Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

My Evo 9 Build. from noob to building my own turbos inside!

Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am so satisfied that everything I came here to see is on the first page. Most build threads are 40 pages of stuff with excitement once every 3 or 4 pages. You made it too easy for us lol. Nice transformation man, definitely a path I would like to take.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by josh_evo9
I am so satisfied that everything I came here to see is on the first page. Most build threads are 40 pages of stuff with excitement once every 3 or 4 pages. You made it too easy for us lol. Nice transformation man, definitely a path I would like to take.
Thank you! I hate those build pages too. Clicking forever just to not find anything good. I may continue my build on a "Part 2" once I have a lot of stuff to post. Keep it simple like this was
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Plus who doesn't love lots of pictures and videos!?!?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

So i decided to take my 20G apart, since my whole car is apart for a 5 speed swap, and many other upgrades, just to measure all the tolerances and inspect the wear on the bearings at 4-500 miles. Keep in mind i bought everything component balanced, and just threw it together, everything was just about brand new by the looks of it.
Attached Thumbnails My Evo 9 Build. from noob to building my own turbos inside!-img_0244.jpg  
Old Dec 10, 2016, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
A DBB MHI FP-RED maxed out with E85 would make the same power you are making now. Dyno numbers are just numbers. I would recommend instead of chasing numbers you look at the powerbands on the dyno graphs. Compare and Contrast them so you understand how different turbos develop horsepower and torque at certain RPMs. Maybe you have done that but I get the impression you haven't.

Based on the factors I am reading from your thread I think I know why your transfercase failed. The transfercase is connected directly to the front axles. One wheel spinning while the other has traction leads to bad stuff on AWD. It all comes down to launch technique.

How did you launch it?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
A DBB MHI FP-RED maxed out with E85 would make the same power you are making now. Dyno numbers are just numbers. I would recommend instead of chasing numbers you look at the powerbands on the dyno graphs. Compare and Contrast them so you understand how different turbos develop horsepower and torque at certain RPMs. Maybe you have done that but I get the impression you haven't.

Based on the factors I am reading from your thread I think I know why your transfercase failed. The transfercase is connected directly to the front axles. One wheel spinning while the other has traction leads to bad stuff on AWD. It all comes down to launch technique.

How did you launch it?
Maxed MHI Red makes over 600 on E85. Look at Abacus's build thread. Stock block and cams Evo 9, he pushed it to like 610whp before building the motor.
The following users liked this post:
EvoIX89 (Dec 11, 2016)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Maxed MHI Red makes over 600 on E85. Look at Abacus's build thread. Stock block and cams Evo 9, he pushed it to like 610whp before building the motor.
Its like you are telling me my point is wrong because I wasn't specific enough in my wording. I could have posted links to multiple builds with DBB MHI FP reds that make more power than this build but I chose not to.

Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

How did you launch it?
I have ran DBB red before, and I'm very aware of the comparisons you would like me to make. for the specific dyno made 538whp with a 20G, i also made 550whp on pump gas with a Xona rotor 7164, same dyno. I understand what your saying about looking at power band, but thats not my maine focus. Yes, its really cool to see 500+ from a 20G style turbo, but those numbers don't mean much with out trap speed at the track. Im just stating the things I've tried and what I'm interested in now. My red made 486 on a Mustang dyno with pump, and my 20G made 538 on a dynojet. yet. power bands between the 2 aren't much different, but I'm trapping 125 in a 6 speed and 20G, VS 119 with the FP red and 6 speed. and the 20G spools faster than the red i had.

Also that transfer case diff had 100K+ miles on it, and the last time i launched it, i dumped it really hard. Right before it broken i ran an 11.35 which was m fastest pass pf any the 4 turbos I've ran before. i guess the OEM differential didn't like it lol Ive had about 50 track passes and countless street launches since I've owned the car on the same differential.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 07:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome thread, really enjoyed the progress and where your evo is going. Keep up the great work!
EvoIX89 (Dec 11, 2016)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 05:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great read!
EvoIX89 (Dec 15, 2016)
Old Dec 15, 2016, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Its like you are telling me my point is wrong because I wasn't specific enough in my wording. I could have posted links to multiple builds with DBB MHI FP reds that make more power than this build but I chose not to.

You're wording is fairly clear...

How did you launch it?
EvoIX89 (Dec 16, 2016)
Old Dec 16, 2016, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You're wording is fairly clear...
I see you are not one of those people that read in between the lines.

I forgot that the internet is serious business. Thanks for trying to correct me on semantics. /s
Old Dec 16, 2016, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting read!
EvoIX89 (Dec 16, 2016)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I want a 20g turbo. How much is something like that built?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
I want a 20g turbo. How much is something like that built?
If you wanted everything to be new like mine, I paid about $750 for everything shipped to my door, that included: CHRA, bearing/rebuild kit, turbine wheel, compressor wheel, turbine housing, surge port compressor cover and compressor cover c-clip. You can save some money by getting a cast compressor wheel but I believe these billet ones have wayyyyy more potential.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Evo 9 Build. from noob to building my own turbos inside!