Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CMS Performance: Houston

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP do you have an AFR gauge? What were your A/F ratios when racing the Camaro?

I'd guess your issue is fuel, timing, or both, or meth kit. There are valid reasons to be very cautious when running a meth kit. I don't detect that level of caution in your post. Sorry to be so blunt. Does your kit have a flow detection safety?

I suggest running E85, if it is available in your area, and dumping the meth kit.

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Feb 19, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no offense but since you spent so much money... why not just take that 2 hour and 45 min drive to the shop and confront the guy...
phone calls and emails dont solve much when you have an issue such as that...
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

To be honest, it sucks that you are having issues, but it sounds like a majority are caused by you ignoring other issues...Why, if the car was running bad, would you decide to take it to the track to see how it did? You KNEW something was up, with it dieing and breaking up, why beat on it more?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:45 AM

I would love to drive down to Houston and confront them but umm my car doesn't have a motor. The car was running bad from day one, got the tune it so desperately needed, gotta new clutch and then it was running fine, besides the breakup. Took a good while to figure that out. Sorry I'm not as knowable as you folks. Then, the alternator went out, ok, small things, no big deal. After that was fixed, which btw was a ***** to do! Then, we finally figured out the breakup! Spark plugs! All was fine and dandy after that besides the dying while driving. I thought it was because the connectors on the battery were bad, which they are, haven't had the time to change those out but I did buy new ones...Anyways, day of the track, the car was running great! All day without dying, awesome! I decided I wanted to go to the track and halfway there, it started acting up and then we ended up at the side of the road for 3 to 4 hours. There was no way of knowing that the motor was gonna go so it's not my fault. When it lost power with the Camaro is when I said I'm not running this car and since we were already almost there, it was kinda pointless to turn around. I wasn't ignoring issues, I was trying to figure them out by asking different people questions. Nobody could figure it out. Again! Not my fault! Sorry I'm *****y, but the car was tricking me into thinking it was running fine. I guess it's true when people say to talk nicely to your car and not yell at it everytime something goes wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, but it seems like you ignored issues. You went ahead and just wrote off that the car was dying randomly, as "ok, lets go race it, its probably not a big deal!" If you dont know what your doing, stop trying and take it to someone. You should have had the car looked over by someone who knows what they are doing, or knows what they are looking at prior to buying the car.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:22 PM

Didn't ignore it. My boyfriend and his friends tried to figure it out and they know what their doing. Me on the other hand, don't. This was my first Evo. Lessons learned but if a company built a motor poorly and it blows on the next owner, it shouldn't be their fault. It's the people who put it together and there's probably more miles on that motor than what I was told. Everyone we took it to just said "hmm, strange?" Not alot of people are going to trust what a woman has to say. I've had plenty of mechanics just blow off problems that I notice.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:46 PM

CMS Shop Problems

@ byebyesubie, hey dont feel bad i had the same problems before with them too but waay worse. long story short was i was getting my Mitsu fixed by them to get the motor rebuit and turbo it. since i was close i would go to see the progress on the weekends the 1st few weeks went ok but every time after that it was like hey i dont have this tool or they'd just give me some excuse. i even had one of his customers say right infront of me oh he didnt get to it cus he was working on my car. Of course I dealt directly with LEO and he was there and got kinda mad at his other customer for saying it to me. Well i didnt wana take the car home in piecies so i was like look just work on it. well he said he would and i blew it off that he helped his other customer cus it was some important thing to get him running, i understand that. But he continued to give me excueses. after bumming rides to work for about 6 months i took my car back and he said becuase he did work to it. which was only take out the motor and have all the pieces in 4 boxes, along with giving me other peoples parts and saying certain items i didnt have on my car. he gave me a partial refund, after i complained that stuff was damaged, stolen and misplaced from my car. his excuse was are you sure. of course he said he takes pics of everything so that no one comes back and trys to screw him over after he screws them first. he couldn't provide any pics to say that i was incorrect as to what i knew i had on my car. after that he hated to see me. I say we need to get people that have been taken advantage of and file suit on the shop and post stuff up on BBB and other forums to help other people not get taken advantage of. If you know of anyone else that has had problems with this shop let me know so that i can get something going
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

The shop does sound shady,But you could have drove it easy and took it to a shop to get a thorough over look on the car to maybe Prevent the motor blowing..Could have been many things,Bad tune a failed meth kit who knows!!

