evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > EvoM Forums > Vendor Service, Parts & Tuning Review
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Vendor Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (24)
Garage is empty, add now
 
240Z TwinTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,321

Drives: 2006 EVO IX, Built RB26DET with no home, 1991 Acura NSX

Spoolin'Up COP Review

Purchased the prefabbed kit without issue and my questions were all answered quickly. I purchased the recommended part numbers listed on the website, which lead me to a set of COP's from a 2008 Toyota Yaris for $52 shipped. I also purchased some new DENSO plugs as the car has ~47K miles.

COP arrived as promised on the scheduled delivery day. When I test fit the coils I noticed several things.

- Coils appeared to require they be seated much further than what is shown on website. Therefore, I could not use the spacer and had to use just a single washer as the rubber insulator had to be removed for the COP to set far enough onto the plug.
- Another issue was that these coils did not have an angled up connector, which caused the far passenger side coil connector to interfere with both the valve cover and wiring harness. This necessitated that I spin this coil ~200 deg from the other coils
- The carbon plate was jacked on the front edge due to it being the actual edge of the laminate. When I say jacked, the actual weave was misaligned within the resin. I don't think this would be an issue if the part had been cut from the center of the master panel.
- Someone needs to create a CAD file for the plate so it is cut more neatly. I would also recommend someone cut the plate for a IX(this was disclosed before purchase.)
- Because these coils set so much further down then what I have seen on the website I was able to use the factory cover, which I preferred due to the jacked carbon and coils that were not all aligned in the same direction.

I am sure some people will be mad that I made this post, but I call it like I see it. Overall I am happy as I have $250 invested in the entire kit, which is less than half the cost of the Sparktech jobber. I can tell a slight difference over stock so I think the kit is worth the cost. I would only recommend the plate be reworked for something CNC cut. People need to also know these coils don't have the angled up connector so they will hit the valve cover on the passenger side.

Pics are below....

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (24)
Garage is empty, add now
 
240Z TwinTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,321

Drives: 2006 EVO IX, Built RB26DET with no home, 1991 Acura NSX

I looked at the sparktech COP and see they also use a similar COP that requires they angle the COPS in a different direction. I may try this with an aluminum plate and post results.

I need to also let you know the plugs are gapped in the 0.028-0.030" range running 21psi with no issues.

To be fair, I need to give my overall recommendation to purchase this kit, but be aware of the coil issue with the Yaris stuff.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Apr 21, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (40)
Garage is empty, add now
 
AngryEvo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Joliet IL
Posts: 1,346

Drives: In Boost constantly

Acouple more questions for a possible future customer..

Was this the pre-made kit w/o the coils or the DIY kit?

Also did you use the Yaris coils to save on the costly evo ones?
__________________
-2.0LR 10:1 FF 6466 Streetcar-9.26@150
Powered By
>Boostin Performance>
-AngryAero-
-Justins Powdercoating-
-SharkFab-
Zolpers Auto Restoration

Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (24)
Garage is empty, add now
 
240Z TwinTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,321

Drives: 2006 EVO IX, Built RB26DET with no home, 1991 Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryEvo8 View Post
Acouple more questions for a possible future customer..

Was this the pre-made kit w/o the coils or the DIY kit?

Also did you use the Yaris coils to save on the costly evo ones?
I purchased the premade kit without coils.

I chose the Yaris coils because they were recommended. I also like that I could choose coils from a 2008 model, which is much newer.

I am not sure what evo ones you are referring.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
dawdbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Queens
Posts: 58

Drives: In Boost ALL THE Time!

Send a message via AIM to dawdbeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo View Post
I purchased the premade kit without coils.

I chose the Yaris coils because they were recommended. I also like that I could choose coils from a 2008 model, which is much newer.

I am not sure what evo ones you are referring.
so this kit u got was with out coils? if sowhat was the price ? and did u do the wiring ur self?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (40)
Garage is empty, add now
 
AngryEvo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Joliet IL
Posts: 1,346

Drives: In Boost constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo View Post
I purchased the premade kit without coils.

I chose the Yaris coils because they were recommended. I also like that I could choose coils from a 2008 model, which is much newer.

I am not sure what evo ones you are referring.
Referring to the oem coils which are higher priced then the Yaris.

How does the car feel now after the install. I know you said you could tell a slight difference, did you have any ignition issues before?
__________________
-2.0LR 10:1 FF 6466 Streetcar-9.26@150
Powered By
>Boostin Performance>
-AngryAero-
-Justins Powdercoating-
-SharkFab-
Zolpers Auto Restoration

Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:42 PM   #7
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (17)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 302

Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR

Send a message via MSN to churchja
Here's mine (used Denso coils)... just wanted to post as a reference so you can see the differences TwinTurbo pointed out. I do like the fact he can install the cover on his setup.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks,

Jay

I know it's been discussed; but since I had a HKS DLI2 prior to getting the Spoolin'Up COP, I decided to run both. ZERO issues and working great.

