Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

DEVO Tuning driveshaft.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
DEVO Tuning driveshaft.

Hello everyone.

Today my DEVO Driveshaft came in. I mentioned that when I got it I would do a complete write up on the part.

Well I am going to start that now and come back to edit it later. For now I just want to get the initial post out there and give some thoughts on what I have done so far.

I am leaving for a few days and as soon as I get back we have an Import Race here at D42. Things have been a bit of a rush and today was horrible to get the car ready for Sunday, since I am going to be gone.

Anyway. I pulled the RS in and was going to wash it and change the tires/wheels. When I got it inside I realized I had never installed our Mustache Bar on the car. For those of you that are wondering, from the time I put the car on the lift it took me 1 hour to have it completely installed. I did use the lift and I did use some air tools. I had never done one before so it wasn't too bad.

Then I decided as long as I was trying to drop some weight on the car I should put the new driveshaft on.

Installation was 100% straight forward, super simple. The fitment was absolutely perfect. Install took all of 15 minutes, the car was already up in the air on the lift.

We took pictures of the driveshaft off the car and on the car.

How the process works is you send in your driveshaft to DEVO Tuning and they send you back a 2 piece driveshaft. The factory part is 3 pieces and has two carrier bearings.

The DEVO part is 11 pounds lighter according to our UPS scale than the stock shaft. The DEVO part turns the factory two piece rear shaft into a single one piece shaft. The reason you have to send them the front and rear sections of your driveshafts is they rebalance the entire assembly as one piece to keep vibrations out of it.

I'll be honest with you all, after installing this I don't know why Mitsubishi didn't build it like this in the first place. It eliminates one carrier bearing, two u-joints, two yokes, makes the shaft straight like it should be in the first place and if the factory did it they could have eliminated the mounting point that you are left with under the car after changing to this super nice two piece shaft.

The new shaft is made of chrome moly tubing. The alignment from the transfer case to the rear end is now right on the money.

Just to make sure all was well Trent took the car down the road for a quick test. He came and reported there were no noises, no vibrations, basically no change from the stock shaft as far as feel goes.

Jarrod is also leaving for a few days and I will have him post some pictures as soon as he gets back.

We will be running the car Sunday. When I get back I will put the car back on the dyno and see if there were any changes.

I wanted to dyno this back to back but I was so overwhelmed trying to get all I had to do done for this race I did not have time.

Thanks to DEVO Tuning for a kick *** light driveshaft, excellent service and a great price on it. BTW, these are $550.

I sent my driveshaft from my car in after I removed it so I can get another one built!!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now that is what I am talking about, dammmitt more crap to buy. thanks david for the review
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
niceeeee how long does it usually take to get back??
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just realized that you could probably get this made at any reputable rear end/driveshaft shop. Just take them yours, have them replace the one carrier bearing, and replace the shafts with chromemoly pieces.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

nice write up DB!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so the 11lbs rotational mass savings did not make a ''feel'' difference at all??
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am expecting gains like you did on the Ford... see I listen
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nightwalker
I just realized that you could probably get this made at any reputable rear end/driveshaft shop. Just take them yours, have them replace the one carrier bearing, and replace the shafts with chromemoly pieces.
Or..... you could support your Evo parts vendors that support you and offer everyone new parts, R&D, results, reviews, testing, service, etc.....

Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

evodan, last time Trent drove the car was at the racetrack 3 weeks ago. We had about 40 psi then and today the boost was only at 33-34. No, he could not feel a difference. When I tested brake rotors that were lighter the car gained around 5 whp if I remember correctly. This is 11 pounds lighter, some of that is from the carrier bearing. It is also rotating weight but I think will have a larger effect on WHP than the rotors because of removing the extra u-joint and change in direction of the shaft. I can tell you from past experience changing a long driveshaft on a F650 we built to a shorter shaft had a huge effect on HP, extreme case of long and shorter though.

nightwalker, what you suggested is always the case. Then you have to look at what you are saving and what the effects of your actions are. Here you have a company, DEVO Tuning, who took the time to have this made, offers it at a very low cost compared to anything else out there and supports this community. Yes, you can have it built but who is going to help you in the future with your EVO or other new products, "Billy Bob's driveshaft shop" or DEVO Tuning? I could have had this built after seeing it, but I respected DEVO and got it from them.

Support the good EVO shops, if you don't they won't be able to survive, especially in this economy. If that happens you will be buying all your parts from "Sum-ting-wong EVO Parts" on Ebay."
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
evodan, last time Trent drove the car was at the racetrack 3 weeks ago. We had about 40 psi then and today the boost was only at 33-34. No, he could not feel a difference. When I tested brake rotors that were lighter the car gained around 5 whp if I remember correctly. This is 11 pounds lighter, some of that is from the carrier bearing. It is also rotating weight but I think will have a larger effect on WHP than the rotors because of removing the extra u-joint and change in direction of the shaft. I can tell you from past experience changing a long driveshaft on a F650 we built to a shorter shaft had a huge effect on HP, extreme case of long and shorter though.

nightwalker, what you suggested is always the case. Then you have to look at what you are saving and what the effects of your actions are. Here you have a company, DEVO Tuning, who took the time to have this made, offers it at a very low cost compared to anything else out there and supports this community. Yes, you can have it built but who is going to help you in the future with your EVO or other new products, "Billy Bob's driveshaft shop" or DEVO Tuning? I could have had this built after seeing it, but I respected DEVO and got it from them.

Support the good EVO shops, if you don't they won't be able to survive, especially in this economy. If that happens you will be buying all your parts from "Sum-ting-wong EVO Parts" on Ebay."
neato. thanks for the info. i cant wait for mine to arrive.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Also, it took about a week to get it.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
so the 11lbs rotational mass savings did not make a ''feel'' difference at all??
Why would it? That's like putting some milk and a few two liters in the trunk, unless your one of those people that believes the ratio is 10:1 unsprung/sprung. Ratio is close to 2:1.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I believe this is the Devo driveshaft (straight form Devo's website).

http://devotuning.com/store/images/IMGP0012.JPG

Warning the picture is very large.

I'm also thinking that in a car making as much power as David's RS the incremental increase in WHP will feel less noticable than say a lesser modified Evo.

Can't wait to see installed pics!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Im sorry guys I forgot the cable for my camera at home. I will have the pics uploaded first thing Monday morning when I get back from my trip. Again my apologies...

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Jun 26, 2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely on the to do list. Thanks for the reveiw as always.

Quick Reply: DEVO Tuning driveshaft.