Notices

Buschur Racing-newly motivated-new platform

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing-newly motivated-new platform

Hey everybody.

Just wanted to put a post up here and get the word out, even though this is an EVO forum. This is probably going to be longer than it needs to be but I have a lot to say.

So, I've been doing this car thing for 24 years now. The 4G63 is one of the greatest engines ever built or designed as far as I'm concerned. It's been a fantastic thing for me and has been my passion since the first DSM I bought in 1989 and started modifying. That engine was always put in cars that were light, fast and great values. They were put in cars that were offered with minimal "luxury" items and that's how I really like my car. Like my 2nd DSM with manual windows, manual locks, no cruise control or A/C. My EVO RS is the same mind set. My passion for those cars still runs deep and I can not wait to finally get this clutchless 4 speed we have been working on for the EVO8-9 into production, it's been a year and half of hard work and develop and it keeps getting closer and closer. I have ZERO intentions of ever selling my RS and I've actually owned it now longer than any other car I've owned in my life. We have continued to offer new products for the EVO8-9 and as long as my brain comes up with new ideas we will continue to do so.

The EVOX has been very good for us but for me didn't have that "raw" feel of the EVO8-9 and the old DSM's. We made 525 whp with our on pump gas and our T3 header/turbo kit we produce here in house. The car was a blast but the following for the big turbo's and bigger numbers just weren't there. The crowd seemed to like a great Staged upgrade package and a milder upgrade path. It's been a great platform, we build quite a few engines, busy with head work, our Staged upgrades sell steady but that high-horsepower-drag racing passion just isn't there. The proof of that is the low turn out of those cars at the DSM/EVO Shootout each year. So, we continue to offer all of our services, installs, tuning and our full parts line but I sold the car to move onto something else.

I've put my hands on some Subaru's over the years and found them to be fragile and unable to withstand the abuse the Mitsubishi's could. The closed mind of some, unwilling to accept new better ideas turned me off and I went through a 2002 WRX and later a 2006 WRX TR. I eventually decided to just drop the platform.

I then thought we'd try some new Mustang 5.0 stuff, same thing. A few closed minded people turned me off, that community thinks a 500 whp V8 needs 70 pounds of exhaust hanging under the car and dual exhausts........can't teach them, once again, disgusted I sold that platform.

Last year I decided on Ford again. I bought a new GT500, fantastic car overall, 11.6's stock at nearly 127 mph, I was once again motivated......then after about 130 miles the POS trans would not engage 2nd gear. After going back and forth with Ford on it, then Tremec I could see the only thing that was going to happen was I was going to have to personally fix the car and with a $60,000 price tag and a junk trans/clutch it flat out pissed me off and I sold it too.

I also picked up the Focus ST last year. This is a great little car. Instant power, great handling, reasonable price. The modifications have worked well on it and we have been doing really good with sales of parts for the car. I still have it and it's still being developed.

So......this is just a super brief piece I need to throw in. I barely got through high school, no college, opened my first business in my parents garage at about 16 doing small engine repair, I went to school for that at a Vocational School in the evenings, after I went to high school and worked at a hardware store. I then joined the Army where I was an MP/MPI and SRT for 3 years. After that Steel Mill laborer/crane operator for 9.5 years, during that time I opened and ran a gym for 2 years, after work and on the weekends. That took me into the DSM which I also worked 3-11 shift at the mill and then ran Buschur Racing during the day and weekends. I've never been "highly intelligent-book smart". What I have been is motivated, extremely hard working and willing to put in whatever hours I needed to for accomplishing my goal. Well the last few years I've lacked motivation, I haven't had a real fire. I love tuning and my tuning/computer knowledge has continued to evolve because I like it. Still you can only tune so many of the same cars and feel like you are really happy doing it. I've thought of other things to do, maybe selling the shop, moving somewhere else but nothing really grabs my attention......................until now!

I was very attracted to the Nissan GTR when it came out. I drove to Detroit to get the first look at it at the auto show. Beautiful car but a large price tag. I wasn't too sure how many people would jump on it. I thought hard about it, we were extremely busy at the shop with EVO's at the time and wasn't sure......

I then watched as someone else struggled with the platform, was constantly told how hard it was, how I wouldn't be able to grasp it, etc., etc. After you've told yourself long enough you aren't the brightest guy you start to believe it and I told myself, "Well, if it's that hard to figure them out I'll skip it......."

The last few months I've felt a new motivation for tuning and I've had more and more people contacting me to work on GTR's. I decided that I was ready to pull the trigger. A friend of mine, Tim Bailey, I found out just happens to be the head engineer for Cobb Tuning's GTR development. What a coincidence! After a few e-mails it was decided I'd arrange to get a GTR here and he would come in for training.

Another long time friend of mine Quinn recently bought a 2014 GTR and he decided to visit us from Idaho. The puzzle was coming together, nicely.

Last week Quinn and Tim showed up and the part started. Daniel, my brother was also motivated and did a fantastic job of installing the Y pipe, catback, ID1000 cc injectors, new upgraded twin pumps, 3" MAF tubes and air filters onto Quinn's car. We installed the Cobb Access Port and strapped the car to the dyno.

