Notices

LOST MY Wheel key( cant take my rim off)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOST MY Wheel key( cant take my rim off)

Hi Guys

I lost my wheel key, for the one nut witht eh flower lock on it, does anyone have and extra one, or can I borrow urs

Please

Thanks guys
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I believe each lock key is made different. You'll have to go to the dealer and talk to them.
They'll have to go to the manufacturer and get you a duplicate of the master key.

You can't borrow someone else's key. if you could, everyone's rims would be stolen
Old Jul 31, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

if you've got the original packaging you should be able to use the serial number on it but I'm guessing it'll take a while to get a replacement sent to you.

Some tire places have a tool that can remove wheel locks. Its similar idea to what you would use to remove a broken bolt but its a single tool (versus drilling a pilot hole and using a reverse bit). The tool fits over the wheel lock (hammered in actually) and is simply reversed out with the impact gun. The tool grips the outside perimeter of the wheel lock. Its pretty fast provided the wheel lock wasn't torqued in really really tight...which it usually is.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 09:42 AM

if its the locks from the dealer, they have copies there so you can get them to remove it for you, i found out when i got my tires rotated and the key was at home
Old Aug 1, 2009, 08:19 PM

Yeah, your dealership most likely have a copy or atleast have a universal wheel key thingy that can be used to unlock it.

When I got my car, they lost the key to my wheel lock but they were still able to replace it with a new set.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

or you could go to a meet and take your chances..i would guess that maybe something like 1 in 6 keys are the same..some dealerships might even charge you to use their "master key"
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackheart1425
Hi Guys

I lost my wheel key, for the one nut witht eh flower lock on it, does anyone have and extra one, or can I borrow urs

Please

Thanks guys
Les Schwab lost my key, lesson learned never leave a tire shop without checking your key is back where you put it.

Say you can't wait for the dealer to order a new key? What do you do?
Some mechanics have wheel lock removal kits. Dealer may have a set of keys and can remove your locks for you. Or you can make your own.

Find a socket that is close to the lock lug diameter which in my case was 22mm. You may need to check your lock lug diameter to see what size would work. Pound the socket over the lock lug a 1/2 in or so and take it off with an air wrench. Getting the lock lug out of the socket is tricky. You might need vise, punch, press, maybe a bearing collar, etc so this is best left for the guys with all the tools.

If you need to do this yourself, you can buy 4 cheap sockets and work on getting the lock lugs out later. This really works best with an air wrench. If you don't have one, you will probably have to pound the sockets more than 1/2 in to keep them from turning. Then they are about impossible to get off. Point is this is a emergency removal technique, not an optimal scenario. Once the lock lugs are off, you can buy a new set.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:26 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Instead of pounding it in, you can also use a welder and put 2-3 tacks on it real quick. It'll hold long enough for the gun to zip it out.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xi
Instead of pounding it in, you can also use a welder and put 2-3 tacks on it real quick. It'll hold long enough for the gun to zip it out.
welding...creative, I like it

The only problem that I see in this is that the wheel lock bolt head has a thick coat of chrome on it. Although its been a while since I played with a mig welder, I think it'll conduct for a mig welder to work, I just don't think you'll get good enough penetration in your weld bead to hold the impact. Assuming the wheel was torqued to the norm of 80lb-ft, the impact gun sometimes is twisting to the neighbourhood of over 200lb-ft (just think of how hard it is sometimes to remove a lug thats been tightened with an impact gun by those morons at the dealer!). The weld bead could easily shear apart.

Its worth a try though versus the wheel lock removal tool because those guys have to hammer the sh_t at the removal tool to get a good bite on the wheel lock before they can use the impact gun. The way they hammer at it i wouldn't be surprised if it screwed up your wheel hub bearing assembly.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We were able to get the socket on the luglock with only a couple of short raps from a hammer. The universal kit I saw was reverse threaded like an easy out so as you ran the airhammer it threaded itself on
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe55
We were able to get the socket on the luglock with only a couple of short raps from a hammer. The universal kit I saw was reverse threaded like an easy out so as you ran the airhammer it threaded itself on
Yup, same reverse threaded out method. When the tire guys tried it on my car the socket wouldn't bite into the wheel lock when they tried the impact gun. After a few really hard wacks the socket grabbed the wheel lock. Could have been that the lug nuts were all really tight to begin with.