Notices
For Sale - Cars For Sale Includes all models. If you have a vehicle for sale, place it in here.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: Illegal Evo's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope, even though its the same chassis, unless you get a letter from mitsu saying they are built to the same standards for all countries its a no go
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by overdrive1
- 99% of the people are doing it, so it is legal now cause you said so. Got it.

- again not true if you follow the rules, you are good.
thats not what he said... its not that since everyone does it its legal. he just ssaying that there's a lot of things that are Illegal but noone gives a ****, thats all. Because if we did give a **** we wouldn't be moding our evo's

and for the second part - if you follow rules you are good - WRONG - i would agree that you should be safe, and in MOST cases with proper paper work noone would do you harm, -- BUT -- if they want to take something from you for watever reason, paper or not, legal or not, they can take it if they please, and if you disagree with that, then you're living in heaven

im not gonna get into details, but i've been in situations where i've done nothing wrong, everything was legit, and i still got screwed
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by ezzey
thats not what he said... its not that since everyone does it its legal. he just ssaying that there's a lot of things that are Illegal but noone gives a ****, thats all. Because if we did give a **** we wouldn't be moding our evo's

and for the second part - if you follow rules you are good - WRONG - i would agree that you should be safe, and in MOST cases with proper paper work noone would do you harm, -- BUT -- if they want to take something from you for watever reason, paper or not, legal or not, they can take it if they please, and if you disagree with that, then you're living in heaven

im not gonna get into details, but i've been in situations where i've done nothing wrong, everything was legit, and i still got screwed
OMG. Someone actually gets what I was saying. Thank you.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by s.gaspar
the car has to meet regluations to be imported as a track car. there was a guy on here tryin to import an evo 6 rs 2 for track purpose and he got denied
Thank you for the answer buy I have two questions from that what is needed for that (show/track vehicle) and the original question was if you were able to import it as one of the two could it be switched once its old enough.

I have read a ton on the skyline R32/34 mess so I understand most of this stuff just didnt know if you could repurpose a vehicle as an antique once its old enough.

Also in response to one of the above posts (though technically off topic) it is much easier to get approval for an imported car that had also had a version of it sold in the US. If I reemeber correctly, the crash testing at that point Im not sure is still necessary though the safety features still need to be modified and converted to US DOT standards before it clears customs. (typically glass replacement is an obvious one but one of many). It makes it so its far cheaper to buy the US version and most times cheaper to convert the us version to JDM (not necessarily legal but avoids paperwork issures) than to import it and convert it to US standards.

It is a good point that many evo owners care more about performance than legality though the point of this thread is not to show how to use the grey area to skirt the line of not getting caught, its to warn those who have more money than brains/experience to be wary of people who are selling cars that have made their way into the country or are just waiting for a buyer before they are shipped, because chances are good that they will not be able to be registered and can also be siezed by the feds and pending document review/legal battle you may or may not get your car back.

Last edited by dolson222; Apr 22, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what happens with the seized vehicle? are they crushed?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen 2 Evo 6 TME's, an R32, & an R34 GTT driving on the street with a dealer plate. I'm curius how things would look for those guys if they got pulled over....probably not good. Even though dealers have umbrella coverage for all the vehicle's they own, so proof of insurance wouldn't be a problem, but regristration... busted! It's sucks though that getting to own an Evo II will probably never happen...
Old Jul 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

3. Buy EVO parts and swap it into a mirage. This method could be debatable since it is not EPA compliant.. This is not the same as a VIN swap. A VIN swap is illegal.

not all states follow the same standards though. If you did have a mirage or a galant and did a complete swap including body panels and motor certain states do not even require emissions let alone state inspections. States like california, and PA do require it. Living here in Kentucky right now, you just pay a sales tax each year. No inspection, tires can be bald, no exhaust etc etc.

I would hate to be one of the few who purchased the car, and then have it taken away.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dolson222
Thank you for the answer buy I have two questions from that what is needed for that (show/track vehicle) and the original question was if you were able to import it as one of the two could it be switched once its old enough.

I have read a ton on the skyline R32/34 mess so I understand most of this stuff just didnt know if you could repurpose a vehicle as an antique once its old enough.

