Notices

TPMS Sensors For Winter Rims

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPMS Sensors For Winter Rims

I need a set of TPMS sensors for my winter rims... do you guys know of any places to get them at a reasonable price?

Also... is anybody familiar with the brand of rims Brampton Mitsubishi uses for their winter tire packages? I think my winter tire set were purchased from Brampton Mitsubishi. Do those wheels support TPMS sensors?

I find the TPMS system to be a useful tool... so I'd like to have them during winter too.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Bump... anybody know where I can pick up TPMS sensors at a good price?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

As of right now the only development is as follows, with my research:

Our cars can only learn one set of sensors (4) total. It cannot learn two sets (8).

-Tire Rack or Discount Tire offers rebuild kits that reuse your old sensors then re calibrates, a bit sketchy at this point with they way it works; sometimes doesn't at all. I think this applies to US as well since you need to go into a dealer that has the tool obviously.
-Dealer can sell oem sensors and re calibrates OR just re calibrate new ones (blanks bought online)
-Apparently Costco carries the device now that can re calibrate new or used sensors and supposedly Mitsu Lancer compatible.

There "we're" developments on a few companies developing personal calibration tools that were Mitsu Lancer compatible but apparently it went down hill.

The only DIY hope as of right now is a company is in the finishing stages of R&D they say is compatible with our cars but will be releasing it sometime late November after the SEMA show...

I think Im going to go with purchasing new ones online then going into costco and see if they can re calibrate the new ones for less then the price at the dealer. The dealer will charge an hours rate thats for sure. $90+

Last edited by deanob; Oct 25, 2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this may have been answered many times but while we're on this topic, can someone tell what if we disable the TPMS in our Evo for winter setup (given that we have new rims and tires).

Cons?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:50 AM

I want to disable too! My winter set don't have the TPMS, the beeping on the dash is very annoying!

Last edited by m3bmw99; Oct 25, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Im not sure if u can... maybe with Cobb...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

BTW you cannot reuse old one as the vavle stem is designed to get damaged upon removal. The dealer has to sell rebuild kits in order to re apply used sensors.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

your stock enkei's are great for winter tires! the have tpms and you don't have to recalibrate them at all. Cons, you will not have tpms for summer. Which I could serious care-less, since we have sticky tires, when it bites a nail you can hear it up the windows up!! I don't need tpms to tell me that, also I do the pressing tire test when ever I get home or filling gas to see if any tires feel funny.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't the CEL/warning drive u nuts bro? it would for me...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deanob
Doesn't the CEL/warning drive u nuts bro? it would for me...
press hold the magic button for 3 seconds and it goes away, but the catch is you'll have to do it everytime you start the car. The light is always on when the tpms are missing but you'll get used to it.

Wait till you get the ((!)) light dean, it'll scare you shytless LOL
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by initialdrew
press hold the magic button for 3 seconds and it goes away, but the catch is you'll have to do it everytime you start the car. The light is always on when the tpms are missing but you'll get used to it.

Wait till you get the ((!)) light dean, it'll scare you shytless LOL
ya, i got used to it already.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by deanob
BTW you cannot reuse old one as the vavle stem is designed to get damaged upon removal. The dealer has to sell rebuild kits in order to re apply used sensors.
as of now my TPMS is on the stock rims and tires....if i just change the tires on the stock rims my tpms will be damaged....if this is true then i might not change and drive all season in winter..
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:08 PM

I also have no TPMS in my summer rims and tires. So that damn little light goes off and you have to hold the "magic button" for 3 seconds. I've looked and found no fixes....went to dealership to see how much and it was something ridiculous like $130 a rim or something and I say F THAT r u serious!

So I said screw that I check my own pressure anyways so is there a way I can just disable it? They said no it's all part of the computer thing. So then I asked can you secretly show me the wire and one day I might accidently have a sharp rock or something get in there and tragically slice it? they said no and I left unsatisfied.

You adjust and live with it. Eventually it becomes second nature and easy to do just like the AUX thing lmao. Too bad soo sad. Don't mod your car then lol.

sorry on a side note but the same idea I find that damn stupid "warning icey roads" warning freaking annoying too lol. Whenever it's bellow 3 it goes off I usually yell at it until you get the option to press the magic button haha.

All in all I love my car and I think we all do....otherwise go drive something else
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clint1291
I also have no TPMS in my summer rims and tires. So that damn little light goes off and you have to hold the "magic button" for 3 seconds. I've looked and found no fixes....went to dealership to see how much and it was something ridiculous like $130 a rim or something and I say F THAT r u serious!

So I said screw that I check my own pressure anyways so is there a way I can just disable it? They said no it's all part of the computer thing. So then I asked can you secretly show me the wire and one day I might accidently have a sharp rock or something get in there and tragically slice it? they said no and I left unsatisfied.

You adjust and live with it. Eventually it becomes second nature and easy to do just like the AUX thing lmao. Too bad soo sad. Don't mod your car then lol.

sorry on a side note but the same idea I find that damn stupid "warning icey roads" warning freaking annoying too lol. Whenever it's bellow 3 it goes off I usually yell at it until you get the option to press the magic button haha.

All in all I love my car and I think we all do....otherwise go drive something else
LOL at least your "icey road" lights comes on in time....mine goes on when i took a long drive home and when the garage door closes it turns on. So much for a late warning, wtff!!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

A fix for some of you with aftermarket rims 24/7 is the pipe bomb trick.

make a pipe bomb, toss the sensors in it. Pressure it. toss it in the trunk. done.

I will most likely go this route.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors For Winter Rims