Last edited by churchja; Apr 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:55 AM   #8
Silver Sponsor
Personal Sales Rating: (55)
Garage is empty, add now
 
SpoolinUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 600

Drives: 04 SSL, 08 Supercharged Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo View Post
Purchased the prefabbed kit without issue and my questions were all answered quickly. I purchased the recommended part numbers listed on the website, which lead me to a set of COP's from a 2008 Toyota Yaris for $52 shipped. I also purchased some new DENSO plugs as the car has ~47K miles.

COP arrived as promised on the scheduled delivery day. When I test fit the coils I noticed several things.

- Coils appeared to require they be seated much further than what is shown on website. Therefore, I could not use the spacer and had to use just a single washer as the rubber insulator had to be removed for the COP to set far enough onto the plug.
- Another issue was that these coils did not have an angled up connector, which caused the far passenger side coil connector to interfere with both the valve cover and wiring harness. This necessitated that I spin this coil ~200 deg from the other coils
- The carbon plate was jacked on the front edge due to it being the actual edge of the laminate. When I say jacked, the actual weave was misaligned within the resin. I don't think this would be an issue if the part had been cut from the center of the master panel.
- Someone needs to create a CAD file for the plate so it is cut more neatly. I would also recommend someone cut the plate for a IX(this was disclosed before purchase.)
- Because these coils set so much further down then what I have seen on the website I was able to use the factory cover, which I preferred due to the jacked carbon and coils that were not all aligned in the same direction.

I am sure some people will be mad that I made this post, but I call it like I see it. Overall I am happy as I have $250 invested in the entire kit, which is less than half the cost of the Sparktech jobber. I can tell a slight difference over stock so I think the kit is worth the cost. I would only recommend the plate be reworked for something CNC cut. People need to also know these coils don't have the angled up connector so they will hit the valve cover on the passenger side.

Pics are below....
Hmm, this is probably my bad. I sent you the plate made for the coils with the angled connectors. Maybe you should have PM'd me first?

As far as the plate, was the package damaged at the edges? I look at each and every plate before I ship them.

PM me and I'll get you a new one cut when the CNC is back. BTW Acetone will remove that marking paint on the coils.
__________________
-Matt- http://www.SpoolinUp.com
"Performance without the Price Tag"

DIY Parts - Used Coil COP - New Coil COP - GM BCS Harness - SD Harness
Iridium Plugs - Resistor Pack Bypass
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:35 AM   #9
Stingray Pilot
Personal Sales Rating: (49)
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Kracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 8,954

Drives: GheyRay

Glad I spent the extra $50 and got the complete kit straight from SpoolinUp

Click the image to open in full size.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:00 AM   #10
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (24)
Garage is empty, add now
 
240Z TwinTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,321

Drives: 2006 EVO IX, Built RB26DET with no home, 1991 Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinUp View Post
Hmm, this is probably my bad. I sent you the plate made for the coils with the angled connectors. Maybe you should have PM'd me first?

As far as the plate, was the package damaged at the edges? I look at each and every plate before I ship them.

PM me and I'll get you a new one cut when the CNC is back. BTW Acetone will remove that marking paint on the coils.
Let me start by saying I am a DIY person so appreciate what you are doing and that your goal is to simply support the EVO community. I hope my post will solidify this fact, but also so we can all learn about the differences in coils and what it takes to make them work. I think it is nice that there is an option to retain the factory cover. I have a buddy that does CNC so I can work with him on creating the CAD file for this type of setup using the Yaris COPs. This may require the pigtail lengths be reworked, but that is an easy change on your end.

As far as the PM, I sent you a PM one week prior to the shipping of the kit letting you know that I purchased coils from a 2008 Toyota Yaris.

With regards to the acetone, the weave is misaligned within the resin so it is not something that can be wiped off. This is something that cannot be missed if you personally packaged the part. I would also say that my plate was not CNC cut as the holes look like they were cut using a pellet gun and certainly not the quality portrayed on your website. I would say the holes were cut by hand using some type of router as best I can tell.

Look, I am happy that I purchased this kit from you and I saved a lot of money over the other options so it is all good for me. With that said, i am providing an honest review of the product and I appreciate that you want to work with me to correct any problems.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Apr 22, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:05 AM   #11
Stingray Pilot
Personal Sales Rating: (49)
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Kracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 8,954

Drives: GheyRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo View Post
With regards to the acetone
He is talking about using it to remove the yellow paint from your coils, not anything to do with the carbon fiber.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Silver Sponsor
Personal Sales Rating: (55)
Garage is empty, add now
 
SpoolinUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 600

Drives: 04 SSL, 08 Supercharged Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo View Post
Let me start by saying I am a DIY person so appreciate what you are doing and that your goal is to simply support the EVO community. I hope my post will solidify this fact, but also so we can all learn about the differences in coils and what it takes to make them work. I think it is nice that there is an option to retain the factory cover. I have a buddy that does CNC so I can work with him on creating the CAD file for this type of setup using the Yaris COPs. This may require the pigtail lengths be reworked, but that is an easy change on your end.

