Notices

Sailun Z4+AS Tire Feedback

Old May 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sailun Z4+AS Tire Feedback

It was about 3 months ago when I sat down with Sailun to see what they are all about. Whats the substance behind their product and what their corporate goals are. I quickly got the message that they mean business. They have taken aim at their industry peers and have the mission to bring forward a quality product for affordable prices. Sure, Sounds funny, something that you would expect to hear from any tire company under the sun. But I have been fortunate enough to see how driven Sailun is, looking behind closed doors to see what they are willing to do to improve their product. Even as we speak Sailun isnt standing still. They have great ambitions and are making efforts to R&D even better compounds and tread design and refinement. Time will tell how this venture will go for them.

What I can report on today is the fact that todays Z4+AS tire from Sailun is very much so Mitsubishi Lancer, Ralliart, and EVO X worthy. I have spent a fair bit of time testing this tire myself and I have honestly had my expectations exceeded two times over. The tire seems to provide a comfortable ride and meaningful performance when you start to throw it around with aggressive street driving.

To drive this point home, Sailun invited me to test their tires in a heads up test again some pretty serious tire brands. Now you would think they would pick some mid range or weak tires from those brands to go up against. But your dead wrong, Sailun wanted to beat its chest and have at it vs. some of the best competing tires.

Now me being there would be great, but I decided to step back and have two of my most critical EVO X friends visit the testing rounds to test these tires. While I expected the tires to do well on the track, I was unprepared to hear what tires the Sailun's went up against, and then the fact that they beat and held their own vs. the competing tires.

Now one of these friends, Widow, shows no mercy to what ever car he drives. If he had a whip he would roll down the window and give the rear end of the car a lash or two. His overkill driving method even caused a group passenger throw up. Crester snapped a shot of brakes and tires literally smoking when the keys were turned off. "I think we should give this car a rest before we give it another go".

I don't put words in their mouths, but the fact that you can get two nods of respect for Sailun. I think it's safe to say they have earned the right to play in this market space.

I will comment further on this after we get some pictures and comments posted.

Last edited by evo_soul; May 13, 2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

I will try to elaborate more when I get the time... but yes... I was actually impressed by the Sailun tires. I honestly had really low expectations of the Sailun tires initially considering how other Chinese tires we have in Canada performed. But the Sailuns did well in comparison to the other major brands that were at the test.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sailuns are good rubbers although softer with a higher wear they grip nicely and perform even better in the wet. They are very good for the price. However One issue I feel that Sailun may want to investigate is adding some hard compound to keep the tires feeling more solid than soft *track use and coming from someone who used Toyo proxies 4 before*. However as a daily driver tires these are great and should be thought about when purchasing new rubbers. In addition talking to some tires distributors due to the situation in japan the inventory for Japanese tires: ie. toyo, yoko, and many others are backed up, limited, and are increased in cost.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:28 AM

I actually just mounted these tires on yesterday and HOLY CRAP they feel amazing. I honestly didn't expect the ride to be so smooth, virtually road noise free, extremely comfortable and can handle some seriously aggressive driving. I know lots of people will think I'm nuts for saying this, but honestly, I think it's better than the stock yokos
Old May 13, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T-Pain
I know lots of people will think I'm nuts for saying this, but honestly, I think it's better than the stock yokos
Ok... lets not go too far now... lol
Old May 13, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

I've been meaning to take some pictures and give a review on these tires etc; but the weather has not been great.

These tires are great for the price. I have no complaints.
They are great for daily driving and perform great all around wet or dry.

Pretty much like what everyone has said
Old May 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

I think that's a good description for these tires...they are good daily driver tires for people on a budget. I think the performance is really great considering they cost like half as much as other tires.

But that being said... I don't want the people who drive their cars really hard to think these are better than Michelin Pilots, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Bridgestone RE-11's, etc...lol

But for Lancer drivers these should be great.
Old May 13, 2011, 07:25 AM

put these on acouple of days ago. No complaints! better than what i expected and alot better than what i came from...the stock Dunlops!

gotta see how it is in the rain though...
Old May 13, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

See how this goes from the iPhone here

But as stated a few weeks back myself and Sean aka Crester were invited to Cayuga for the sailun tire testing day. It was pitted vs the bridestone potenza and conti dws. It out performed these two other tires by a substantial amount.

I beat on any car I drive and that day was perfect for testing we had some dry track and end of day we were running laps in the rain. For a daily driver type tire (and don't forget we used much smaller width n height then I'd normally use) it was still quite the tire dry or wet. It squealed the least of them all, heated up less and handled corners and braking much safer then the other two name brands.

Anyways we beat these cars so hard I made a passenger leave the car for the rest of the day never to return. Sean will have to lost up te brake smoking picture to see how hard we really beat on em.

I'm still waiting for my summers Sean cough
Old May 13, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

OMG....why wasn't I informed about the long term testing of the tires....

evo_soul is there any chance I can participate?
Old May 13, 2011, 02:35 PM

i got these tires to they drive really good. there way better then i expected them to be
Old May 13, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

LAME....did not get chosen for testing
Old May 13, 2011, 09:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Long term testing hasn't started yet. Crester and widow went in my place to a dealeer day. They represented the car club for me.

Long term testing is in the hands of sailun to define the program. Will know in a few weeks.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Long term testing hasn't started yet. Crester and widow went in my place to a dealeer day. They represented the car club for me.

Long term testing is in the hands of sailun to define the program. Will know in a few weeks.
can i participate?
Old May 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by initialdrew
can i participate?
sure, but it holds no promises , I am not administrating over the program. its Sailun, but I will keep you in mind. The testing will likely be for the summer rubber. the All season has already proven itself to be worthy over and over and over again. The summer tires will be the first time in canada

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sailun Z4+AS Tire Feedback