Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Cop pulled me over for stock muffler....

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cop pulled me over for stock muffler....

I was coming home from Procco's in Orlando tonight, when passed a cop that began to follow me. I thought to myself (did I turn in to fast or something, or was I too close when I passed him?) So, I continued to drive 35mph in fourth in a 35mph zone when he throws his lights on. So here's what happened:

Sheriff: L&R(you know the drill)
Sheriff: I'm pulling you over for a loud muffler
D-VO: Sheriff this is a factory muffler.
Sheriff: Oh really? Well, why is it so loud?
D-VO: (I get to say smugly)Well, 03 to 06 EVO's are said to be "loud" that's why they changed it in 08 for the new EVO X.
Sheriff: What's an EVO?
D-VO: (Is this guy serious?) This [I point toward the front of the car]is an EVO.
Sheriff: What is?
D-VO: (Are you really that dense?) This car is called an EVO because the full name is too long.
Sheriff: Well, I'm not familiar with this car at all to know that it's this loud.
D-VO: Yeah I've been pulled over several times when I had the bigger exhaust and I've had it with being pulled over because of it, so I put the factory muffler back on[which is true].
Sheriff: All right you have a good night.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? A while back I heard someone got pulled over for his factory spoiler which is absolutely rediculous.

What exactly is so bad about having a modified exhaust anyway? The positives of having a modified exhaust should outweigh the only one negative aspect which is that it's loud. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't having a larger exhaust:
1) disapate heat more effectively because engines don't like heat, especially turbo ones, thus effectively raises the life of the engine
2) can be upto 15lbs lighter if your going with a titanium exhaust which the last time I checked my physics can:
a) Improve fuel economy (to a slight extent, but none the less)
b) Improve handling (again to a slight extent, but none the less)
c) Look sexy
d) Sound friggin awesome
3) I'm not driving a beat up 92 Honda Civic with a spaghetti wire mess hanging from under the dash and had several fires in the engine bay because some idiot didn't know what the hell he was doing with a 5" exhaust on a car that obvisouly doesn't need it hanging on a wire hanger with chrome door handles.
4) .......I'll edit this if I think of anymore.

So? What do you guys think?

Last edited by D-VO; May 2, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

go stealth
Old May 2, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kings Fan
go stealth
More stealth than a factory muffler?
Old May 2, 2009, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

go stealth
That would be nice......
Old May 2, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

go stealth
Originally Posted by rcheung
More stealth than a factory muffler?
Old May 2, 2009, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm... what's wrong is that if everyone had a loud *** muffler then seriously it was suck *** going places since it would be loud and annoying as hell. As with many things in life, if almost everyone does the right thing then a few people not doing the right thing seems to be OK for a bit.

Anyway though. That sucks. I got pulled over when I first got my car since they couldn't see my in transits sticker from the back. The sticky stuff sucked and it was hanging down. She almost gave me a ticket for having tint too dark. (I think it's 20% all around but it came that way and looks fine). She cut me from slack since I obviously just got the damned thing and that's the way it came. The second I get pulled over for the spoiler, it's coming off. I like the look of it but not worth the trouble. Luckily it hasn't happened yet

Last edited by Blast83; May 2, 2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: late night spelling...
Old May 2, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blast83
Hmmm... what's wrong is that if everyone had a loud *** muffler then seriously it was suck *** going places since it would be loud and annoying as hell. As with many things in life, if almost everyone does the right thing then a few people not doing the right thing seems to be OK for a bit.

Anyway though. That sucks. I got pulled over when I first got my car since they couldn't see my in transits sticker from the back. The sticky stuff sucked and it was hanging down. She almost gave me a ticket for having tint too dark. (I think it's 20% all around but it came that way and looks fine). She cut me from slack since I obviously just got the damned thing and that's the way it came. The second I get pulled over for the spoiler, it's coming off. I like the look of it but not worth the trouble. Luckily it hasn't happened yet
I wonder if they went to using decibal meters or something else, i don't know. Actually, I kind of remember a book of what decibal readings should be per car. It would be nice to have something like that, but for it to be in favor of cars that actually need better exhausts would be troublesome.

