Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Cant Browse the Forum!

Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cant Browse the Forum!

For two days I've had problems loading Evom since the new version of Firefox came out (on Linux).

I browse at work, and well I do it by tunneling around our bluecoat, so I can only do it using Firefox on my Ubuntu 10.10 Linux desktop, however it's also happening on my home Linux pc. Seems to work okay from Firefox and IE in Windows, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues. Appears to be *only* Evom. All other sites work great.

This is info from my home desktop:
Distro Build:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid

Browser Version:
Mozilla Firefox 11.0

Evom URL Failure Examples:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/in...ution-x-forums
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...le-wanted-270/

Maybe and admin can check the site logs and see if it's a problem with hosting. I'm more likely to think FF11 just sucks ***, but who knows, maybe Apache or Tomcat just needs bouncing. Since this only happens with Evom
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Mother-*****es! Not more then 2 mins after posting this, I get a freakin' update and now have Firefox 12 -__-

Guess I'll report back if that fixes it
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, so this still doesn't work...
So did so more digging and it looks like you guys are just blocking browsing from Linux.

seriously WTF!? -__- I know I'm probably one of like 10 Evo owners actually browsing the forums using Linux, but why block us?

If I launch Evom from anonymouse.org the site works great.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

bump..anyone, admin, another linux user?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:44 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi,

I'm not aware of any intentional blocking of Linux and so far you are the only person reporting the issue plus I can't duplicate your problem. Do you have another phone or computer not running Linux you could try? Thanks.

Bob
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
Hi,

I'm not aware of any intentional blocking of Linux and so far you are the only person reporting the issue plus I can't duplicate your problem. Do you have another phone or computer not running Linux you could try? Thanks.

Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob.
Good news today it seems to be working fine! But, I wasn't crazy about this I work in IT and tested pretty thoroughly. I'm guessing it was something going on with hosting for the site. But if you can share any of this, here was my testing:

So the first system I noticed it was:
$ lsb_release -a ; firefox --version
No LSB modules are available.
Description: Ubuntu 10.10
Release: 10.10
Codename: maverick
Mozilla Firefox 11.0

This was my VM at work. I accept that virtualbox and vms can be flakey, specially since 10.10 desktop is an old build, so this is when I tested at home

initially home machine had FF11, but right after I posted it updated to 12.

$ lsb_release -a ; firefox --version
No LSB modules are available.
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid
Mozilla Firefox 12.0

This is an LTS, so it's current and fully up to date.

Same issue, I can't access all the links on the page, and usually the default page. I can access specific threads, but if I go to a category it would die with a "Connection reset" or looking at Firebug it was just timing out. Sometimes if I told it to ignore the time out it would take about 3-4 mins to fail.

checked my ISP and everything was good, all the other forums I like were working, FB, gmail, etc.

I tested my home linux machine with chrome and got the same time-out failure.

I tested with IE, Chrome and Firefox in windows ( Win7 64bit ). always working 100% of the time.

I tested with my ICS Android tablet and it worked great both for desktop version and mobile versions of the site. Same with my Android 2.3.1 phone, and my wife's iPad with iOS.

I then tried to use anonymouse.org and the page loaded with no problems on both my home and work linux machines. So it sort left me reasoning that specifically the site was blocking not by the browser but by the OS.

Last night when my wife asked me if it was working again (she worked as a webdesigner until it drove her crazy and she went to doing software development) she pointed out that the hosting company she uses for her site will sometimes migrate her site to new hardware and when they re-rack it's possible a config file didn't get pushed updated for apache or tomcat. I started to realize this was pretty likely and even an Admin for the forum probably wouldn't have an aswswer unless the hosting company was contacted.

Today I'm on the older ubuntu linux vm at work and things are working without an issue...rather quite speedy too.

Thanks for taking a look at my post for me! (and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only linux forum browser, as this is a automotive-centric group, not just pure undying nerdism...or people browse on their phones while they are working on their cars
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Thank you for taking the time post those details. As an IT you are well aware the more details the better to solve problems! Thanks!

Bob..