Notices

Honda halts production of the Civic in JDM market.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda halts production of the Civic in JDM market.

Interesting, and again, another reason why Mitsubishi should have madet he migration to the Colt over here by now. sigh...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0101117a2.html

Honda to halt domestic Civic sales
Kyodo News
Honda Motor Co. will discontinue sales of its Civic compacts in Japan because of falling demand, company officials said.

Out to pasture: Honda Motor Co.'s first Civic model, shown above, debuted in 1972. KYODO PHOTO
Honda will stop producing the current model, the Civic Hybrid, at its plant in Suzuka, Mie Prefecture, in December and will end domestic sales when the stock runs out, the officials said.

Overseas sales will continue as the Civic still accounts for some 20 percent of Honda's global auto sales.

The Civic debuted in 1972 and has since sold some 3 million units, the most in Honda's product lineup. Recently, however, the Fit compact has taken over demand, causing domestic sales of the Civic to fall to around 9,000 units in 2009.

Honda had planned to continue domestic sales of the Civic Hybrid but decided against doing so after October figures showed the Fit Hybrid had experienced a high level of popularity, the officials said.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Wow... surprising news... you almost associate the model name Civic with Honda. It's as if Toyota was to stop making the Corolla and Camry.

But then again interest in cars in Japan is supposed to be falling big time... and if they are into cars... the young people apparently are into 2-box designs like the Honda Element, Scion xB and Nissan Cube.

So I guess if the business model doesn't make sense then they should stop selling it... but I'm just surprised to hear it happen.

No way in hell the Civic would ever die in North America tho.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

As for the Mitsu Colt... I think Mitsu would be much better off bringing a car like that here than that damned electric i-MiEV. I could see people buying the Colt in Canada... it could go up against cars like the Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, etc.

Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor

dude,
Prelude = Assassinated
Integra = Was flipped in to the RSX = Commited suicide
Everything was merged in to the Si to simplify things. Management said, the Si can do it all.

lol if i was a hard core honda guy. I will cling to my classics. Buddy of mine has a nice sexy purple prelude. and it just speaks to me.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The prelude was killed for good reason. It was meant to be a sports car but turned out to be just a slow fwd coupe. Hard for the prelude to compete with the rwd competion not to mention Honda out classed the prelude with the acura integra. Honda will never discontinue the civic over here its there best selling car in north america. In japan the Fit is a natural car to buy seeing as japan is a very tight place to live. If you know what i mean . Not to mention you put a k20 in a fit and the Fit is Go . In north america men will always have a hard time being seen in a Fit because we like our cars like we would like our D*** size and thats as big as possible.

Oh and as for the i-MiEV and the colt those 2 cars are exactly what is missing from mitsubishi's line up. Even though i wouldn't be caught in either of the cars ( unless its the colt ralliart r ) there is still a huge market of tree hugging hippies out there looking to buy these cars. Also they need to bring over the Mitsubishi raider if they want to win over the tree cutting construction workers.

Last edited by Capdevila; Nov 17, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Its just the hybrid no big deal.

the si is all of it into one minus the hatchback. Ive had my type s or 6 years now and I refuse to sell it. 200hp, 600kms a tank with a trunk big enough to move furniture!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Hrm... that article is kinda confusing... but I think the news is that Honda is gonna stop selling the Civic entirely in Japan. They are just gonna sell off the models they already made... and that's it.

This article also gives that impression... http://www.wheelosphere.org/honda-ci...ontinued-9869/
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crester
Hrm... that article is kinda confusing... but I think the news is that Honda is gonna stop selling the Civic entirely in Japan. They are just gonna sell off the models they already made... and that's it.

