Notices

Spark Tech Ignitions INFO HOTLINE!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Tech Ignitions INFO HOTLINE!

Welcome to the Spark Tech Ignition Information hotline!

Here you can learn the many intricacies and facts about our systems. We've found that evoM members are very educated and can make up their own mind in choosing what system best suits their needs. If you have any questions feel free to contact us.

Like millions of other products, and how they are developed, we saw there was a need for a coil on plug system that was better engineered giving better performance and *gasp* looked nicer! We have tested ALL our systems and are continuously looking at ways to improve them.

Let's start off with our harnesses.

ALL our systems, Non CDI, basic & Pro utilize tefzel military spec wire (rated 302F/150C & 600V) and black heat sleeving (rated 200C/392F & 2500V). We utilize twisted pair wiring for a couple reasons. One because it was recommended by M&W as it offers a reduction in the radio frequency interference (RFI) & electronic magnetic interference (EMI). It also keeps the wires neatly organized in the heat sleeve. These two components are actually found in many military and commercial aircrafts worldwide. In the aviation industry, weight is obviously a factor and thus this wire is lighter and the coating is thinner than automotive grade wire.

The connectors that plug into the coil, are purchased without any pigtails. This allows us to crimp our own terminals to the end of the coil leads. By doing so it avoids adding two connections, per coil, to the harness, allowing us to have zero connections WITHIN the harness. Our only connections are AT the coil connectors, the trigger plugs and the CDi connectors. Not to mention as quoted in M&W instructions, in the Wire & Power Supply Section, "All coil negative wires must be joined in the connector and not in the harness". In a recent examination of another brand cop's harness we found nine soldered connections within the harness with heat shrink protecting the joint.
No connection within the harness means no possibilities of those connections failing.

Now onto the CDI component...

We are one of the many M&W dealers around the world. We have constant direct communications with them. We are proud to offer this quality CDI and feel the manufacturer of said CDI knows best how it should be wired. There are some proprietary elements to our wiring process, however there are some factors that we would like to share in order to answer some questions asked by our customers.

Here's the M&W wiring diagram for 4 Coil Wasted Spark Ignition.

Pin #7 & #8 are the pins connecting to the Ground which goes to the negative of the Battery. These two wires connect to a single 14gauge wire going to the battery. There is no additional wire that needs to be connected by the customer. Referring to the diagram, there is a notation using "**" that refers to the note below about using shielded cable for Australian EMC compliance. That's all the note says. It does not speak of ground to pin #8 being optional.

Two ground wires are used because the terminal pins on the CDI are very small and having two allows for proper grounding. In our conversations with M&W, utilizing a single ground can cause the connector and the CDI to run at a higher temperature. Shorting it's life. Perhaps using a fuse higher than 15A as recommended may negate the effects of having just one ground wire? I think that it would be easier and safer to continue to use the two grounds and 15A fuse as recommended. We are preparing to do some testing as this issue has been questioned. Focusing on spark quality and integrity utilizing the one ground and the 15A fuse and see what occurs. Will report once testing is completed.

Spark Tech System Options

We offer many different options for Ignition. We have done this to facilitate various needs of our customers.

EVO 1-3
There is the Basic setup that wires into your factory harness. A CDI option is also available (2 or 4 channel). The plate is standard wrinkle black powder coated.

EVO 4-9 has a few options:

Spark Tech Non CDI System
  • stock ecu
  • up to 600HP
  • not upgradable to CDI Systems
Spark Tech Basic CDI 12 System
  • standard mounting plate that fits under OEM cover
  • stock/aftermarket ecu
  • 2channel
  • tested over 1000HP
Spark Tech Pro CDI 12 System
  • billet light weight wrinkle black/polished aluminum mounting plate,
  • stock/aftermarket ecu,
  • 2channel
  • tested over 1000HP
Spark Tech Pro CDI 14B System
  • billet light weight wrinkle black/polished aluminum mounting plate
  • aftermarket ecu
  • 4 channel with 2 Trigger or 4 channel 4 Trigger.
  • tested over 1000HP
Spark Tech Pro CDI 14 System
  • billet light weight wrinkle black/polished aluminum mounting plate
  • aftermarket ecu
  • 4 channel with 4 Trigger.
  • tested over 1000HP

The EVO X system is coming SOON

All systems utilize Stainless Steel 304Grade Mounting Hardware.