As far as the PM, I sent you a PM one week prior to the shipping of the kit letting you know that I purchased coils from a 2008 Toyota Yaris.

With regards to the acetone, the weave is misaligned within the resin so it is not something that can be wiped off. This is something that cannot be missed if you personally packaged the part. I would also say that my plate was not CNC cut as the holes look like they were cut using a pellet gun and certainly not the quality portrayed on your website. I would say the holes were cut by hand using some type of router as best I can tell.

Look, I am happy that I purchased this kit from you and I saved a lot of money over the other options so it is all good for me. With that said, i am providing an honest review of the product and I appreciate that you want to work with me to correct any problems.
With taking that work trip I was in a rush and just forgot about the coil choice you had.

It was cut from a CNC. Hence why I am in the process of upgrading and fixing it before they come available again (thing went beserk yet again, stepper motor was tweaking out, upgrading to a new driver board too).. A few plates I had time run twice to get them cut but aesthetically when the coils are on there they should look fine. Still unsure how yours delaminated though.

Like I said I can cut you a plate and get you a premade harness for those coils, which I already have files for, but you really need to bring these things to PM as the forum rules state first, especially to clear up the initial misunderstandings. You guys all know I'm here to help and strive to never have an unhappy customer.

Please PM me and we'll get you ironed out.
__________________
-Matt- http://www.SpoolinUp.com
"Performance without the Price Tag"

DIY Parts - Used Coil COP - New Coil COP - GM BCS Harness - SD Harness
Iridium Plugs - Resistor Pack Bypass
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:05 AM   #13
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
MJ23FE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ.201
Posts: 1,458

Drives: WW IX MR

Send a message via AIM to MJ23FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinUp View Post
With taking that work trip I was in a rush and just forgot about the coil choice you had.

It was cut from a CNC. Hence why I am in the process of upgrading and fixing it before they come available again (thing went beserk yet again, stepper motor was tweaking out, upgrading to a new driver board too).. A few plates I had time run twice to get them cut but aesthetically when the coils are on there they should look fine. Still unsure how yours delaminated though.

Like I said I can cut you a plate and get you a premade harness for those coils, which I already have files for, but you really need to bring these things to PM as the forum rules state first, especially to clear up the initial misunderstandings. You guys all know I'm here to help and strive to never have an unhappy customer.

Please PM me and we'll get you ironed out.
I don't understand why this wasn't done by the OP from the get go. You should always contact the original seller/manufacturer of the product if you have any issues or questions.

I don't know anyone who has any issues with your product. I have 2 personal friends who run it, and I know kracka and scheides both run it as well without any issues at all.

to Matt a.k.a. Spoolin'Up. He'll def take care of you.

-Jalal
__________________
Levant IX
JZPhotography - JZP
CBRD Speedfactory
TeamXXXRacing
SoHonda Garage.
TSE|TriStateEvo
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Silver Sponsor
Personal Sales Rating: (55)
Garage is empty, add now
 
SpoolinUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 600

Drives: 04 SSL, 08 Supercharged Jeep SRT-8

He meant well so no offense taken here.

Speaking of Scheides I need to finish his harness....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23FE View Post
I don't understand why this wasn't done by the OP from the get go. You should always contact the original seller/manufacturer of the product if you have any issues or questions.

I don't know anyone who has any issues with your product. I have 2 personal friends who run it, and I know kracka and scheides both run it as well without any issues at all.

to Matt a.k.a. Spoolin'Up. He'll def take care of you.

-Jalal
__________________
-Matt- http://www.SpoolinUp.com
"Performance without the Price Tag"

DIY Parts - Used Coil COP - New Coil COP - GM BCS Harness - SD Harness
Iridium Plugs - Resistor Pack Bypass
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
MJ23FE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ.201
Posts: 1,458

Drives: WW IX MR

Send a message via AIM to MJ23FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinUp View Post
He meant well so no offense taken here.

Speaking of Scheides I need to finish his harness....
His car was recently in a little roll over. There's a thread started on it some where on the forum. Do a search by his user name.

I can't wait until I can order one of these kits from you, Matt. I want to get my kit to look as OEM as possible, with heat shrink on all the wires so that I don't have to worry about dust/dirt getting in the plugs/harnesses.

Same goes for your SD kits. I'd love to be able to just order both of these kits and have nothing else to worry about. Unplug the OEM stuff and plug your kits in and be good to go. No worries about water/dirt/elements, etc.



-Jalal
__________________
Levant IX
JZPhotography - JZP
CBRD Speedfactory
TeamXXXRacing
SoHonda Garage.
TSE|TriStateEvo
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
240z, coils, cop, dats, evo, ignition, instructions, kit, perfomance, performance, reviews, spoolin, spoolinup, turbo, twin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 









All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Passwords