Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CBRD BBK full review by Boltz.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBRD BBK full review by Boltz.

Welcome to my complete review of the BBK Full Turbocharger. I’ve seen many people dying for some reviews and results so I won’t skimp out. Hope you ‘re ready for a novel and some real deal results, comparisons against the stock turbo, HTA30R, dyno graphs and track times. Please ask any questions you have, I will be watching this thread.

Pre-Purchase- After selling off my AMS turbo kit, I knew I wanted something that spooled just like the stock turbo but also could produce much more power. I was trying to build a better balanced street machine and that’s exactly what I got. Not willing to deal with the wait for the red or the customer service issues with FP, I had confidence that the BBK would be an excellent turbo for my application.

Product Purchase – Chad was great throughout the whole process. I had a lot of questions which were all answered in a timely and professional manner. I had the BBK in my hands within 5 days of ordering it which was amazing. The porting was very nicely done, the core looked perfect, oh, and the billet blue wheel looks pretty cool too!

Install – Easy squeezey, stock housing turbo = no problems at all

Mod List Mild street setup, about as quiet, drivable, and balanced as an evo can get.
-K&N Cone Filter
-BBK turbocharger
-BR LICP
-AMS FMIC
-Synchronic BPV
-GSC S1 Cams
-Cobb 3” TBE
-Aquamist HFS-1 (~500cc of 80/20 Meth/Water)
-Exedy Twin HD Clutch
-18” Potenza RE01R tires
-Stock manifolds, throttle body, head, bottom end, etc.

__________________________________________________ ______

Street Impressions – The car is a total animal on the street. I've got a few thousand miles and not a single regret. Transient response is ridiculous. The balance between spool and top end is perfect. I really cannot tell a difference at all between the stock turbo and the BBK until about 5-10psi at which point the BBK feels much stronger and even more responsive. It feels worlds better than the 30R, destroys it in terms of out of boost feel and obviously spools a great deal faster. The 30R had many points that just felt dead, something I never experience with the BBK. I have also noticed these dead spots in a red equipped car that I've tuned and driven. Passing on the highway in top gear is child’s play. I really don’t know what else to say about it, it’s such a beast and it really shines in any aspect.

__________________________________________________ _______

Dyno Results – After the Install, it was time to hit the dyno. The dyno I use to tune is a Mustang Dyne MD-1100AWD, it reads very low, much like Buschur’s or CBRD’s.

The first tune I did strictly on pump gas, using just about 25psi. The final result was that with just pump gas I had made about 10whp over the stock turbo with meth and 30+psi (Stock turbo with meth =342whp / BBK without meth = 351whp).

Time to turn up the wick, starting with my AMS 3076HTA map as a base, surprisingly on the first run the BBK was already very close to being completely tuned. A couple fine adjustments later and the final numbers on BBK/Meth were 403/360. Seeing as the motor was completely stock, I decided not to push the envelope and left a very safe amount of timing at peak torque, had I pushed it harder and started in 4th gear, the car would very likely make 400wtq. The final peak numbers were only about 26whp shy of the peak numbers I made on the AMS kit with the tubular manifold it comes with and FP's upgraded HTA compressor wheel (403whp vs 429whp at the same boost pressure). VERY impressive.

Below are graphs comparing the stock turbo +meth vs BBK on meth, BBK on pump vs AMS GT3076HTA on pump and the BBK on meth vs the 3076HTA on meth. Again, my setup is very mild. This is a basic street build (plus meth). With more agressive cams and lots of porting, there should be quite a bit more power available.

__________________________________________________ ________

The quickest time the car had previously posted with the AMS 3076HTA kit on 30psi was-
60’ – 1.664
330- 4.730
1/8th – 7.230
1/8 mph – 98.77
1000’- 9.370
¼- 11.159
¼ mph- 126.83

Drag Results - This was the first time ever launching the new BBK setup, there certainly is room to go faster! I went to the track on Sunday @ US RT41 Dragway which was pretty nice, they are an IHRA track and do not mind you running without a helmet. A little wild compared to what I am used to!

Full Weight – Also with Laptop, In-dash DVD player, Meth kit, Heavy FMIC, All my junk AND more than a half tank of gas! She was a pig that day.

Here are the results. I have notes on the top of the slips.