Also in response to one of the above posts (though technically off topic) it is much easier to get approval for an imported car that had also had a version of it sold in the US. If I reemeber correctly, the crash testing at that point Im not sure is still necessary though the safety features still need to be modified and converted to US DOT standards before it clears customs. (typically glass replacement is an obvious one but one of many). It makes it so its far cheaper to buy the US version and most times cheaper to convert the us version to JDM (not necessarily legal but avoids paperwork issures) than to import it and convert it to US standards.

It is a good point that many evo owners care more about performance than legality though the point of this thread is not to show how to use the grey area to skirt the line of not getting caught, its to warn those who have more money than brains/experience to be wary of people who are selling cars that have made their way into the country or are just waiting for a buyer before they are shipped, because chances are good that they will not be able to be registered and can also be siezed by the feds and pending document review/legal battle you may or may not get your car back.
I know of one guy that was able to get an Evo VII imported under track only due to the homologation requirements for ralley cars. It still took a letter from Mitsubishi as proof, which took nine months worth of work.

As to the U.S. compairable cars. If the vehicle is manufactured in a country other that the U.S. it is required to under go crash testing in it is not on the import list published by the DOT. The execption is if the manufacturew will provide a letter to the DOT that the vehicle was tested to U.S. crash standards. That is (almost) impossible to get.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
A friend of mine tried to import a Toyota (Lexus here) from Japan. Long story short, he got a call saying he had one hour to come get his personal belongings from the vehicle. He got to watch 30K get reduced to 2 ft by 2 ft.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
I've seen 2 Evo 6 TME's, an R32, & an R34 GTT driving on the street with a dealer plate. I'm curius how things would look for those guys if they got pulled over....probably not good. Even though dealers have umbrella coverage for all the vehicle's they own, so proof of insurance wouldn't be a problem, but regristration... busted! It's sucks though that getting to own an Evo II will probably never happen...
Here in NJ, im pretty sure the dealer plate carries its own registration which is valid for all cars that the plate is attached to.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:57 AM

What if you were looking into buying a Evo but when you type in the vin number it says its a 94 4d lancer...? Is it a illegal import
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Exclusiveind187
What if you were looking into buying a Evo but when you type in the vin number it says its a 94 4d lancer...? Is it a illegal import
its been vin swapped. Vin swapping is illegal.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I've recently been seeing a ton of Illegal Evo's being sold on this forum and was wondering what the forum rules are about these. I know everyone wants them cause they are unique / fun / cheap etc, but at the end of the day they are illegal. Unless the seller can provide compliance paperwork, it is illegal. Some of the paperwork a buyer should look for are

- Customs Bond release Letter
- EPA compliance Letter
- Letter from RI with list of modifications done to federalize the car to US standards, which by the way does not exist for Evo's 1 to 7 since they were never crash tested for NHTSA.

If you do not have these then you are looking at an illegally imported ( smuggled ) vehicle.

Some examples of Illegal vehicles that sellers try to pass off as Legal vehicles.

- Florida, New Hampshire etc titled vehicles - The vehicle may have a state title, but they are still illegal unless you have the federalization paperwork. The car can be confiscated.

- Mirage titled Lancers with a US Mirage VIN - Such vehicles are illegal at a different level . But it could be a good thing depending on how you look at it - cause it comes with the possibility of getting free food and accommodation, and free towing and storage for the vehicle, contact your nearest CBP office for this offer.

- Canadian Titled - Still illegal since they were never sold in Canada by Mistubishi

Be careful and know what you are buying people !!
If You want a legal car just get a Pinto, when U crash it nothing is left
Evo 1 which I have is stronger build than my old evo 10, ( has crush bars inside the doors and other reinforcements ) Speed is illegal, that`s why we evo fans like it. but if someone wants to be square than Your advise is good for someone who cares. EVO
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
NO!!!! People who made those rules make money on this. Look up HHO, it saves fuel but they won`t` let us install it legally cause gas sale would drop, but people install HHO generators in their cars
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:48 PM

I have never seen someone act so passionate about someone else have a "barely" legal or illegal vehicle. One would think it was something important like a gun that had a serial number shaved off... Get a life... Its a car... They arent gonna hurt you or anyone else by having that car. Prime example of whats wrong with the world.

Quick Reply: FS: Illegal Evo's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7