Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: Custom Evo X Tow Hook Mount, thanks to JM Fabrications and Evo8dad

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Custom Evo X Tow Hook Mount, thanks to JM Fabrications and Evo8dad

When I learned that my new Evo X had to be registered in VA (front + rear plate state) instead of PA (rear plate only) because of insurance, I had to figure out a way to mount the front license plate without drilling into the bumper.

With that in mind, I contacted Adam (Evo8dad) about getting the front crash beam tapped for a tow hook mount. The tow hook mounted license plate bracket I used was manufactured for the Nissan GT-R.

Adam took the crash beam over to JM Fabrications, and a tap had to be specially ordered to accommodate the odd M24x3.0 thread & pitch. However, they did a superb job with the crash beam, welding a bung onto the beam directly below the tow hook cover. Fitment is perfect.

Click on the images for a larger photo. I apologize for the crappy iPhone quality images.

The tow hook mount looks absolutely OEM. I will get better photos of the whole deal later today.

Overall, it only cost a little less than two hundred for the crash beam tap + weld. This *includes* the price of the M24x3.0 tap that they had to special order for the job. So the actual price of just welding the bung and tapping it is only slightly more than a hundred dollars. The best part of this is, it can fully support the use of a tow hook for a track day.

I would like to thank Adam for his time spent measuring and re-measuring the license plate bracket bolt and crash beam for perfect fitment, and JM Fabrications for doing a fine job tapping and welding the beam to Adam's measurements.

EDIT: More photos. I was too lazy to mount the license plate bracket to the bolt, so I just held it in place. I won't have the actual VA plates in hand for another few weeks.

Last edited by LagginTimes; Aug 18, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Looks good
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This mod turned out very nice, nice idea. It looks completely factory and now he can use it as a license plate bracket but, also as a functional tow hook!! The toughest part was getting the measurements correct so that the GT-R license plate bracket would sit correctly on the bumper and allow enough clearance with the bumper.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:29 AM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but does anybody know if something like this it available for purchase or is it pretty much DIY? I will have to mount my plates when they come in the next couple weeks and I'm looking for alternatives to the OEM front mounting bracket (don't want to drill into bumper)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gundie22
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but does anybody know if something like this it available for purchase or is it pretty much DIY? I will have to mount my plates when they come in the next couple weeks and I'm looking for alternatives to the OEM front mounting bracket (don't want to drill into bumper)
we have a spare beam here, if we can help let me know!

cb
Old Feb 5, 2011, 08:06 AM

That is so cool. Very clever idea to hang the bracket. I thinks the front plate thing some states have really mess the front of a good-looking car. I live in Kansas so I lucked out.
I'm impressed with your idea!

Last edited by student driver; Feb 23, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gundie22
If there is enough interest I could make a run of these for a group buy.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:11 AM

I'm still interested. How many would it take for the group buy? Will this beam with tapped hole also fit standard tow hooks or is it specific pitch/thread to the license plate bracket?

Also, do you have some pics of the licencse plate bracket with plate on the car. Im curious what it looks like as a finished product.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be interested...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

also interested!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:06 PM

Interested here as well
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

For those interested I would do a core exchange program as to keep downtime to you guys as little as possible. The kit would include a new crash beam (for the first few until we get an inventory of beams) with the bung welded in place to accept a tow hook (thread pitch would be M24x3.0).

I could also make available a tow hook as an optional piece that would work with this setup. For those of you that need a front plate I can also include a license plate bracket that would work with this setup as well so no more drilling into your bumper or zip tying the plate to your grille

I'll work up a cost for you guys interested and let you know.

Thanks for the interest!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:32 PM

FYI: Here's what it looks like with the plates on:

Been running like this up until this very day without issue.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
For those interested I would do a core exchange program as to keep downtime to you guys as little as possible. The kit would include a new crash beam (for the first few until we get an inventory of beams) with the bung welded in place to accept a tow hook (thread pitch would be M24x3.0).

I could also make available a tow hook as an optional piece that would work with this setup. For those of you that need a front plate I can also include a license plate bracket that would work with this setup as well so no more drilling into your bumper or zip tying the plate to your grille

Thanks for the interest!
interested as well. Sub for price update.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by evo8dad

Thanks for the interest!
Have you figured out any pricing for this yet?

Quick Reply: Review: Custom Evo X Tow Hook Mount, thanks to JM Fabrications and Evo8dad