Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Racing Brake ET500 pads review!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Racing Brake ET500 pads review!

I was in the market for new brake pads. I really wanted something identical to stock (good braking ability for daily driving and auto-x, low noise), but I couldn't afford it.

I was about to purchase some comparable Hawk pads when I read a write up about the Racing Brake ET500. According to the posts, I should expect a longer life, better braking for daily driving and auto-x, no noise, less dust, and easy on my rotors. This seemed like it was too good to be true, but at the price I paid (with the discount from 4cdndctn *thanks*), I had to give them a try.

This was my first time changing pads, and even though it took me a long time (I was being really cautious), it was just as easy as everyone says. I used the stock shims and some high temp brake grease on the backs and contact points of the pads to keep noise down.

I also made sure to bed these brakes in properly and followed the bed-in procedures to a T. The pads were noisy, smelly, and under-performing while bedding them in.

After install, I can say that the brakes are everything they were advertised to be and more. Definitely better feel from the pads, more bite, absolutely no noise (not even those little parking squeeks the OEM pads made sometimes). I haven't had them long enough to see the dust or wear of these pads, but honestly, at under $200 shipped for all four wheels, I am just ecstatic.

I'm auto-xing this Sunday, so I'll let you guys know how they do. PM me with any questions.

Old Jul 30, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ nice review. I got the Ferodo DS2500's and would not buy them again - less initial bite than stock pads, and noisy (squeaky) as hell in colder weather. Maybe I'll try the ET500's next time...
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

RoBear, update us with your autocross feedback. I'm looking for the same thing..our stock brakes are lacking, grrr.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

nice info and write up. let us know about your auto X...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

The autocross went really well yesterday. The brakes bit hard, and felt at least on par with the OEM brakes when they were new. I also noticed that they gave me a significantly better feel from the pedal. They also got better with each successive run (heat, I'm assuming), and never, ever squealed.

I'll tell you, though, I had to get used to the bite again, and applying brake pressure firmly but gradually. These things were capable of engaging the ABS much sooner than I was used to if I was over-zealous.

I ended up in 2nd place, about 0.2 seconds behind a lightly modded S2000 driver with 3 years experience. I had a chance to grab 1st and pushed it a little too hard on my last run resulting in a nice slide, 4 destroyed cones and a DNF . The course was pretty tough (an old divisional course), and even though I was disappointed that I couldn't nab 1st place, I was still happy with how things went.

I'll update this thread from time to time with an unofficial long-term test of the Racing Brake ET-500's. Up to this point, though, I don't see myself buying anything else unless I wanted a dedicated track pad.

-Rob
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

thanks Rob for the review. they sound like another great option for the Evo community. could you provide a link to where to get them or the price you paid for them?? how is dusting??
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Here's the link to their website where I ordered: http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake_Pad.../pd1001-35.htm
This is just for the front pads, so don't forget to grab the rears as well.

As you can see, the price is already very competitive, but I paid a little less because I had a promotional discount code that another member provided me. His name is 4cdndctn, and you can see his original post here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ng+Brake+ET500

I'm not real confident I can tell you how they compare to the OEM pads for dust since I've only had them on a little over a week, but they seem to be pretty clean. After heavy braking for both the bed-in and the autocross, my SE BBS wheels still have that shine to them that they have when they are clean. They OEM pads would cover the shine after only a few hard stops.

Let me also say that They have several levels of ET- series pads, and each is designed for different levels of performance. Look into that if you spend more or less time at the track. They also have extremely helpful customer support. About 2 hours after I placed my order, a guy called me to tell me that he was filling the order and shipping it that afternoon.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

ET500 Brake Pad Update: Well, I've had about 1500 miles and 2 autocrosses on these pads now, so here's a little update.

Noise: Still completely silent at all times except under repeated high speed braking when they begin to fade. These brakes weren't designed for this anyway.

Dust: Very low compared to stock. The dust is still there, but wheels were significantly shinier BEFORE I washed them than they usually were with OEM pads.

Rotor Wear: No noticeable signs of excessive rotor wear at this point. I'll keep you updated.

Braking Power: This is the biggest update. I've found the pads lack a great deal of their power when cold. This is normal for any pad, but seems more noticable than stock with these pads. My first lap in the Autocross was a little scary without the braking power I expected. After warming up (a single autocross lap) the brakes were in full force providing excellent power and bite, as good or better than stock.

Brake feel: Again, suffers until the pads are up to temperature. But after just one autocross lap, the pedal was firm and easy to modulate.

Overall, I am quite pleased. Low dust, no noise, as-good-or-better bite, feel and power over stock and all for a fraction of the price. The only drawback I can see is a more noticable lag in performance when cold.

Take your first autox lap slow (a good habit anyway) and you'll never know the difference.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:52 PM

The one thing I've noticed about these pads is that, unlike the Hawk HPS or PF Metallic Z pads I had previously, these seem to shift a bit when braking while in reverse, and then later while going forward. It sounds like the pad is moving forward and aft in the caliper. I haven't taken them out for inspection but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

any update on the pads after 2 years?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Ha ha. I have owned my evo for 4 years and I have replaced the pads every year. I don't think he's still on the same set.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Interested aswell
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I just ordered these pads....I will put some feedback once I put them on
Old Jan 4, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
bump

seems more or less similar to performance with the ferodos, except a little better in every aspect - my other big concern is the rotor wear - how has it been for you guys

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 4, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:34 AM

I've had the et 500s on my car for almost a year now. They work Mick better than the hawk street pads and are easier on the rotors. I have the rb 2 pc rotors as well. The whole set up is very clean and professional. I'd recommend these to anyone.

Quick Reply: Racing Brake ET500 pads review!