Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Tilton twin carbon clutch + Buschur Racing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tilton twin carbon clutch + Buschur Racing

a little history first... when I went to the evogreen I installed an Exedy twin HD clutch and loved it, it never once slipped after hundred's of hard launches and daily driving even after upgrading to a Buschur HTA 35R and pushed ~ 500awhp on pump gas. It was coming up on a year old and finally began to require adjustment or it would drag and not allow clean shifts. Eventually it got to the point where I was completely out of pedal adjustment and I had to do something before it started grinding gears. Knowing that I was going to do a built shorty/head/bigger cams from Buschur + 40psi on race gas I decided to step it up and boy did I

I went with the Tilton Twin Carbon from Buschur Racing and just finished the install today.

Nick, Jarrod and David were fantastic as always...great service all around, good price, quick shipment and nice packaging job...not a single problem.

I was blown away at how light the Tilton is compared to the Exedy...here's some pics from Buschur's website and as you can see the Exedy is as big as the flywheel but check out the Tilton

Advantages would be less spinning weight, it should translate to quicker acceleration. It does stall from time to time but I've only driven about 100 miles so far and I haven't touched the tune to compensate so I'll probably be able to iron that out.

The Tilton also comes with a hydraulic throw out bearing so no more slave cylinder. You do setup a supplied pedal stop so it's not pressed down too far. I did run into a snag where the car wouldn't start because it wasn't hitting the clutch switch. As a quick fix I simply unplugged the clutch switch so the car will start without it needing to be depressed. My TT Stealth has been setup that way for years and I like it that way. I did verify that the 2-step still works this morning.

I haven't done any hard launches yet but plan to this weekend when I mount the drag radials. I imagine I might need to launch with a little more RPM due to the lower rotating weight but we'll see. The street manors are fantastic, no worse than the Exedy twin at all, in fact it feels smoother under normal daily driving. My Exedy was causing some random part thottle acceleration phantom knock and the Tilton quelled 95% of it so that was a pleasant surprise. Shifts are silky smooth again, no more notchy shifts or 5th gear grinding. I had the stock slave cylinder hose and restrictor in use with the Exedy and it had a soft engagement compared to the Tilton when I'm banging the gears hard. I miss that, the Tilton makes the drivetrain clunk so much my rearview mirror shook quite a bit...enough to make me look up. Also the tilton is noisy on decel when it's in gear...nothing too nasty but if you have a stockish car and like it quiet this might annoy you. It's not like a straight cut geared transmission whine, more like a rattling/vibration that's noticeable. I can certainly live with it.

I don't have much more to report right now but I'll know more about it this weekend when I mount the drag radials and do some launches. Maybe I'll hit the track next week for ****s and giggles.

big thanks to Buschur for taking good care of me...I've been buying pretty much exclusively from them for awhile now....I can't think of a reason in the world to go elsewhere.

a very happy customer - Chris

other threads of interest:

here's my review of the exedy twin disc I just replaced
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=301377

here's my troubleshooting of the exedy twin disc
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=347028

here's my 05 evo build thread, it chronicle's my car from stock to current.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=246434

Last edited by Mellon Racing; Jul 18, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice, 4k is a big pill to swallow on a clutch, but it seems definitely worth it
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:05 PM
Account Disabled

no doubt the price is painful but I'm going to be pushing the car very hard by the end of the year I hope
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds good man I dont think I could drop that kind of money on a clutch but hey Im sure it will take of your needs for sure and I look forward to seeing what you can do with the setup you are going with.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:10 PM
Account Disabled

I know believe me...my non performance car friends jaws hit the floor when I told them that clutch cost more than their cars
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

That is always great. I love how ppl dont have a clue about much this stuff costs but hey stuff always seems cheaper to ppl who are into it. I would easily drop 10k on my car right now and not think twice about it if I could afford it.

Last edited by ethompson; Jul 18, 2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

so are you still gona daily drive your car with the tilton? or just the track
Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

yep, it's my daily driver and weekend warrior
Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
how long is the lifespan on this unit? how much are the rebuild kits.... $4k on a clutch, wow.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

My wife says "we can remodel the basement for that money. Get a cheap clutch *******!"

And she just bought a 1K piece of jewelery for herself

-E
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
Account Disabled

eh, my evo play account is separate from the checking account
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

-E
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you for the great write up. Very glad to hear we are doing a good job taking care of you and the car.

The Tilton's street life varies depending on the power and the driver. Slorice's made 3,000 miles in his 550 whp pump gas/630 whp race gas EVO we just finished for him. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper when it started slipping. At $4,000 I can't blame him.

The reality of the situation is there isn't a smoother clutch that will hold that kind of power out there. There also isn't a clutch that will shift as smoothly at 10,000 rpm on a WOT shift. For this performance you pay a price.

The good thing is the clutch rebuilds are inexpensive. We have sent our black car clutch out a number of times as well as my RS's clutch. The most expensive rebuild we have had to pay is $250. In reality I think any good machine shop could perform the same service Tilton does for probably $50. I'm chicken to try it though as a mistake would be costly.

The key is to not continue to beat on the car after you notice the clutch is beginning to slip.

Thanks again for the write up and great review of the Tilton and our service. Greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Thank you for the great write up. Very glad to hear we are doing a good job taking care of you and the car.

The Tilton's street life varies depending on the power and the driver. Slorice's made 3,000 miles in his 550 whp pump gas/630 whp race gas EVO we just finished for him. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper when it started slipping. At $4,000 I can't blame him.

The reality of the situation is there isn't a smoother clutch that will hold that kind of power out there. There also isn't a clutch that will shift as smoothly at 10,000 rpm on a WOT shift. For this performance you pay a price.

The good thing is the clutch rebuilds are inexpensive. We have sent our black car clutch out a number of times as well as my RS's clutch. The most expensive rebuild we have had to pay is $250. In reality I think any good machine shop could perform the same service Tilton does for probably $50. I'm chicken to try it though as a mistake would be costly.

The key is to not continue to beat on the car after you notice the clutch is beginning to slip.

Thanks again for the write up and great review of the Tilton and our service. Greatly appreciated.

What are your thoughts on the tilton twin Cerametallic at this power level?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Junk.

Quick Reply: Tilton twin carbon clutch + Buschur Racing