Notices
For Sale - Suspension / Brakes / Handling Includes pads, rotors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and other handling related components.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: Custom Koni Double Adjustable Shocks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FS: Custom Koni Double Adjustable Shocks

********************************SOLD************** *****************

What: These shocks are double adjustable (rebound and compression) Koni 8611 inserts in modified Evo housings with the stock perch welded on at stock height. They were built by Truechoice Koni Racing Services in Ohio. This setup is PERFECT for SCCA SoloII A-Stock class or as a definite upgrade to your MR/GSR/RS stock suspension.

Timeframe/Usage: These shocks have been on my car since April. In that time I have done ~11 autocrosses and 4 track days. They have never been daily driven on anything but the softest settings, and never turned to 100% full soft or hard.

Technical: Shocks only affect roll rates, they do not change max roll values, which means that shocks are only a benefit in transitions, not steady state cornering. For autocross, these shocks have allowed my 03 to transition much better than any stock Evo I have ridden in or driven. Since autocross is transition after transition, these shocks are the perfect setup for A-stock. Having compression and rebound adjustments will allow you to fine tune to surface conditions, weather conditions, and course layout. These shocks have been revalved to allow greater adjustment range in the dampening area suitable for stock spring rates. Even so, the dampening level of these shocks far exceeds the necessary dampening for stock spring rates, and therefore, would easily be able to handle any lowering spring you may have for those not involved in autocross.

Feel: Turned all the way down, your car will feel like it is floating over the road surface (Caddy-like), and it is quite disconcerting the first time you feel it since it feel nothing like a stock Evo ride. Yes, these ride better than an MR suspension. Turned up though, they will make your back hurt, and you will feel every surface imperfection in the road.

Adjustments: 12 clicks compression, 2.5 turns of rebound.

Notes: These shocks will cause the noise insulator on the top of your shock to blow out in the rear. Therefore, over bumps, without the stereo on, you will hear clunking from the rear of the car. This is normal, and has no ill affect on performance. You can change the rear top hats out, but one you turn the shocks up, you run the risk of the noise insulator blowing out again. Also, one of the front shocks was rebuilt over the summer due to pin damage from a HUGE speedbump-like bump at an autocross (150$ rebuild at Koni-NA), that only affected one shock. I inspected both after the race. Everything is now in 100% perfect working condition.

Why: First, note that these shocks are still as good as the day I got them. I am selling because I am switching classes, which stems from the fact that I am tracking my car more often, and I am longing for stiffer springs and camber.

Price: $1350+shipping.
New, this setup ran $1836.27 (I have the invoice). 450$/shock. Therefore, you are getting this barely used, still in new condition, amazing set of shocks for the price of 3 shocks.

For this price you will get the four shocks (tophats & springs included), the valving charts I was given after purchase, a Koni adjuster for rebound adjustment, and an adjuster (ie. bent flathead) for compression adjustment.

Delivery: I am located in Asheville, North Carolina and, soon, Clemson, South Carolina. The shocks are currently on the car. Due to a lack of garage (at the moment), 20 degree temps, and having to move, I will be unable to take them off of the car until January (unless they are purchased next week).

Followup: Please email me at dclancy@clemson.edu or PM me on here with any follow up questions. I tried to touch on everything, but I am sure I have missed something. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Pictures:

These pictures were taken when I recieved the shocks in April.

Devin

Last edited by Solo Evo; Jan 24, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I really don't think this thread does enough justice for this product...Devin essentially went to a Koni rebuild center and gave them specifics for what kind of setup he wanted, and his goals...They delivered, but exceeded anyone's expectations, including Devin's...Devin has placed in most events he has competed in, gone to SCCA national events, and placed second (Limited AWD class) recently in SuperStreet's Time Attack at Road Atlanta...This is a guy who has been racing stock class in his car for the last 2-3 years, he can tell you to the tenth of a setting where your setup should be (literally!!)...Anyone who has tried to upgrade the stock suspension will tell you this is no easy affair, if you are staying in the stock class...Save yourself the lay-over time, sending off your stock struts off to Koni yourself is a long, tedious affair (especially if you have no donor struts)...I have been friends with this person for the last 8 years or so, and I can tell you he is one of the most intelligent and standup guys I know...I'm sure any question you can think of, Devin can answer, so please feel free to PM him if you have any questions...Good luck to all, it is a shame Koni doesn't offer such a great product off the rack...
-Austin

Last edited by xX v0oDo0 Xx; Dec 9, 2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Bump.

Devin
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Lunchtime bump. Any intrest?

Devin
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

doesnt koni usually have lifetime on their products?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Not that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. These came with a 90-day warranty.

Devin
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Afternoon Bump.

Devin
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

If you're interested at all, don't hesitate to email me. I'll answer any questions you might have.

Devin
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Still up for grabs.

Devin
Old Dec 15, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Friday afternoon bump.

Devin
Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Bump.

Devin
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

To add to this post:

These shocks are also legal for SCCA T2 class and a must if you want to be competitive. I ran similar Koni db shocks in 2004/05 (A-Stock) and they performed beyond my expectations. A superior ride compared with the factory KYB's. There is several places across the country that can rebuild these if needed.

I do not know the person that started this thread, but do know the quality of the shocks he is selling.

Dave
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Wish i got $1350...
Old Jan 25, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Solo Evo
Friday afternoon bump.

Devin
Devin,

I'm interested. Are the shocks still available? PM me with your e-mail address so we can communicate more easily. Thanks.

Michael

(I've sent you a PM also.)
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by george3; Dec 23, 2008 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: FS: Custom Koni Double Adjustable Shocks