First warning sign was when it broke up on boost,You switched the plugs and it " Seemed good " But then you said it was STILL dying when you let off the throttle...Then you decide to take it to the track to see what it could do with all those issues??? **** the track!! I would of drove it very easy with NO boost in till it was 100 percent on point..

Last edited by KaRboN; Jun 21, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OP, This is one of those times you need to chalk this up as a lesson learned. Lots of mistakes--mostly follow your gut not your emotions on your next purchase. Confronting the guy--well he is going to laugh and deny everything, you didnt get anything in writiing and the shop isnt responsible for his work and even if he is the owner--you didnt get it in writing--so its his word against yours--wont stand up in court. Walk away, count your blessings it isnt worse and move on. Next time, re-read this threat as to what not to do when purchasing a used HP car. Its loaded with info and all the signs where there screaming ---DON"T BUY THIS CAR.,.. Nobody else is responsible for the outcome here but you-- pull up those big girl panties and fess up. Sorry, its just the truth.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You say you got the car tuned after buying it - who did that? Was it the same shop? If not, I would imagine it would be difficult to prove it was their fault...

I think it's a bit harsh to blame the shop when you checked the car out, were happy with it at the time, changed a bunch of stuff, ignored issues and continued to thrash the car...I'm not saying they're blameless, but sounds like this could have been avoided. You DID ignore it - yes you had people look at it, but you kept driving it, hard, without fixing the issue!

And re: driving down 3 hours to confront them - you don't know anyone with a car they could lend you for a day? If it was my car I would gladly take a day off work and catch a bus there if I had to so I could confront the guys face to face. MIght not get anywhere, but I'd feel a lot better.

Edit: Did you have any contact with them after buying the car? i.e. when the clutch went/for the oil leak/any of that? From what you've written, it honestly sounds like you experienced problems, tried to fix them without actually doing so, kept abusing the car. Might have been a better idea to have made than 3 hour drive when the car was running, off boost, shown them the problem and got them to sort it. Live and learn, I guess,

Last edited by Rohit; Jun 21, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDCC_EVO
I had a similar situation with my built 99 GSX. Sadly unless you have paperwork or receipts to support your work or purchases there is not much you can do unless the people who did the work will admit fault and back there work. I gave up over 30K just to a shop for the motor to go out after 2 weeks of granny driving with the RPM limiter at only 5k for break in and I'll I got was wow how did this happen. And a lot of well it happens with aftermarket builds you never know for certain. Load of ****. But like they are saying, dont sit around on it go to the people at their shop and discuss the matter. If they still act shady then get a lawyer but be able to back yourself.
This drives me up the wall. I got the same response for a crank pulley breaking off, a triple carbon clutch not even lasting 500 miles and a blown tcase.

****in morons
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rohit
You say you got the car tuned after buying it - who did that? Was it the same shop? If not, I would imagine it would be difficult to prove it was their fault...

I think it's a bit harsh to blame the shop when you checked the car out, were happy with it at the time, changed a bunch of stuff, ignored issues and continued to thrash the car...I'm not saying they're blameless, but sounds like this could have been avoided. You DID ignore it - yes you had people look at it, but you kept driving it, hard, without fixing the issue!
this.

Who tuned it? If you say your boyfriend or friends then sorry but unless he's a tuning guru we've never heard of, esp. with meth......this might've been the problem.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

if he said he would back it 100% if you dont have it in writing and not notarized you can forget about all that.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../c/c4/Blah.jpg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:46 PM

Hello! Been awhile. Evo dynamics tuned it. The cars still down, got the motor rebuilt here in Austin after failed attempts to contact the shop. I'm just letting it go now. Going to fix up the car my way and sell the son of a *****. Now since its been sitting so long, we got the car towed and the brakes locked up so bad that it ate the rotors. Since it has no motor or tranny in it so the tow truck guy lifted it from the rear and hauled it to the house. What would cause the brakes to lock up like that? I'm stumped and so is the boyfriend. I do need to look into it further. Either the hubs or tie rod went out.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

If he didn't flat bed it then your TCase may be shot so add that to the list.

These stories seem to happen more and more on this forum. The older the get and cheaper they get, the more get bought by people who have no clue....they rag it out or realize the car is a pile, either fix it the right way and sell or fix it the cheap way and sell......and then the next owner is screwed and has to deal with it.

Rinse. Repeat.

Quick Reply: CMS Performance: Houston