Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

My 600+whp FP Black Equipped Evo 8..

Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 600+whp FP Black Equipped Evo 8..

I just finally registered in these forums to share some of my experiences during the modification process with my 2005 Evo 8. I've done quite a bit of R&D on this forum but never registered until now because I finally feel I have an Evo which may actually inspire a few people out there...

I have been far and wide all the way out west and back to find the perfect evo shop to build my car. I have been to numerous shops and have had nothing but trouble, breaking, lying, dishonest people, and 3 blown turbos within 400 miles of each other.

I previously had a pretty lengthy list of modifications until I contacted Pete from DG Motors...

Here is what I started with:

SlowBoy Bottom End ( Ross Pistons/ Manley I-Beam Rods)
Buschur Stage 3 Head w/ HKS 264 In/Ex Cams
FP Red Turbo
Aquamist Alcohol Injection w/ dual M5 Jets
Exedy Tripple HD Clutch
Aem Ems
Buschur Racing 4" IC w/ Race Piping
Buschur Tbe
Buschur Ported Exhaust Manifold/Intake Manifold/T-Body
Buschur C.O.P
Buschur Double Pumper
Precision 1200c.c Injectors
Buschur Intake
Shep Tranny/T-case

Basic Power Mods...

I originally got tuned from the shop that made most of the parts in my signature, was told I needed an Aem and a Coil On Plug for the power goals I had in mind. Plain and Simple, was not happy with the car and how it felt so I took it elsewhere.

Went to another shop in CT and they got me to swap out the Aem Ems for the stock ecu and stock ignition. I sold them and got some funding back. I also purchased an aquamist alcohol injection kit. I made 520whp on a dynojet and was satisfied, for 500 miles until the turbo blew up. I then went back to CT, dropped the car off and had to purchase another FP Red. Got the car back, enjoyed it for another 500 miles and it blew up. Done, onto the next shop to the next shop and the pattern continued for quite some time with either getting ripped off or having my car break every couple hundred miles or so.

Everyone knows how expensive it is to maintain an evo, let alone buying a new FP Red turbo every 500 miles was starting to hurt. Everyone seemed to have a different opinion or view on what modifications I needed to consistently and safely run my car hard all the time.

This time around, I purchased the 3rd FP Red and did the install myself with my friend. Everything went smooth and the car felt great again, for another 500 miles......I think you guys can figure out what happened next....

I called Pete from DG Motors and asked him what his honest opinion was for me to do at this point after dumping thousands of dollars into my car over the past couple of years with absolutely no success.

He said no problem and I had the car towed to his facility. Upon inspection of the turbo Pete said it was not getting sufficient oil, especially after realizing I didn't have the updated line and filter kit FP now includes with their turbos. I go away to college and had the car sitting in my garage for over a year so the updated line was not yet released.

Here is what Pete came up with:

Upgrade Blown FP Red to FP Black
Kelford 280 Race Cams
Custom Ecu-Flash Tune

Pete also stated he can get me a reliable 600whp on the stock ecu with a few tricks here and there. I said all sounds well but I honestly did not have the budget for a new set of cams + labor this time around. He said no problem and the next day he had my blown turbo shipped out to FP for the Black treatment.

After Pete received the new turbo and updated oil feed line and filter kit a business week later, he had everything installed and ready to be tuned the following day.

Pete also performed a compression test, boost leak test, and threw in a new set of plugs correctly gaped free of charge this way the tuning went as smooth as possible.

After the car was strapped down Pete kept me updated pull by pull while I was away at school which was nice since 3/4 of the shops I went to wouldn't even allow me to be near the dyno.

After roughly 5 or 6 pulls, Pete came up with 620whp @ roughly 37psi. I was amazed, had a long talk with Pete and had my best friend go and pick the car up the following weekend. I asked Pete to personally drive the car around, log it, beat on it, and make sure it was bullet proof before my buddy squared up with him a few days later.

I came home from school for Spring break last Friday and took the car out for a ride. Wow is all I can say, car felt great until I no lift shifted and popped the clutch clip out. The clutch pedal went to the floor and I said "you have got to be kidding me......"

This was in no way shape or form Pete's fault and I asked him what I should do since I didn't have a trailer nor much funding to get the car picked up and have him pull my tranny. All he did was install a turbo and re-tune the car.

Pete told me not to worry about getting a trailer, he told me I could use his enclosed trailer for his race car the following Monday. Wow is all I can say. I came out to his facility around 12 pm, picked up his trailer, went home and got my car and brought my now broken car back to DG around 4 pm.

We got the car off the trailer, Pete put it on the lift and had the tranny out in less than hour sure enough to find out the clutch clip popped out of my Exedy Tripple Disk Clutch which had roughly 2,000 miles on it.

Pete had a new clip at his facility, popped it back in and had the tranny installed before I got to his shop at 10 a.m the next morning to give him a helping hand, he opens shop at 8 a.m.

When I got there he said I have some news for you! He wasn't too happy with the top end of my power band due to the mild HKS 264's. He had a used set of Buschur Racing BF 272's and sponsored the cams, the installation and only charged me for 2 hours labor for pulling the tranny, installing a new clip and then re-installation with fresh fluids for the t-case and tranny. Pete also threw in one of his custom Slave Blocks which prevents the clutch clip to pop out.

