Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Synapse Synchronic BOV Review Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Synapse Synchronic BOV Review Evo IX MR

I just put on my Synapse Synchronic BOV after much skepticism and mixed reviews on this site. You know this BOV as advertised as a sort of Application Killer, having stock BOV characteristics yet can hold massive boost.
Name:  SYNCHRONIC.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  51.4 KB

Before this we were saddled with powerful BOV's that fluttered on anything but WOT. Some of us had tried the HKS SSQV unit only to have the car fall on the face over and over again. TIAL's work great if you VTA which is a no-no for a Maf equipped car and you have to play with the spring combination.

So flash back to earlier this evening I removed a PERFECTLY GOOD and properly working Stock IX MR BOV. We immediately hit issues installing this unit as I had to be Mr. Fancy Pants and install a metal Upper Radiator hose. The Synchronic BOV is HUGE in comparison to any stock unit so we had to loosen my intake pipe and rotate it as far as it would go towards the nose of the car. We also had to loosen the stock recirculation hose and clock it to just BARELY fit the BOV. It fit but JUST fit.
Name:  1216091617.jpg
Size:  67.3 KB

As you can see it clears barley and the Stock BOV on the battery looks mighty jealous.

Name:  1216091616.jpg
Size:  77.9 KB

I run the AEM True-Boost so I simply split the boost line and T'd it from there as a boost source to Nipple C. I used the OEM vacuum source for the OEM BOV to Nipple A, I left Nipple B alone and that was that.

Driving Impressions? Spool-up is faster, plain and simple, black and white. The Turbo is more responsive and hits harder. I had to lower my boost considerably as well. The OEM MR BOV probably was leaking under spool-up and WOT. The car hits boost so fast and keeps it there. The car just feels more powerful over all, I am running 27PSI BTW.

Drive-ability? Seriously? Better then stock. No exaggeration it acts identically to the OEM BOV yet it doesn't leak so even part throttle summons more boost then anticipated. I also had to lower the crack pressure on my True-Boost (the point where the Sensor starts telling the wastegate to open) to a lower 7 PSI Vs. 9 PSI before.

It makes the car drive so much better, the turbo is just flat out more responsive.

This thing works as advertised.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATE ABOUT A YEAR AGO I UPDATED TO ALL AMS PIPING AND MINI BATTERY, MUCH BETTER FIT!!!!!!

FYI, all Evo owners unless you are running a laggy GT40, hook up ONE port for vacuum, not two it'll flutter like crazy.

New pics of recent install.

Name:  DSCF1193.jpg
Size:  114.3 KB

As you can see I relocated the BOV so it is out of the way but still dumps back into the intake which is what you want.

Name:  DSCF1189.jpg
Size:  106.5 KB

Long as Intake BOV return thingy.

The Above two pics are as it sits now with the FP Intake Turbo, notice the return tube is indeed shorter as it fit better then the HKS intake tube did.

Name:  DSCF1152.jpg
Size:  129.4 KB
Name:  DSCF0954.jpg
Size:  107.3 KB
Name:  DSCF0952.jpg
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  DSCF0951.jpg
Size:  124.0 KB

I had to improvise to make it fit with the HKS intake tube.

Last edited by High_PSI; Mar 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: !!!!!!update on new pics of install!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just installed mine this week, it flutters like crazy i have to try different set ups i guess i have a&b connected
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet!!! Im thinking of riddin my ix dv... Im at 27psi on e85.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sLUg_
Sweet!!! Im thinking of riddin my ix dv... Im at 27psi on e85.
From what I am told your unit is leaking at anything above 22PSI. Try it. You could also crush your IX BOV for free.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by localtoys73
i just installed mine this week, it flutters like crazy i have to try different set ups i guess i have a&b connected
What turbo do you have? Stock? Then Just Port A, if it is a bigger, lagier turbo then A+B or maybe even B with A Open.

First I would try loosening the tension of the spring, loosen it first if you just have A connected.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm also running this bov. Its awesome. I have port a and c connected. I had both a and b connected and it fluttered. I removed port b and its perfect now. I had a crushed 9 bov before this running 30 Psi. I hooked this up and had to turn the boost down. Highly recommended
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I'm also running this bov. Its awesome. I have port a and c connected. I had both a and b connected and it fluttered. I removed port b and its perfect now. I had a crushed 9 bov before this running 30 Psi. I hooked this up and had to turn the boost down. Highly recommended
You get faster spool-up and better boost?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

i have a red on e85 at around 32lbs on boost
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
You get faster spool-up and better boost?
Yes actually now im overboosting in 4th gear and hitting fuel cut. Im getting retuned when I get my red turbo so I can live with it for now. Its cold out anyway and I really dont get on it in the winter time.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Very cold for me as well. I will maybe post a video later.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

how does it sound compared to stock?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great BOV, we have a sale on them right now with Free adapter flanges if anyone needs any!!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
how does it sound compared to stock?

I little louder and the sound is more pronounced, much more mechanical sounding, here is a video I found on You-Tube, it isn't Greddy Type S over-the-top look at me with my loud BOV but a different sound none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/user/synaptic.../7/Qlzq2NHrLwA

This is how mine sounds exactly in the video above.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:06 AM
Account Disabled

a customer of mine went from the APS twin vent I suggested to try the synapse to see if it would handle some minor red surging he was feeling. As it turned out this actually made it worse and he returned to the APS twin vent. His feeling was that the synapse was a little too sensitive.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
they are very finicky to get right, but i think i have mine almost perfect.

Quick Reply: Synapse Synchronic BOV Review Evo IX MR