Somethings to note.
-The power for tens is there, but I am very happy with this for my first outing with this particular setup.
-Best trap of 126.5!
-Best of 1.610 60ft, but got locked out of 4th gear!
-Managed to trap 125.6mph AFTER missing second gear!
-Only .12 seconds slower than the my best on the laggier 3076HTA kit!

__________________________________________________ ____

Cliff Notes; This turbo is incredible.

Just in case you feel like pulling the trigger; CBRD Store

Thanks to; CBRD, Komet Motorsports and Boost Rush!

Without adieu, the beast herself.

Thanks, I hope this helps some of you guys on the fence.

-Justin

EDIT: I wanted to post up another picture. Sleeper much?

Last edited by Boltz.; Jan 11, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

WOW...that is all I have to say.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Nice review. Go for that 10 sec timeslip, that will REALLY pull people over the fence.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

They are some great times, you did much better then I did at the track with my bbk and I'm making 400 whp On cbrd's dyno on pump gas. It was my first time there with my evo so you give me something to shoot for. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Jeff
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

you trapped 126mph with meth?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Another great bolt on option
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:24 PM

VERY NICE! Its hard to describe the bbk full isnt it! Its just ALWAYS in the power, or just a few rpms away! Hands down best street turbo out there! How do you like the sound? Its so loud (in a good way!) every time i spool, even a little and let of I giggle! Ha,ha! I wasnt expecting that WHOOOSH to be THAT loud even when Caleb told me ahead of time! Sounds like its going to suck the bumper off! Makes for some interesting faces from Vett drivers next to you on the freeway when you pull on them just toying witht hem then let off too! I even had a Mustang guy ask me at a light "**** man, is that thing twin turboed?" Haha!!!

Just wondering, what do you think you could run in the 1/4 on the bbk without the meth?

Enjoy man!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

very nice brotha....your car looks great too btw .
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SickSilverNLow
very nice brotha....your car looks great too btw .
Thanks a lot Monty!

Originally Posted by Deezee
VERY NICE! Its hard to describe the bbk full isnt it! Its just ALWAYS in the power, or just a few rpms away! Hands down best street turbo out there! How do you like the sound? Its so loud (in a good way!) every time i spool, even a little and let of I giggle! Ha,ha! I wasnt expecting that WHOOOSH to be THAT loud even when Caleb told me ahead of time! Sounds like its going to suck the bumper off! Makes for some interesting faces from Vett drivers next to you on the freeway when you pull on them just toying witht hem then let off too! I even had a Mustang guy ask me at a light "**** man, is that thing twin turboed?" Haha!!!

Just wondering, what do you think you could run in the 1/4 on the bbk without the meth?

Enjoy man!
I'm guessing that it would run mid 11's with just pump gas.

Yes, that is one thing I did forget to mention. The sound of the compressor wheel is excellent! A lot different than stock.

Originally Posted by jxs1984
you trapped 126mph with meth?
That is correct.

Originally Posted by atkins
They are some great times, you did much better then I did at the track with my bbk and I'm making 400 whp On cbrd's dyno on pump gas. It was my first time there with my evo so you give me something to shoot for. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Keep on practicing, you'll get it down.

Originally Posted by EvoHung
Nice review. Go for that 10 sec timeslip, that will REALLY pull people over the fence.
Thank you. The power certainly is there, I just have to put it all to the ground with a better launch.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice review! I have one of these on my DD IX MR and it's one of the most responsive setups I have driven. Great turbo.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

very impressive. finally some real data from a real driver Not knocking your 60's all though very good, imagine if you netted a 1.50-1.55 on one of those passes. I cant say enough of how impressed i am because the mod list is so mild. good stuff botz.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
awesome! just makes my decision that much easier!!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
awesome! just makes my decision that much easier!!
Glad I could help. You will not be disappointed.

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
very impressive. finally some real data from a real driver Not knocking your 60's all though very good, imagine if you netted a 1.50-1.55 on one of those passes. I cant say enough of how impressed i am because the mod list is so mild. good stuff botz.
Exactly and thank you. If you look closely on the slips (if you can even see it) you'll notice that on my best launch (1.610) I had the same 1/8mph ET as on my best run but 10mph slower! If I actually got into fourth that run I am confident that it would have dipped tens. Next time!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Damn it! Now I've gotta have one
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:33 AM

bbk is def awesome,i just had mine put on and car is at cbrd getting gauges now

Quick Reply: CBRD BBK full review by Boltz.