This article also gives that impression... http://www.wheelosphere.org/honda-ci...ontinued-9869/
Company will sell 8th generation Honda Civic to just clear their inventory. As company is pulling curtain of this model, it will pave ways for arrival of 9th generation Honda Civic which was caught in deserts of middle east.
So the new one will be made. BTW the civic is made in aliston, ontario. Hybrids are probably made in Japan.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Capdevila
The prelude was killed for good reason. It was meant to be a sports car but turned out to be just a slow fwd coupe. Hard for the prelude to compete with the rwd competion not to mention Honda out classed the prelude with the acura integra. Honda will never discontinue the civic over here its there best selling car in north america. In japan the Fit is a natural car to buy seeing as japan is a very tight place to live. If you know what i mean . Not to mention you put a k20 in a fit and the Fit is Go . In north america men will always have a hard time being seen in a Fit because we like our cars like we would like our D*** size and thats as big as possible.

Oh and as for the i-MiEV and the colt those 2 cars are exactly what is missing from mitsubishi's line up. Even though i wouldn't be caught in either of the cars ( unless its the colt ralliart r ) there is still a huge market of tree hugging hippies out there looking to buy these cars. Also they need to bring over the Mitsubishi raider if they want to win over the tree cutting construction workers.
Problem is, the USA economy is getting poorer by the day. the push from the economy will be get smaller cars. Over time of course.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

OMFG. honda is offically hopeless. Axing the civic in japan means the death of the civic type R, and with the ONLY type R in their whole line up it would mean the offical death of the Type-R line. I was hoping I could trade in my X in the future for a civic type R or something (since everyone is stepping their game up, cobalt SS, Kia coupe, genesis coupe etc.) It's logical for them to bring the type R to n.america but now i guess this will be another retarded move from them much like axing the RSX.....
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah... I'm not sure why they killed off the RSX. I mean... I know the reason why they killed it... they wanted to bring the Acura brand upscale... and selling a car for teenagers in the same building didn't do the brand's image good. But they could have just continued selling it as a Honda! It was still sold as a Honda Integra other parts of the world.

Last edited by Crester; Nov 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crester
Yeah... I'm not sure why they killed off the RSX. I mean... I know the reason why they killed it... they wanted to bring the Acura brand upscale... and selling a car for teenagers in the same building didn't do the brand's image good. But they could have just continued selling it as a Honda! It was still sold as a Honda Integra other parts of the world.
I had good hopes for the RSX while it lasted....and they just axed the damn thing in the mids of it's prime time. Just look at how many RSXs were on the street back then, now it's all swapped by civics...and they are axing that too...i mean WTF
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:19 PM

They do still make the civic type r in europe. From my understanding they are only stopping production in japan of the 8th gen civic to build more fits. When the 9th gen comes out I'm sure it will sell again in japan. There is nope point for them to manufacture 8th gens if they are selling less then they are making. Also you will never get the civic type r here just like I will never get my r32 golf. Especially since they want to change the law for importing vehicles from 15 years to 25 years old because a 15 year old vehicle is no longer considered antique. Seeing as cars are made much better now and last alot longer then 15 years
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

They probably have fields and fields of the 8th gen is why. Sell as much as you can, make room for fits then start production on 9th gen which seems to be a lot closer then it looks. I bet they'll be sold mid 2011 as the new 2012 Honda Civic.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've never liked Honda at all... It took a car like the EVO to bring me out of an American V8, and only barely then. I would only take an Evo or STI otherwise give me back the V8. Without RWD or AWD I pretty much write off the Honda vehicles as non serious. I'd take a cheaper Miata over the S2000 since both already lack the damn turbo. For the coin the NSX isn't a deal when anything new is faster for less.

All Honda needed was their own Evo in my opinion. They have good motors, they are just a bit too small to be lacking a turbo. Their audience is quickly wanting more than a FWD non turbo 4cyl in the performance car segment.

It's just a shame because a turbo K series 2.0 with true AWD would be sick. Charge 35K and build the motor so it can hit 450awhp on the stock block and say goodbye competition.

Quick Reply: Honda halts production of the Civic in JDM market.