Here's a few pics of some of the systems offered:

We'd like to thank you for reading and learning more about Spark Tech Ignition Systems. This thread is designed to explain some of our reasoning behind our designs. We would appreciate constructive comments as we think we have done our part in trying to put forth an INFORMATIVE post versus a bashing post. We would ask that you do the same. The mods will be aware of any inappropriate comments.

We strive in creating a product that is of a high standard from the smallest of
components to the largest. We take great pride & love in designing products that portray the same pride held by our customers towards their cars. Please visit our website and feel free to contact us with any further questions.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank our customers for their continued support and hope that the season brings joy & prosperity for the year ahead.

Last edited by SparkTech; Jun 24, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Craig-

May I post this on CEvoC?

-E
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any update on using the non-CDI COP with hks dli or sun auto unit
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Craig-

May I post this on CEvoC?

-E
Already working on it..Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SparkTech
Already working on it..Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Cool post. What's your background ? What platforms did you start developing ignitions for and what made you decide on M&W boxes ?

Your system has a very nice look to it.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zbomb
Cool post. What's your background ? What platforms did you start developing ignitions for and what made you decide on M&W boxes ?

Your system has a very nice look to it.

Thanks for the compliment!

Been in the performance industry for about 20years. Owned and operated my own shop with a Dyno jet 1200HP Dyno. Got into DSMs in the mid 90s with a Plymouth Laser Turbo and never looked back since. I've own all models of DSMs. The transition to the EVO platform was inevitable .

In the late 90s I assisted CraneCams with the development and wiring of the CraneDI2 CDI system and then went on to be sponsored by them racing. It worked then, but in my opinion needed more development and looked to other options. M&W's reliability and quality in my opinion surpasses anything else currently on the market. I've been familiar with M&W since about 2000 and I'd have to say watching the CDIs perform here in the 24Hour Race here in Daytona was a testament to their accomplishments. I've also used Autronic's 500R CDI unit and been happy with the results. I still have more testing to complete to sway from the M&W just yet.

I think that over the years the ignition industry has lacked in providing options suitable for boosted applications that are reliable. Ignition is such an important factor in making reliable and consistent HP.

We're actually developing other ignition systems for other platforms, including the S2000. So it's not just the EVO X COP system coming in 2009!...
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AF-Evo8
any update on using the non-CDI COP with hks dli or sun auto unit
We honestly have not pushed that combination as our system proved to outperform the DLI in back to back independent testing. We will explore the possibility, but not till next year.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SparkTech
Thanks for the compliment!

Been in the performance industry for about 20years. Owned and operated my own shop with a Dyno jet 1200HP Dyno. Got into DSMs in the mid 90s with a Plymouth Laser Turbo and never looked back since. I've own all models of DSMs. The transition to the EVO platform was inevitable .

In the late 90s I assisted CraneCams with the development and wiring of the CraneDI2 CDI system and then went on to be sponsored by them racing. It worked then, but in my opinion needed more development and looked to other options. M&W's reliability and quality in my opinion surpasses anything else currently on the market. I've been familiar with M&W since about 2000 and I'd have to say watching the CDIs perform here in the 24Hour Race here in Daytona was a testament to their accomplishments. I've also used Autronic's 500R CDI unit and been happy with the results. I still have more testing to complete to sway from the M&W just yet.

I think that over the years the ignition industry has lacked in providing options suitable for boosted applications that are reliable. Ignition is such an important factor in making reliable and consistent HP.

We're actually developing other ignition systems for other platforms, including the S2000. So it's not just the EVO X COP system coming in 2009!...
Thanks for the reply. I'm always looking backwards and front.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Additionally..

We offer etching, (FREE):

Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

very nice stuff spark tech. Great idea with the engraving, please post up some dyno sheets with the improvement shown over stock, I am very interested in your product.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:57 PM
Former Sponsor

^^Thanks for your interest. We'll get some dyno slips up for you.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I like the tech threads that have been coming out recently. Nice explanation Craig
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is a video from a couple months ago. This is initial dyno testing of the 1st cop/cdi system on the market for the Evo X http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP9_r0QeZwE

Since this video this car went on to set the record for stock appearing turbo 10.79@125
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is the initial dyno testing of the Evo X system

Quick Reply: Spark Tech Ignitions INFO HOTLINE!