Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock Fmic Peak

Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Fmic Peak

Hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could help and let me know when the stock FMIC is maxed out? How much whp would you think you would need before you should upgrade? Any info would help.

Thanx
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Thats not quite how it works. It isn't a jug for water, you dont exactly max it out.
Im sure that on a stock car you will see a performance gain with a more efficient intercooler.
On a more modified car flowing larger volumes of air the gains will be greater.
Unless you really mismatch either an extra large intercooler on low boost (5-15psi) or vise versa you should consider upgrading it only when it is the most logical in sequence. On a WRX it is a good idea since the stock one is so small and isnt front mounted. On an evo it is fairly decent size and great location so replacement isn't really justified untill you have addressed other mods first. You can still do it and will probly gain some power but for he extra 10 or so HP on a stock car it isn't worth the cash IMHO.

My 2 cents
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:15 PM
Account Disabled

It will flow what ever your stock turbo can floe on it and has been in the 11's
Old Jul 7, 2004, 03:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
However, you will see gains upgrading to a more efficient core on the stock turbo...
Old Jul 7, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Basically i got a good amount of mods. But basically i just need to know if i will need a bigger intercooler for a Garrett GT35/40R .63 a/r turbo.

Thanx
Chris
Old Jul 7, 2004, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

IDK how a FMIC upgrade would help so much with a Stock turbo. Some say they see WHP gain from it, others say they do not, or maybe a small gain of 2-3 WHP. Upgrading piping certainly helps, the stockers swell up pretty big on the Dyno probably drops the PSI some, and the stock lower pipe is VERY restrictive and upgrading pipes certainly ups the WHP.

The Stock FMIC flows over 600CFM's, the Stock 16G maxed out can only hit 550CFMS, the FMIC is not taxed, it can handle it and with very little pressue drop.

Now upgrade to a Bigger FMIC, well hell they can handle anywhere from 850-1000+++CFM's and very little pressure drop, but now introduce a turb that is maybe too small and the pressure drop is too great, kinda like trying to use a hair dryer to to fill a Hot Air Balloon. The cooler air may be cancelled out by the pressue drop.

Again I may be wrong, some people see gains, I have seen a Stock Turbo-Stock FMIC-upgraded pipes run an 11.7, the turbo is maxxed out before the FMIC, so I see no need, get a bigger turbo, get a bigger FMIC for sure. Is see no advantage of one Evo with a stock FMIC and Turbo over a Upgraded FMIC and stock turbo.

Last edited by umiami80; Jul 7, 2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

After that last statement, he NEEDS one.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by umiami80
Again I may be wrong, some people see gains, I have seen a Stock Turbo-Stock FMIC-upgraded pipes run an 11.7, the turbo is maxxed out before the FMIC, so I see no need, get a bigger turbo, get a bigger FMIC for sure. Is see no advantage of one Evo with a stock FMIC and Turbo over a Upgraded FMIC and stock turbo.
If for no other reason, the OE core appears to be a SHlTTY heatsink... at least in the warmer climates. Look at knock count on OE vs most aftermarket cores. No one said bolt one on and it would make huge power...
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

The stock unit is a pretty nice unit, but with that turbo you will definitely need an upgrade.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:18 PM
Account Disabled

It works fine for me, it works fine for the Evo. I have seen an Evo with nothing other then a larger FMIC put on Dyno pretty much the same @ TT. I doubt the knock is from the FMIC as it is from improper tuning.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all your help guys. Im hoping this will help everybody help me make a decision. Im gonna post all my mods and see what we can come up with THANX AGIAN!

ATP Turbo Kit GT35/40R .63 a/r
HKS 272/272 cams
HKS Cam Gears
Perrin Cat Delete Pipe
HKS Carbon Ti Exhaust
Greddy 1000cc Injectors
Buschur Intercooler Piping
Buschur Small Battery Kit
AEM EMS converted to Speed Density
Unorthodox Pulley Kit
HKS Type II BOV
ACT Clutch and Pressure Plate
Walbro 255lb fuel pump
ARP Headstuds
Defi Gauges
PSX Wideband

So what do you think would it be a good idea to get a FMIC to get the most out of my setup?

Thanx!
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't looked into them yet, but I'll prob get something from ATP (I'll talk to them first.) But I'm sure Buschurs kits are good.

Tho, one thing I'm doing differently is I'm going to run all custom intercooler piping. (And intake piping)
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Ya i thought buschur has some good piping but i have to get a custom intake since nobody makes a 4" intake pipe for the GT35/40R
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
The interesting thing with Buscher is that they don't sell lower IC pipes. What does that tell you about the performance value?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
The interesting thing with Buscher is that they don't sell lower IC pipes. What does that tell you about the performance value?
I guess they sell it with the FMIC kit only. But my turbo kit came with the lower piping so thats why i didnt need it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock Fmic Peak