Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

WORKS short-shifter and shifter base bushings installed (Evo X)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
WORKS short-shifter and shifter base bushings installed (Evo X)

This morning I got my shifter and base bushings installed to go along with the WORKS under-hood shifter bushings that I installed last week. All I can say is: "Wow, what an improvement!" One of my biggest gripes against the stock X was the very rubbery and sloppy feeling shifter. The complete WORKS shifter package along with the AMS shifter gate pivot bushing did a great job taking up all that slack and making for a nice feeling shifter. I opted for the urethane shifter bushings over the solid metal ones like I've used in all previous cars mainly just to try something new but also to keep interior noises to a minimum. The shifter feels very precise and in the end I am glad I went for the urethane bushings over the metal ones. I made sure to lubricate everything very well with a heavy-duty lithium grease so hopefully I'll never have to touch them again (aluminum shifter bushings seem to need annual relubrication in my experience).

Install notes:
The console assembly on the X came apart even easier than the 8/9 consoles I had previous experience with. The instructions WORKS provided were decent, but I ended up following the step-by-step install guide from TWM's website since it was nearly perfect and included detailed color photos. The shifter base bushings were a bit of a bear to install since they were obviously manufactured for a snug fit...almost too snug and took quite a bit of effort to get them in. I ended up installing the front two upside down which made things easier; I see no side-effects from doing this, fitment was still perfect and everything is nice and tight (I would recommend this method to anyone else installing these). I will also note that the metal sleeves from the stock rubber bushings are reused so be sure to not lose them.

Driving impressions:
The shifter feels great, nice and tight but without the chunky noise of solid metal bushings! The WORKS shifter angles the know slight rearward (similar to stock, but more aggressively) and towards the driver to center the knob in the shift boot area (similar to TWM's shifter). If I had one complaint it would be that is possible angles the knob a tiny bit too far rearward, but I have fairly long arms so it would probably be perfect for a person of more stubby stature WORKS claims a 25% reduction in throw and about .5" shift knob lowering which I think feels about perfect. Throw effort is slightly increased due to the reduced leverage but nothing to concern myself with and not enough to ever cause an issue.

Now I just need to drain out the factory-fill fluid and replace it with the Redline cocktail for the X 5-speed tranny (2-MTL 1-MT90) for what I hope will complete my "ultimate Evo X GSR shifter" setup.

Last edited by Kracka; Jul 3, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

WORKS shifter in neutral:
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Quick update after 4 days of use:

The more I drive with this shifter the more I love it. All shifts are so much quicker and precise now, especially the downshifts. It feels like the X benefited more from the short-shifter than my IX did. I am very pleased with the 25% throw reduction and .5" lowered shift knob. I may consider trying a heavier and solid metal shift knob sometime in the future, but for now the optional Mitsu aluminum knob is working out just fine (see post #17 for an update).

I am also happy with my urethane bushing choice. I've always run solid metal shifter bushings in the past and was a bit concerned I'd be losing out on some of that preciseness but I do not think I am. Everything feels very solid and tight, just without the clunky noise of solid metal bushings.

Last edited by Kracka; Jul 3, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Another update to my review: I drained the factory-fill tranny fluid at ~1,300 miles yesterday and replaced with my Redline cocktail (2 MTL and 1 MT90 for the X) and wow does this thing feel even smoother now! I am now 100% happy with the way the transmission and shifter feel. I would recommend my exact setup to anyone, track, street, daily-driver, etc..
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
so which made the biggest difference?

shifter?
bushes?
fluids?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^I would also like to know
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
so which made the biggest difference?

shifter?
bushes?
fluids?
If I had to do just one...I wouldn't, I'd save up and do them all

The bushings got rid of the slop, the shifter got rid of the semitruck throws, and the fluid made everything silky smoother rather than notchy. Each component made a very significant difference really adding to the complete package. All said and done everything (bushings, shifter, fluid) cost me under $300 shipped and I couldn't be happier. If forced to do only 1 component of this package though I'd probably say Redline fluid just b/c it's the cheapest and part of regular preventative maintenance, but you'd honestly be missing out by not doing everything else.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

but why this combination of fluids?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monkey_187
but why this combination of fluids?
Mitsu spec calls for a 75W-80 so to create that I decided it was best to mix 2 qts. MTL (70W-80) with 1 qt. MT-90 (75W-90). The guys running 75W-90 complain about ultra notchy shifting until the transmission is given a few miles to warm up and that is unacceptable to me. I always ran 2 MT-90 with 1 MTL in my DSM and Evo IX transmissions (Mitsu spec called for a 75W-85) so I just flipped the mix to create a slightly thinner fluid for use in the X.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

this combination of fluids didnt coagulate at all?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

this combination of fluids didnt coagulate at all?
No, the MTL and MT-90 mix very well together. Redline actually recommends mixing them to create the viscosity needed for each application and this has been done since the 90's back when DSM's were the thing
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

ok im going to try this out today, I am on my way to get the stuff, thanks for the info and review. I am going to try it in reverse order, fluids, shifter, then base bushings and see what helps the most.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

ok im going to try this out today, I am on my way to get the stuff, thanks for the info and review. I am going to try it in reverse order, fluids, shifter, then base bushings and see what helps the most.
Don't forget the underhood cable bushings and the shifter gate pivot bushing! I'd honestly do the base bushings and shifter at the same time since you're already in there, no need to tear about the console twice that way.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

I thought of that too but I want to know how each individual part affect the feel of the tranny.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

I thought of that too but I want to know how each individual part affect the feel of the tranny.
Sounds good, definitely report back with your results

Quick Reply: WORKS short-shifter and shifter base bushings installed (Evo X)