Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CBRD BBK Full / Lite Results on a 2.3L

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
CBRD BBK Full / Lite Results on a 2.3L

First of all I had started a post about the testing of the BBK Lite turbo with CBRD. I felt the need to wait until the final version of the lite and full were available to post the following about my results with my 2.3L.

I was having issues because the turbo spooled so fast it was hard to control boost. Keep in mind I was testing this on a 2.3 stroker not a 2.0 like the others were testing on. Also this was with GSC S1 cams (which I will be switching to S2's soon).

The BBK Lite spools so fast on a 2.3 you get instantaneous boost, this caused me problems because it would spike boost then steady out then drop off up top.

After trying to preload the stock wastegate actuator, that made it worse. As well as trying a Forge WGA, it was still not performing as it should. That lead me to believe it was a flow issue with this insanely quick response turbo and the stock manifold on a 2.3L.

So I called Wayne at PPI, great guy and was willing to help me find out how to get this problem fixed. By going with his ultimate port on my bone stock exhaust manifold we thought this would be perfect for the 2.3 flow wise and help steady out boost and hold more steady airflow up top.

After some testing this was definetly worth the upgrade! Wayne was more than willing to work with us but after talking with him he knew exactly what issue we were having and with the extra flow of the 2.3 this was the ticket.

I reccomend anyone with a 2.3 and thinking about the BBK or any stock appearing turbo to send their stuff to Wayne at PPI. I don't think you have a choice if you have a 2.3, if you have a 2.0 I think you will notice a slight increase in spool and a rock solid boost curve.

Wayne got the stuff back to us very fast and answered the phone every time we called him! Great guy and a great assett to the EVO community. He makes great products that work!

The BBK Full is on its way to me, I will be testing this with the porting work and will post the results here for the guys interested in the full with a 2.3L.

Some information about the BBK, pricing and more testing results here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=342683

And here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=379854

P.S. - forgot to mention I made 366 whp / 377 wtq on CBRD's dyno with the mods in my signature below on only 93 oct. pump! Not bad if you ask me! That's a lot more power than I thought I be at on CBRD's dyno with the mod's I have.

~Zach
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
hmmmmmmm..........

could you post dynographs? and a boost and AFR graph?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock parts are not consider mods, why people like to list stock parts as mods in the signature... just list the things you modified
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
hmmmmmmm..........

could you post dynographs? and a boost and AFR graph?
Hopefully Chad can help out here...I have been on his dyno a ton but don't have any graphs, haha.

The day of the EVO meet at CBRD I was testing a new ignition system and had a horrible spark issue so any dyno graphs from that will look like crap.

Chad, help me out here....

~Zach
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
stock parts are not consider mods, why people like to list stock parts as mods in the signature... just list the things you modified
Posted specifically so you can understand why the numbers are not up with Charlie's car. He has a built head and bigger cams, I don't, I wanted people to know that. Understand?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, pretty sure that misfire wasnt helping LMAO!!

sounded like a fireworks show!!

cb
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
yeah, pretty sure that misfire wasnt helping LMAO!!

sounded like a fireworks show!!

cb
You mean that is not good?

Only good pull:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFyGbLgA47A

Spark issues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPnj7UEKN80

~Zach
Old Nov 6, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need spark tech man! I am running .028 gap on BR8ES with no misfires at all.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phenem
First of all I had started a post about the testing of the BBK Lite turbo with CBRD. I felt the need to wait until the final version of the lite and full were available to post the following about my results with my 2.3L.

I was having issues because the turbo spooled so fast it was hard to control boost. Keep in mind I was testing this on a 2.3 stroker not a 2.0 like the others were testing on. Also this was with GSC S1 cams (which I will be switching to S2's soon).

The BBK Lite spools so fast on a 2.3 you get instantaneous boost, this caused me problems because it would spike boost then steady out then drop off up top.

After trying to preload the stock wastegate actuator, that made it worse. As well as trying a Forge WGA, it was still not performing as it should. That lead me to believe it was a flow issue with this insanely quick response turbo and the stock manifold on a 2.3L.

So I called Wayne at PPI, great guy and was willing to help me find out how to get this problem fixed. By going with his ultimate port on my bone stock exhaust manifold we thought this would be perfect for the 2.3 flow wise and help steady out boost and hold more steady airflow up top.

After some testing this was definetly worth the upgrade! Wayne was more than willing to work with us but after talking with him he knew exactly what issue we were having and with the extra flow of the 2.3 this was the ticket.

I reccomend anyone with a 2.3 and thinking about the BBK or any stock appearing turbo to send their stuff to Wayne at PPI. I don't think you have a choice if you have a 2.3, if you have a 2.0 I think you will notice a slight increase in spool and a rock solid boost curve.

The BBK Full is on its way to me, I will be testing this with the porting work and will post the results here for the guys interested in the full with a 2.3L.

P.S. - forgot to mention I made 366 whp / 377 wtq on CBRD's dyno with the mods in my signature below on only 93 oct. pump! Not bad if you ask me! That's a lot more power than I thought I be at on CBRD's dyno with the mod's I have.

~Zach
Congrats Zach from Down Under, I look forward to your BBK full review mate.

The youtube spark blow out sounded nasty, what are you going with for an ignition fix....Spark Tech for eg?

The BR Race FMIC is producing some awesome results for you guy's, what needs to be modified to fit it? I have read somewhere about the crash beam needing to be modded not sure though, can you clear this up for me mate? This is what Chad recommended for me but the insurance issue worries me here. They will do anything to get out of paying after an accident, especially if crash beams etc are played with.

Well done.

Cheers Steve
Old Nov 7, 2008, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DS-03evo
You need spark tech man! I am running .028 gap on BR8ES with no misfires at all.
Does Sparktech work with the factory ECU?

I am currently running .028 gap on 26psi with the Dynatek without any issues. That day my problem was more with a bad plug than the ignition module. Once I fixed the bad plug I was good to go, ask Chad about that plug, the ceramic must of cracked when I installed it....
Old Nov 7, 2008, 04:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Steveevo9

The youtube spark blow out sounded nasty, what are you going with for an ignition fix....Spark Tech for eg?

The BR Race FMIC is producing some awesome results for you guy's, what needs to be modified to fit it? I have read somewhere about the crash beam needing to be modded not sure though, can you clear this up for me mate? This is what Chad recommended for me but the insurance issue worries me here. They will do anything to get out of paying after an accident, especially if crash beams etc are played with.

Well done.

Cheers Steve

Steve,,

we trim just a little on the back of the beam... i may have some other options for you.

cb
Old Nov 7, 2008, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steveevo9

Well done.

Cheers Steve
The BR Race FMIC is sweet! Yes I had to remove my front crash beam to get it to fit, its huge! However I never tried to put it back on, maybe Chad would know where it hits.

~Zach
Old Nov 7, 2008, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
30psi

Sick

CBRD's Dyno is the
Old Nov 7, 2008, 06:56 AM
Account Disabled

it will make more...turbine wheel going in it...

and some spark LOL!!

cb
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
Steve,,

we trim just a little on the back of the beam... i may have some other options for you.

cb
Thanks very much Chad, it'll be some time before I'm able to do this. From the results you have been able to get from the Race FMIC, I'm sold.

Originally Posted by phenem
The BR Race FMIC is sweet! Yes I had to remove my front crash beam to get it to fit, its huge! However I never tried to put it back on, maybe Chad would know where it hits.

~Zach
Thanks Zach. Keep posting your updates mate, always a good read.

Steve

Quick Reply: CBRD BBK Full / Lite Results on a 2.3L