It's BS that I can't have an exhaust on my car when there's Harley's about that produce twice the noise, or when the noise it produces is equivalent to a Gallardo. Why not take a loud car (Mustang maybe?) and use that as a yardstick for people who want to run modified exhasuts? I don't think there will be too many people that can pay the money to have a modified exhaust that's no louder than a Mustang or Gallardo anyway. So, we won't be driving on the highway yelling at our passengers because we're surrounded by Viper pitched exhausts.

Last edited by D-VO; May 2, 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: oops
Old May 2, 2009, 11:22 PM

In my city the cops will pull you over for anything unless you drive a camaro, mustang, or a big redneck 4x4. Whats bad is that all those are LOUDER than me......RIDICULOUS !
Old May 2, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
About two years ago I was parked next to a 600whp evo which was idling and mine was turned off. Guess who the cop went to even though I explained to him my car was turned off.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cops aren't exactly smart...
Old May 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod97
In my city the cops will pull you over for anything unless you drive a camaro, mustang, or a big redneck 4x4. Whats bad is that all those are LOUDER than me......RIDICULOUS !
Thank you! It's a complete load of crap isn't it?

About two years ago I was parked next to a 600whp evo which was idling and mine was turned off. Guess who the cop went to even though I explained to him my car was turned off.
WOW.......
Old May 2, 2009, 11:57 PM

i think it truly it depends on the city you are driving in.

I've hardly ever been pulled over by Orlando cops(and when they did, i was speeding/deserved it, etc.)

But amazingly all (3) times i've driven to St. Could; they pulled me over (each) time for dumb shyt.

First was for "Aftermarket Exhaust", next was "dark tints", last one was for "loud" music. Basically i see it as certain hick town cops have nothing to do in their *cricket* towns so they find excuses to pull over modded cars.

fuggin cerloin. it never fails.

Last edited by Neteru; May 3, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neteru
i think it truly it depends on the city you are driving in.

I've hardly ever been pulled over by Orlando cops(and when they did, i was speeding/deserved it, etc.)

But amazingly all (3) times i've driven to St. Could; they pulled me over (each) time for dumb shyt.

First was for "Aftermarket Exhaust", next was "dark tints", last one was for "loud" music. Basically i see it as certain hick town cops have nothing to do in their *cricket* towns so they find excuses to pull over modded cars.

fuggin cerloin. it never fails.
That's true, I was just talking to a couple of buddies over here that all live in Orlando and have never been pulled over for their exhausts. Either they're very lucky and I just Jinxed them, or I'm living in the wrong part of Florida.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

I see it like this... We all are American and we are programed to B!TCH about everything imaginable and try to win lawsuit's for whatever we possibly can. We also have a very strong pride thing going for us... even though a lot of the cars that are American made SUCK! Thats why I think it seems like everyone is against the "ricers".

The thing that pisses me off the most about cops these days, is that these aszclowns are the SAME kind of people that had loud muscles cars back in the day... or the redneck 4X4 with the straight header's and the super swampers that howled downthe road.

Witha lot of people I think they aren't happy with themselves.. so they try to make others miserable too!

Dan
Old May 3, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mini_evo
I see it like this... We all are American and we are programed to B!TCH about everything imaginable and try to win lawsuit's for whatever we possibly can. We also have a very strong pride thing going for us... even though a lot of the cars that are American made SUCK! Thats why I think it seems like everyone is against the "ricers".

The thing that pisses me off the most about cops these days, is that these aszclowns are the SAME kind of people that had loud muscles cars back in the day... or the redneck 4X4 with the straight header's and the super swampers that howled downthe road.

Witha lot of people I think they aren't happy with themselves.. so they try to make others miserable too!

Dan
Makes sense. You know what? For that matter I remember the "Jap Trap" saying as well. These terms are most likely derived by people who actually like American cars who feel that we as Americans should be purchasing.

BTW: any fast American car is going to be a V8 or bigger, bigger = louder. Then they're telling us that since we have Japanese cars they should be quiet? What's the difference? Fast = loud. Gimme a f/n break.