Pete also sponsored a re-tune for the new cams and had me back on the dyno right before lunch time (12:30).

We ended up with 640whp @ 40psi 93 Octane/ 100% Meth! Not only did we pick up 20 extra peak whp, but we added an extra 75whp on the top end which is exactly what Pete said he was looking for with a more aggressive set of cams.

Here is the new dynosheet as of Yesterday:

Now I know DG got banned from the forum but jeez, that is what I call customer service.

I will keep everyone updated on how the car performs and I have no doubt in my mind that it will last this time. After logging the car we never saw more than 2 counts of knock on the top end. The car is an animal and keep in mind this is still on the stock ecu, stock ignition, stock maf with a really aggressive set of cams as well. The car drives better than it ever did, idles better than it ever did, and feels extremely fast. A quick punch in 3rd shreds tire at peak boost (40psi).

I am utterly amazed,

Thank You for reading.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88chQcmU550

Last edited by EvoFPblack; Apr 11, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:40 PM

After reading this I'm amazed also. DG motors ftw.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

woow Dude...u have some luck with that car man...GL homie.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:42 PM

Sounds like after all the money you went threw it finally came threw sounds good now put up a video or make one! would have liked to see this thing on the dyno!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by stockredevo
After reading this I'm amazed also. DG motors ftw.
Originally Posted by tchouko
woow Dude...u have some luck with that car man...GL homie.
Originally Posted by mal45247
Sounds like after all the money you went threw it finally came threw sounds good now put up a video or make one! would have liked to see this thing on the dyno!
Thanks guys, I will have some footage soon. Still trying to get used to the car. I thought 520whp was fast, this is just un-real.

They just had their 3,500lb sponsored evo x go 11.0 with 504whp (dyno jet adjusted) on 18" street tires.

I have 100whp more, weigh less and know this is a 10 second street tire car no problem.

I really hope the mods leave this thread open.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Wow is all I gotta say! Sounds like this was staged for dg motors!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Wow I wish a tuner came to me and said I dont like the way your car pulls let me throw in a beefier set of cams and tune on the house! WOW!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by aaevol9
Wow I wish a tuner came to me and said I dont like the way your car pulls let me throw in a beefier set of cams and tune on the house! WOW!
Well that was his quote and opinion in a nutshell. He talked to me about upgrading my previous set of cams from the start but I just did not have the budget.

I believe this is now his highest whp FP Black build on the stock ecu thus far so it may have been worth it for him to sponsor me the cams as well. He said it only took him an extra 45 minutes to swap them out.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well maybe dg learned its better to help people then screw them over and mess with dyno results. glad your happy well see how long your car stays together this time around i hope it does but if it blows then you need to sell it and move on lol. from your first paragraph sounds like you were pissed off and unhappy with buschur racing.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RockmanX
well maybe dg learned its better to help people then screw them over and mess with dyno results. glad your happy well see how long your car stays together this time around i hope it does but if it blows then you need to sell it and move on lol. from your first paragraph sounds like you were pissed off and unhappy with buschur racing.
I was unhappy with every other shop I brought my car to and spent thousands upon thousands of dollars...

Well all I can say is DG gave me no signs of being sketchy at all. Pete only got out of the car to check the spark plugs between every 2 pulls and or adjust the computer for scalings etc...the correction factor stayed the same the whole time.

They also seemed to be rather busy as well.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I guess all that bashing made DG a better shop..good luck with the car, and a nice video of the car would be cool.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats a ton of power man!!!!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
such bad luck you had, it paid off at the end.
is she scary to drive when you wot?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
such bad luck you had, it paid off at the end.
is she scary to drive when you wot?
yes, I've had a bad run but believe I found the right place now. I have no reason to believe other since everything is still in one piece for the time being.

The car moves. It's such a different feel considering I have an extra 100whp than I was previously getting used to. I have some cruddy street tires on there for now and she rips all four of them loose in 3rd.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:30 AM
Account Disabled

If anyone has any real technical questions please use the email in my profile.

Pete has opted to answer anything I can't so if I get any p.m's regarding a tuning question or something technical I can't fully answer, I will ask you to use their email address for anything question related.

Just title the question: "Question about Mike's Evo 8."

Car has been driving smooth. I put a 100 miles on her since I've been to the shop. It doesn't seem like much but to me It's been so far so good. No un-expected leaks in the driveway or noises from the engine bay. To be honest the cams are pretty aggressive at an idle but I don't mind, the car sounds like a top fuel dragster getting ready to stage when waiting at a light!!!

I also notice a huge difference being on the stock ecu opposed to the aem ems. Back when I had the aem, I always noticed or felt a bottom end stumble which was never really able to be fixed. Some tuners said It's normal and the low end stumble is just part of the game, others have said it can be the cams. Now on the stock ecu, even on 1200cc Injectors, the car just drives effortless through the powerband upon regular acceleration. Even coming off an idle in first gear, there is no stumbles or blips which is a plus in my book. Pete said it could have been a fuel/scaling or timing related issue in the old mapping but I couldn't quote him on that since he never saw the mapping.

So far so good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 600+whp FP Black Equipped Evo 8..