Notices

engine over-revving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine over-revving

ok i think this may have been mentioned before somewhere.. but i kind of want to ask again on evom before i goto the dealership for this issue

first of all i drive an 08 lancer gts MT, and since the first time i drove a manual car was when i drove my car off the lot and back home, the first 2-3 times this happened i didnt really take notice to it and thought that thats what manual cars do.

pretty much id be coasting in neutral, and out of nowhere my car would redline, all by itself, without my foot on the gas and without my car in gear, just coasting. People mentioned that its because of the way our ECU works and tries to adjust revs to our driving habits (which i thought was only for CVT?) or because its winter and the car revs periodically just to keep the engine warm.

so it hasnt happend to me in a while, but just right now, literally 5 minutes before i made this post, i was driving home on the highway, going at around 105km/h and heading for the offramp. seeing as i needed to slow down and exit in about 100-150m anyways and with no other cars in sight, i shifted into neutral and coasted my way to the ramp. my car slows down, but at about maybe 80-90km/h, my car suddenly revs, HARD. i got scared for a second, panicked and lightly pumped the brake, but it didnt do anything (it obviously doesnt do anything lol but i was scared) so next thing i did was press the clutch and shift into 5th gear, and the moment my clutch was down my revs returned to normal and didnt jump anymore after that. This random over-revving issue doesnt really affect my safety on the road, but it does kind of worry me a little..

this time around, i KNOW my engine is not reving because the car is cold. its like 15*C outside right now. Has anyone else run into this "problem"? is it only the 08s that do this.. or do manual cars do this sometimes.. or is this just a problem that ive been having @__@
Old Sep 1, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Only when you are in neutral?

Maybe the car is sensing that you are moving so it wants to match your rev's as a safety measure, so you dont put it into first gear going 80 Km/h. I think its reving HARD because there is no resistance when the clutch is not engaged.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 05:29 AM

I drive an 09 gt M/T and that never happens to me. Im no expert on m/t but what i usually do I downshift comming off the high way as i slow down.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 05:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IN the morning on first start up mine reves abnormally high around 2 grand I believe. its funny since I dont even have to give it gas, just clutch work to reverse and go forward to the stop sign. I think its an issue with the cold start in the ecu.. After it warms up everything is fine.

What your explaining should for sure be looked at since that shouldn't be happening. You should also not be neutral dropping the car out of gear. I know its illegal in the states not sure about here but regardless best idea is always to down shift. Dont be lazy, think of it time to practice your heal toe. lol
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:01 AM

this is slightly off topic, but coasting in neutral, especially in an on/ramp off/ramp situation is extremely dangerous. If there is something that happens which is unpredicted you may need to accelerate out of, you will have put yourself at a disadvantage of needing to clutch-in and put into gear again; wasting precious reaction time. you might even panic and fail to get in gear, it could be catastrophic...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

^ i cruise in neutral to save money on gas.....if im coming to a stop. i dont know why i need to down shift....my brakes are sick....so im not worried about stopping.

as far as your engine doing that......take it in for sure! thats just f'ed up! hope they fix the problem for you and not give some BS excuse....cus it definitely sounds like a serioussss problem!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:18 AM

well down shifting makes it safer in the sense that if anything happens and you need quick acceleration, it is to your advantage. also downshifting can take advantage of engine braking (especially beneficial in winter / snow) which puts less wear on your brakes.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

tru...brake pads are really not that expensive.....much cheaper than a new clutch. haha

get what you are saying though. i just meant like pulling up at a stop light etc. i dont pop it in neutral on the hwy.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rontam90
this is slightly off topic, but coasting in neutral, especially in an on/ramp off/ramp situation is extremely dangerous. If there is something that happens which is unpredicted you may need to accelerate out of, you will have put yourself at a disadvantage of needing to clutch-in and put into gear again; wasting precious reaction time. you might even panic and fail to get in gear, it could be catastrophic...
something like a horse running across the road? does that qualify as something unpredicted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrCHLqit2K8&feature=fvw
Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:51 AM

ROFLMAO HAHAAH

nice post soul
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Rotfl!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

coasting and such high speeds in neutral, espeically if u've been using ur brakes quite a bit for the past couple mins. a sudden hard stop can cause your brakes to glaze over and fail...which = u w/o brakes...the engine braking helps prevent this..

so many accidents like this happen in hong kong, last year a tour bus full of people was going down hill the driver was in neutral, and only on brakes, by the time he got to a turn and had to brake harder, his brakes were glazed over. the bus crashed and 18 people died on board.

fyi G, crusing in neutral doesnt save you any money on gas. infact it uses more.

think about it. when ur in gear, the spinning wheels are keeping ur engine rev up (which is why ur car slows down a bit when u let off the gas) the wheels are spinning ur engine above idle rev

how ever, when ur in neutral, ur wheels and ur engine are disconnected, so ur wheels are freely spinning slowing down slower. while ur engine needs to put a bit of gas to keep itself from stalling and over 700rpm.

also the gas u use on empty revs when u blip ur throttle to rev match and get back into gear when ur done coasting on neutral

Last edited by absolute; Sep 1, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by absolute

fyi G, crusing in neutral doesnt save you any money on gas. infact it uses more.

think about it. when ur in gear, the spinning wheels are keeping ur engine rev up (which is why ur car slows down a bit when u let off the gas) the wheels are spinning ur engine above idle rev

how ever, when ur in neutral, ur wheels and ur engine are disconnected, so ur wheels are freely spinning slowing down slower. while ur engine needs to put a bit of gas to keep itself from stalling and over 700rpm.

also the gas u use on empty revs when u blip ur throttle to rev match and get back into gear when ur done coasting on neutral
false. keeping car in gear (albeit beneficial) will consume more gas. Like you said yourself, when engine and transmission (plus wheels) are connected, it keeps engine rev UP as you said. Engine rev UP = more gas consumption vs car in neutral (aka idle) w/ wheels spinning freely.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

well either way if it saves gas or not
and im sure if you do it wont be a huge saving like 10 bucks per tank

either way your supposed to be in gear unless ur almost @ a complete stop or at a complete stop. for safety reasons.

Last edited by absolute; Sep 1, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
something like a horse running across the road? does that qualify as something unpredicted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrCHLqit2K8&feature=fvw
Originally Posted by rontam90
ROFLMAO HAHAAH

nice post soul
Originally Posted by homieG
Rotfl!
No animal lovers in here I guess? That **** aint funny, would you like to hit an animal and have it's blood splatter all over your windshield?

Quick Reply: engine over-revving