you share details on the short shifter, who makes it and where did you order it from? How was the install? I just bought an Evo X and I hate the throws and the lose gear-box feel. Would love to improve that.
I ordered it directly from TWM Performance. It consists of the full short shifter and cage, under hood bushings, and shifter gate bushings. The install was pretty easy - I'd rate it a 3/10. Most of the process was just pulling the center console apart or removing my intake for the bushings. I'd say it was a worthwhile mod for me!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by MarkV1184
I ordered it directly from TWM Performance. It consists of the full short shifter and cage, under hood bushings, and shifter gate bushings. The install was pretty easy - I'd rate it a 3/10. Most of the process was just pulling the center console apart or removing my intake for the bushings. I'd say it was a worthwhile mod for me!
Cool. I bet it's def worthwhile. I think I'll have to invest. The underwood bushings, is that for the cable itself or something, or some mechanical piece under the hood. I didn't think about that, I just figured it would be the short shifter itself (and cage). Are the directions straight forward? You rated 3/10 so assuming I can tackle this myself. Thanks.

Edit: Did you get the "Full replacement with Right hand drive short shifter"?

Last edited by stupidadult; Feb 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:27 PM

UPDATE:

The parts are starting to pile up. I've recently purchased a set of AEM digital gauges (AFR, Boost, and Oil Pressure), a used ETS recirculating downpipe, and a Depo Racing test pipe. I feel like I cheaped out on the test pipe a bit, but the reviews seem to be great! Just to be safe, I've ordered new gaskets for the downpipe.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-6tys2xol.jpg

I'm still debating on which gauge pod setup to go with. I'm leaning toward the CPE setup so the gauges will be easily readable while I'm driving. My main concern with the CPE gauge pod is that I'm a bit short (5'8") and I'm worried it will mess with my field of vision too much. Unfortunately, my only other option seems to be an A-pillar setup, which I'm not too thrilled about.

I'm also looking to finish up the exhaust before I install all the parts and head to 5150 Racing for another tune. I'm looking for something 3" straight through, but don't want anything too loud - any suggestions?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 09:11 PM

UPDATE:

The installation has begun! Luckily I don't daily drive my Evo, so I'm taking my time through the installation. I've ordered new gaskets (came with JDM packing peanuts!) for my downpipe to be on the safe side and picked up a new impact wrench to add to the toolcase. Needless to say, the impact wrench has already earned its value.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-j72xjrbl.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-1ztdauol.jpg

So far the installation is going as smooth as I had hoped. With CA weather and 5k miles on the car, none of the exhaust bolts are seized up enough that overnight PB Blast soaking doesn't do the trick. In ~3 hours of work, I've managed to remove all four of the passenger-side facing o2 housing bolts. I've left the driver-side nut soaking and I'll tackle the rest of the exhaust over the weekend.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-vpj7fyhl.jpg

I've purchased an Ultimate Racing catback exhaust from a fellow board member. It should be arriving on Tuesday and I should be finishing up the exhaust installation then!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you still enjoying the Swift Springs ?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 09:16 AM

BIG UPDATE INCOMING

EXHAUST:
After what felt like an entire day's worth of work, I finally got the stock downpipe off.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-hqieg5kl.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-slvx6bal.jpg

After an experience like that, I decided to put some never-seez on the bolt threads and installed the ETS recirculated downpipe and test pipe.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-p0z067el.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-eqxzj9el.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-mcvu5qql.jpg

I later decided to swap out my original test pipe with an ETS HFC. The smell from the rear end may have garnered some unwanted attention from CA cops.

Not pictured is a resonated Ultimate Racing 3" exhaust that I've mated to finish up the exhaust. The tone is great, but does tend to drone a bit on the freeway. I don't daily my Evo, so this isn't a huge issue for me.

GAUGES:
I picked up some a set of AFR, Boost, and Oil Pressure AEM Digital gauges and ordered a triple A-pillar pod from JCS Pods. The pod quality is great and has OEM fitment since it uses an OEM pillar.

The installation for all three sensors took around 4 hours and a lot of cuts on my hands. I'm a very averagely built guy -- I can't imagine how anyone bigger than me would be able to route wires and sensors without losing a hand completely.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-v8iqqfwl.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-2ljypnul.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-7f4s6nxl.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-noigl5tl.jpg

SUSPENSION
This was a bit of a surprise upgrade. While a late night sales forum browsing session, I ran across an incredible deal on a set of Fortune Auto 500s that had around 3000 miles on them. I jumped on them immediately, since they suit my current needs for the car. I'm hoping to get 6 track days in the next year, so these should set me up for some early success until I decide to get more seat time.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-iqcbakal.jpg

After installation and doing some height adjustment, here is how the car sits now.

MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-lckiy6il.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-cuya4xel.jpg
MarkV1184's 2015 Evo X FE Build-37sxbcpl.jpg

After mulling back and forth about alignment specs, I finally landed on the following set:

Front Camber: -2.5
Front Toe: 0
Rear Camber: -1.8
Rear Toe: 0

RETUNED:
After installing all of my exhaust components, I took the car back to the guys at 5150 Racing and had it retuned. I couldn't be any happier with the results! The car is now running at 298 WHP / 328 TQ which was read on a Mustang Dyno.
Old May 14, 2017, 06:41 PM

Did you compare the weight of the shifter cage and how do you like the FA500

Nice car by the way. I got an Fe to and of the same color but mine is CA0197 (Canadian one)