Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

Hi Guys - Got a Job offering in Orlando, FL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Guys - Got a Job offering in Orlando, FL

Well I'm from Puerto Rico. I work in a medicaid provider as a programmer.

Recently I being doing some interviews and got a job offering in Orlando.

I asked for 70K a year.

Now my question is this enough to support a family of one baby and a wife, two cars (RA 09 and Mazda5) that paid $630 in loans, a house of less than ($100k), and some of the commodities like cell phone, home internet, etc.

We did some exercises with our current expenses in the island and it appears that everything should work out but it was based on the current taxes/ssn/medicaid that is subtracted from my current check. I really don't have an idea how it compares to Orlando those deductions.

We will be a bit tight until my wife get more confident with the english and when she gets a job in her profession everything will get a lot better.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously. Was this post an attempt to brag? Last time I checked this was an automotive forum not an accounting firm.

Bringing in around 5k a month is more than enough for your endeavors and responsibilities. You'll pay taxes in Florida, just as you did in PR; good luck. Yet, with 70k a year you won't really need it. Orlando is cheap living.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by REV.olution
Seriously. Was this post an attempt to brag? Last time I checked this was an automotive forum not an accounting firm.

Bringing in around 5k a month is more than enough for your endeavors and responsibilities. You'll pay taxes in Florida, just as you did in PR; good luck. Yet, with 70k a year you won't really need it. Orlando is cheap living.
its understandable for him to worry, especially with all the current crisis' going on in our country. it takes a whole lot more money to survive in this place then it did just ten years ago. im not an accountant but 70k does sound like you should be alright in Orlando.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

My friend has a house in Orlando. 150k house 15 year mortgage, I don't thinks it's over 800 a month. He'll be fine.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by REV.olution

Dude I'm not braggin is just a concern. Starting over in a new place is not an easy task.

One thing I learned is that Medical Expenses in FL are a lot higher than in PR.
Insurance costs are also higher. Baby Day Care are a lot more expensive (2x or 3x).
Taxes not sure but many people said that are higher.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While is very smart to do research i reccomend you use google and look for websites that help you with cost o living expenses planning.

Yes 70K is enough to live here in Florida,,, i am also from Puerto Rico and enjoy Florida.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:53 PM

I would say the concern is valid. Although I wish I made $70k a year, it may be borderline if your significant other will not be working. Both me and my wife make a little over $70k combined. We live in Tampa and have 3 children and own a $180k home. Taxes are a bit more expensive as well as healthcare. The doctors here are also not as cheap as in PR ( lived in Ponce). So with all that being said, sometimes things get a little rough and I cant fund my Evo X project . You should be ok if you maintain your expenses at a considerable amount.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister_X
I would say the concern is valid. Although I wish I made $70k a year, it may be borderline if your significant other will not be working. Both me and my wife make a little over $70k combined. We live in Tampa and have 3 children and own a $180k home. Taxes are a bit more expensive as well as healthcare. The doctors here are also not as cheap as in PR ( lived in Ponce). So with all that being said, sometimes things get a little rough and I cant fund my Evo X project . You should be ok if you maintain your expenses at a considerable amount.
Excellent that says everything.

Well a small update
I sold the Ralliart locally, I didn't have any other option .

Next year if everything goes fine up there I will be looking for a lightly used Sportback RA. Put it in the 300-320whp range and live happy to the end of days.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't got the RA they were very expensive for my current financial state and went back to a 8thcivic Si this time a four door.

Me and wife regret selling the RA I got it for a really cheap price. But at least the money I made with the sell helped us a lot in the house downpayment.

I miss the low end torque, AWD and the SST.

At least the civic with a tune and a modified stock airbox manage to make almost 200whp. That is close in power-to-weight ratio to my old ralliart setup.
Is slow in the low end but in the top end feels the same as the RA. The handling is much better and isn't very thirsty of gas like the RA.

If things get better I would love to swap the civic for another RA probably a new one and will like to have it with the same package that the one I got in PR specially the Rockford sound system that I miss so much.

Last edited by SharkyPR; Feb 8, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Fast forward 4 years to the present.

Got the RA, a decent family home and work.

Question: Any shop in central florida with the experience of upgrading the tiny RA turbo to the EVOX one?

*Including tuning.

I dont want crazy numbers just enough to have some fun around.