Notices
For Sale - Wheels / Tires Includes wheels, tires, bolts, and other related components.
Mark this thread as Unsold

How to properly package and ship tires and wheels.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks OP
this deserves to become a sticky
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

I shipped two wheels today!

From Florida to Michigan and I must say it was a breeze but DONT GO TO POSTAL ANNEX or MOM AND POPS POST SHOPS.

If you can go to UPS, i went there after work and i gave them the dimensions of my wrap 26x26x10 and the weight 46lbs and asked for the price and ite would of been $30 cheaper.

So for two wheels with tires at 46lbs each total came out to $80. thats alot Ups would of been $56 for two wheels.

Method I used for the wheels- I cut a round circle out of cardboard , placed it on from of the wheel. Then with packaging wrap I wrapped the crap out of the wheels with tires still on them. After that I got tape and gave it a couple turns and thats it.

For a safer way put newspapers in between the wheels face and the cardboard so it wont get marked up or scratched.

The wheels were- enkie oem 6 spokes w/ 235 45 17 tires- 46lbs each
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent thread!

Very useful!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

wow not sticky worthy yet...hummm
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

i manage a ups store so i'll add in a few tips and tricks to save some money(usually).

first off go to a ups facility or a ups store for the cheapest rate. they both charge the same and you can look up your local one at ups.com or theupsstore.com. if you dont have ups close to you then make sure you go directly to a fedex facility or fedex kinkos which is now fedex office. any other places will charge between 20 to 30 percent more than what you would pay at any of the direct locations.

if you ship tires, attaching two together is the cheapest way. at my store i charge 5 bucks a set of tires to attach them and most places will be around there. if you want to save the 5 bucks per set then you can do it like we do and wrap tape between the inside to the outside 3 places around the tire. attach the label to one of the tape sections and then tape it down. if you have ever received tires that were strapped you know what i mean. your just making straps out of tape.

if your shipping rims then put them in boxes. 18's and under can usually go in sets of two and try to use whats called double walled boxes, there much stronger and give more protection. 19's and larger are sometimes cheaper in separate boxes. when you pack rims make sure there is extra cardboard on the top and bottom and make sure to put a few layers in between, also make sure you fill it super tight with peanuts. a rule of thumb for packing materials is to overfill it by 10%you should be able to close it by squeezing it all in and it should pop open when you let go when theres no tape on it.

if you ship rims with tires mounted to them then only send them in sets of two if they are strapped. most ups stores will strap them for between 5-10 dollars a set as long as they have the straps. a set is too much weight to go unstrapped. the main ups and fedex facilities do not carry packing supplies nor will they help you pack anything. cut round disks of cardboard for both side of each rim. either use two pieces of single walled cardboard on both side or one piece of double walled cardboard on each side(it makes a big difference). use tape to hold the cardboard on. do not use cellophane or plastic wrap, you are not supposed to ship with it.

Heres some examples of cardboard
Single walled

Double walled

a few things to remember are that the prices are sometimes influenced by the size of the item being shipped so be careful how much large your boxes are if your using boxes. i recommended what is usually cheaper but don't be afraid to call your local stores for quotes and estimates. most stores don't give quotes without seeing the items but they all give estimates. there is a surcharge for each package sent that is not in a cardboard box but sometimes its cheaper to pay that than to buy boxes, most stores don't know to charge the surcharge so they get back charged and you don't have to pay it.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

[[[do not use cellophane or plastic wrap, you are not supposed to ship with it. ]]]

Really thats how i shipped those two sets and the next four wheels/tires i am shipping via ups will be the same.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

i didn't say you cant. be my guest to. but its againt ups's and fedex's rules and they will deny any insurance claims if they are lost or damaged. just a fore warning.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

SHIPPED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

I shipped a set of BBS evo 9 wheels with tires. This time I shipped them with UPS in staples. Heres the rundown of what i paid and stats.

wheels with tires- 40lbs each
Shipping from Lakeland,Fl to Miami ,Fl
Price each-$22 +$8 handling fee=$30
OVERNIGHT SHIPPING

I paid a total of $120 for 4 wheels with tires -distance was aprox 400miles

I shipped these with the same method above and the way the "how to'' explains to do it. Basically 2 pieces of carboard ,shipping wrap all around, then tape it like no tomorrow.

I asked if shipping with package wrap was bad and the UPS rep told me, Its perfectly fine if I was to put the set up in a box It will still cost the same because you will need a large box. The diffrence in the prices is that the object is not in a box so they charge extra for that.

There you have it another shipping on point. Using these methods!

And heres the response of the buyer when he recieved his wheels, trust me guys this method works
thanks again Alex. Thanks for the great deal and amazing shipping. You did a top notch job on the shipping of each wheel

Jeff

Last edited by Alex Rodriguez; Jan 24, 2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:41 PM

a couple of years ago I shipped a set of OEM mazda 6 rims from South TX to NYC and i Had boxed them myself going to a local rim shop and asking for discarded rim boxes. Tape up over the logos so they don't know they're rims that I was shipping and they charged like 20 per rim. Mazda 6 stockers were a little on the heavy side.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Srry for bring up and old thread. I'm trying to sign up to ups but u need to fill out a company form which I wouldn't have. Any other way of doing it?