My education was about to begin. Tim is a genius, great teacher and guided me through the short cuts, how the ECU works, tuning strategies etc. It may have been very difficult at one time, hell maybe it still is and I under estimate myself, but I picked it up very quickly and our progress was outstanding.

We tuned the car on 91 octane first, then swapped to E85. The small stock turbos mean you can' t make a ton of boost up top, peak boost was only barely 19 psi and it falls off to 15.x by redline. The gains were impressive though!

Stock the car made 451 whp and 409 ft lbs of torque. We made multiple pulls and the car was very consistent at putting down those same numbers.

At the end of the tuning we made 533 whp and 540 ft lbs of torque. All these runs were done in 4th gear on our STANDARD MUSTANG DYNO settings. This was a gain of 83 whp and 131 ft lbs of torque!!

We also ran the dyno on our Dynojet settings for comparison against other GTR's that have been on our dyno and the car put down 631 whp at 601 ft lbs, dyno'ing the car in 5th gear.

Drive-ability is excellent, idle, cruise, WOT all flawless as it should be.

Quinn, Tim and myself headed to Norwalk Raceway Wednesday night to run the car. I have never driven a GTR so thought it best that Tim jumped in. Quinn is a large man at nearly 6'6" and 370'ish pounds, he wanted a lighter driver. Tim's first pass was a 10.54 at 132.79 mph. He also rolled across the scales on his way back down the return road and the car weighed in at 4050 pounds with him in it! Holy crap they need some lightweight parts built! The track was extremely crowded, we made one more run but MY MISTAKE of not having the BOV vacuum line on after the dyno hurt us and the car only ran a high 10.

Quinn decided to extend his trip in Ohio and we hit the track, this time the much less congested Dragway 42. To make a long story short (yeah, too late at this point! haha) the car ran 4 or 5 passes of 136.xx mph and I finally made a pass in the car running the best time of the night, 10.52 at 136.91 mph!

This puts the car at probably the highest MPH of any GTR at full weight, stock run flats and through the stock cats/downpipes. I'd say that is a pretty stellar first attempt at modifying a GTR!

The week I spent with Quinn, Tim Bailey and this GTR has lit a fire inside me like I haven't had in many-many years..........and it feels good, real good. The friendship, the work we did, the results we got were all just fantastic. I can't thank Quinn enough for the opportunity and the chance to use his car and Tim for the education and training on the Cobb Pro Tuning tools.

Thursday and Friday were spent tuning the Ford Focus ST we have and we were finally able to make some nice power gains, turn off check engine lights and a plethora of other things on that platform!

To end this, we are no Cobb authorized dealers and Cobb Pro Tuners. We will be offering tuning for the GTR's, Subaru's, Ford Focus ST and EVOX.

We also have a few other GTR's scheduled already and will be releasing products in our normal fashion--> MADE IN THE USA, LIGHTWEIGHT and POWER PRODUCING!

Spread the word for us.

Also, check out our Facebook page as there are a lot of updates, pictures, dyno graphs and video's of the GTR work from this last week.

Thank you all for your continue support.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's really cool to know a little more about your background and how you got started working on 4g63s

You have to change with the times. I see a few shops starting to get involved with the GTR platform so its a smart move for you guys. Just please don't stop working on evos.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sincerely wish for the best sir!

Mitsu isn't coming out with anything exciting anytime soon
Old May 5, 2013, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck with the GTR quest! It's a smart/awesome extension to the business since Mitsu isn't coming out with anything else as stated above...
Old May 5, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome
Old May 6, 2013, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the support, yeah if we don't make changes here we will be dead in the water in a few years and I'm not ready to retire!
Old May 6, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
great read and best of luck with the new platform! it will be exciting to see BR develop parts for the GTR!
Old May 6, 2013, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i see a BR GTR in the future
Old May 7, 2013, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

good luck with business. Although I haven't had that much of experience with your parts, your story and your achievements in the EVO world have been amazing. Keep up the good work. I just got an EVO 9 and this time I'll be running your parts so I hope they don't disappoint me. ... good luck on the new quest. life is about changes and innovation so from time to time a change is great to add that spice to things...
Old May 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dave I thought you went to an autocross one day and thought the GTR was an overweight pig that over heats. Im glad your moving to new platforms hopefully you can fix those issues lol.
Old May 14, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

I never went to an autocross with a GTR or saw one overheat, not sure what you are smoking! Haha

I did lose my mind today and I ordered a brand new White GTR!
Old May 14, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
sweet! cant wait to see what you guys do with it.
Old May 14, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
It was just a matter of time

Good to see a new sense of motivation and direction from the BR camp. I wish you all the best DB! Don't ever stop making Evo 8/9 parts though
Old May 14, 2013, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
I never went to an autocross with a GTR or saw one overheat, not sure what you are smoking! Haha

smh, the RS's new buddy? im jealous.. cant wait to see what you come up with
Old May 14, 2013, 08:34 PM

Congrats on the GTR! I daily drove my old Evo 8 for over 80K miles on a lot of buschur parts, never had any issues. Thanks for the better that stock reliability!

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing-newly motivated-new platform