Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Ams lexan window kit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ams lexan window kit

This kit is horrible for drag racing in my opinion. The kit is geared for more mild conditions I guess. They are cut to be installed with adhesive and factory trim reinstalled. Problem is, they are very thin and flex in. When that happens they tear free from the adhesive. Both my front window and rear have pulled completely off the car. I now have to have someone make a new front and rear window the proper way. They will be larger and thicker and will be riveted as intended. Thanks to Crispeed for doing a quick fix to keep me running. He is also the one that will be doing both new windows. For reference, the front window popped on the first stock turbo run at 10.2@133... Back window popped at 10.1@141. Speed tape FTW. Thanks to Indy I had some in my toolbox....

Second problem was one window(driver rear) was not very clear. I asked for months to have it replaced, but it never happened.

Third problem. They only include one window clip per side window. They say one will hold. Not the case. It needs two per window just like the factory one does. IF not it twists in the frame while rolling them up.

I hate writing neatives, but I am just trying to help others out on a budget... This was a very costly mistake for me both for the dollar and in time.... It also almost prevented me from earning my 9 sec license. I am also not the only one this has hapened too.

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Feb 9, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man this review was harsh. It's not like this was from a shi**y company, it's AMS. No offense but you really sound childish. I know it wasn't meant to bash AMS, but one could interpret it that way. Could've said something like, "I dislike it" or "Not suited for drag racing". But you say "Horrible". Whenever I read your posts I have to keep reminding myself you're some grown *** man, not a teenager.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

I dissagree. This is a review of one product. Not of the company that makes them. It says nothing about AMS or the quality of the windows in other race environments. Just facts about the particular kit he has & the way he used it. I love AMS & will continue to buy from them, but nobody is perfect. I think this is a valid product review & not a rip on AMS themselves. I think it's something you would want to see if you are building a 9 seccond car & were looking for weight reduction.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 35rEvo
Man this review was harsh. It's not like this was from a shi**y company, it's AMS. No offense but you really sound childish. I know it wasn't meant to bash AMS, but one could interpret it that way. Could've said something like, "I dislike it" or "Not suited for drag racing". But you say "Horrible". Whenever I read your posts I have to keep reminding myself you're some grown *** man, not a teenager.
Sounds like an honest review to me. He didn't like anything about the kit and pointed out why. Like shunderwunder said, he's not saying AMS as a company is horrible, just the lexan window kit.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I have nothing against AMS at all. Eric is a stand up guy. I have bought parts from them and will continue to if I need something they have. This is a review on the lexan window kit period. They did fall short when I asked for one replacement side window, but I'm sure there was a reasonable explanation and I never persued it anymore. Take it for what its worth. Go ahead and buy it, when the windows buckle on the sides and the front and rear blow out just remember this thread. Sorry you feel I am bashing... As for the childish comment, wow. I am the most straight forward honest person on here just trying to help fellow enthusiests. When something works I scream for joy, when it doesn't I will openly admit it didn't work. The lexan window kit doesn't work or at least it didn't work for me. Ask Procco about his lexan window kit if you feel my opinion is biased for some silly reason

shunderwunder & masternater-Thanks for seeing it for what it is... A review and my personal experience with the kit.

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Feb 9, 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

man, god forbid someone speaks ill of a product from one of the "big guys". its just a product review, and an honest one at that. its straightforward info like this that makes evom a a valuable place for info. grow up if your butthurt cause your favorite vendor is making product that doesnt work flawlessly.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:40 PM

He could've simply stated these aren't suited for hardcore drag race applications, not "horrible". You might not be bashing AMS, but you are bashing one of their products. It just seems weird to make such a negative review about a product of a company in which you have respect for, no matter how bad the product is.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review Brian. I thought of these when they released them, thank god I changed my mind, I guess its time for you to put glass back in it
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

While the website does state they can be glued into place like factory, it also says that AMS recommends using screws or rivets to help secure the windows in place.

You have a choice of either 3/16" thick front window (NHRA LEGAL) or 1/4" thick front window (SCCA LEGAL). AMS also offers a front windshield brace for cars running extremely high speeds. All other windows are 1/8" thick.

These are TOP QUALITY windows made from General Electric mar resistant lexan and are made by the #1 manufacturer of Formed lexan racing windows in the racing industry. They are made to the exact same dimensions / curvature as the factory windows.

Implying they are not made "correctly" is just plain wrong. Implying that they are not designed to be riveted into place is also false.

To me, it sounds more like an installation issue rather than the windows fault. What type of windshield bonding agent was used?

I will let Eric (your sales person) address your other issues.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm really sorry you are having these problems.

As far as the scuffed or hazy window you had. We exchanged several emails back and forth and the last I heard from you was that you were going to try and get me some better pictures of the issue and I never heard from you. I really needed to know what had happened so I could source the cause of the problem. You made it seem like this was not that important and when you got some more time we could work it out. I am sorry I took it this way as you clearly were very upset by this

With the clips initially we were out of the clips that were required to support the window. They are a factory mitsu piece but they were on back order from mitsubishi. You had opted for us to send out the window kit minus the clips and I even gave you the mitsubishi part number so you could try and source them yourself. Again we are more than willing to send you out some more clips.

Most wanted's review was a little harsh but we are not upset with him for it. He has dealt with me directly on most of his purchases and has always been a pretty upstanding and honest guy. I think as Ivan stated there just could of been a better way to install this piece. We have personally put this kit on quite a few cars here at the shop with no issues what so ever.

Please let Ivan or myself know is there is something we can do to help you out with the problems you are having. We stand behind all of our product as you know and we are more than willing to right any wrongs. I hope to hear from you soon!

Eric
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

He could've simply stated these aren't suited for hardcore drag race applications, not "horrible". You might not be bashing AMS, but you are bashing one of their products. It just seems weird to make such a negative review about a product of a company in which you have respect for, no matter how bad the product is.
35rEvo:. He is giving a review... a good one at that... Don't d1ckride AMS. It's not gonna get you any discounts.

For what its worth, the Front and Rear windshields should ALWAYS be riveted in.. (after riveting) I'd also use race tape to, just as a piece of mind thing, you can never be to sure.

Regards,
Chris
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the problem with the riveting idea that has been mentioned which I am very aware of and also think is the best way. There isn't enough lexan to do this with this kit. The lexan sheets that I received barely make it to the inner edge of the pillars. There is over an inch gap between the outer edge of the lexan and the main support beam. I have had 3 chassis shops look at the windows and all say the same thing. You will need to put the rivets too close to the edge and risk cracking the lexan and even then some rivets wont make it into metal. I am only going with what I have been told. Both continuously pop out of place and I now have speed tape to hold them in. Both front and rear have to be replaced with new pieces that are larger in size. This is just my opinion and my experience. I am confident they were installed as best they could be under the circumstances. As for the hazy window, I sent you pics and vids. I got tired of trying to resolve that issue, but am not upset about it any more. My honest opinion is this kit is not worth the hassle. I may even put my glass back in the front and rear.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. Notice how close to the edge you need to place the rivet. This is not common and the windows need to be larger. Look at the gap down low between the lexan and frame.

Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

What type of windshield bonding agent was used?

Silly putty, isnt that what your suppose to use??? CMON, your talking to a guy who spent over $200 for Orange Lamborghini paint for a valve cover. That was a half a pint I never, ever cut corners.

The best, Sikkolene black I still have the bottles at home with the cleaner too. I had them professionally installed.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Do you have pictures of the side windows ?

I too was going to get this kit but was waiting to see a review on it first.

Quick Reply: Ams lexan window kit