Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CMS Performance: Houston

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMS Performance: Houston

I bought a "built" evo8 from a guy who owns or works at CMS performance in Houston. He claims it was a built motor with the AMS rebuild kit and it had 8600 miles on it, it was tuned and had other mods done to it as well, along with a horrible paint job. He told me if anything went wrong on the car, he would back me up 100%. Well first, there was an oil leak, found out that the RTV around the oil pan is cracked and the drain plug was so loose that I barely hit it and it came off. Then, the clutch went out so I had to trailer it to Dallas for a new clutch and got it retuned. 3 days later, I wanted to go to Cobb to show off my car at their meet, halfway there the battery light came on and come to find out the alternator went. I had to wait 5 days for the replacement part. After all that, I've only driven it twice, I started having ignition breakup when in boost and the engine would die right after the pull. I've been trying to contact the guy who sold me the car the whole time I've been trying to get it running long enough to enjoy it! Nothing yet. Thinking the breakup was bad spark plugs, I changed them out 2 days ago and everything went smoothly when I made a pull in it but it would still die once I let out. Saturday night, I decided to go to the track to see what it ran. On the way there, we tried to race our buddy with a stock '91 camaro...we were neck and neck and at 26lbs of boost and the car died 4 times on 35. Mind you that it has a Greddy t-67 kit with meth. Then the knocking started... About 10 miles down the road it felt like we ran over an animal cause the car just lifted and lost power. 2 miles down the road...the "built" motor blew. I'm still trying to get ahold of the guy... This company is shady and I would like to warn everyone to NOT go there if you love your cars! I'm out so much money because I trusted this man and his company.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

dam that sucks so bad..... well I hope this doesn't deter you and you sell this for a huge loss. When is MAP coming to TX? I know they would take care of you... Goes to show everyone that if you're interested in car you should pay a shop to inspect that vehicle before purchasing it.

GL....I hope you have some funds for a build.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

damn dude this really sucks.. goes to show theres a lot of sleezy ppl out there..

Good luck man i hope everything works out
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by byebyesubbie
I bought a "built" evo8 from a guy who owns or works at CMS performance in Houston. He claims it was a built motor with the AMS rebuild kit and it had 8600 miles on it, it was tuned and had other mods done to it as well, along with a horrible paint job. He told me if anything went wrong on the car, he would back me up 100%. ... I've been trying to contact the guy who sold me the car the whole time I've been trying to get it running long enough to enjoy it! Nothing yet. ... I'm out so much money because I trusted this man and his company.
I'm very sorry for your condition, but I just don't understand why the shop, CMS, is responsible:

1. We have no idea how the seller is associated with the shop.

2. Just ran a quick search. The shop, CMS, has its own board on the local automotive forum. It also actively posts on other, non-Evolution forums. Sure seems like those folks are easy to find. If you're not able to get in touch with the seller and the shop is right there, what do they have to say?

3. Did you not drive the car before the purchase? If so, why not?

4. Minor point, didn't you see the horrible paint job before you bought the car?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
I'm very sorry for your condition, but I just don't understand why the shop, CMS, is responsible:

1. We have no idea how the seller is associated with the shop.

2. Just ran a quick search. The shop, CMS, has its own board on the local automotive forum. It also actively posts on other, non-Evolution forums. Sure seems like those folks are easy to find. If you're not able to get in touch with the seller and the shop is right there, what do they have to say?

3. Did you not drive the car before the purchase? If so, why not?

4. Minor point, didn't you see the horrible paint job before you bought the car?
The shop s associated with it because they're the ones who tuned it and "built" the motor. They shop never responds to my calls or emails, I gave up after 3 weeks of trying to get a hold of them. When my boyfriend and I went to go look at the car, he drove it around and it looked and sounded fine! He never laid into it though, and only drove it around for a little bit. I had a feeling something major might go wrong but didn't think much of it since the seller who works or owns CMS told me he would back me up with anything that went wrong on that car. He told me he would give me dealer prices on anything!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Goto MDR perfomance in Houston, they will treat you right. They know what they are doing.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I took a look at CMS's website and it's not very impressive. I know you can't always judge a book by its cover (or a business by its website) but it's usually not a good sign when a company has a website and 75% of the pages on it are blank.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Anytime you buy something built in the future, have an independent mechanic check the car over. Unfortunately, these characters at this performance shop do not have character nor do they have a care in the world about the car since they have the funding. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done being the sale was a private transaction. I would make an appearance personally to the individual and shop to express your concerns over their lack of professionalism.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear your having so many issues.
Give JMS Racing a call if your looking for a shop to look at it, they are located in San Antonio Texas and just moved to a new facility/location:

(210) 310-1729
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by evolution2186
Anytime you buy something built in the future, have an independent mechanic check the car over. Unfortunately, these characters at this performance shop do not have character nor do they have a care in the world about the car since they have the funding. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done being the sale was a private transaction. I would make an appearance personally to the individual and shop to express your concerns over their lack of professionalism.
My boyfriend is a mechanic and he looked at the car and said the car was fine and sounded fine. There was no way of knowing that the motor was going to blow. If the motor only had that many miles on it then it shouldn't of blown that quickly, he said it was most likely their fault in the building process. I'm still trying to find a stock motor so I can actually drive the car. I want to go up to their shop and tell them in person but its kinda far since I'm in Austin. I knew I should've trusted my gut on this piece. Looks like I definitely have a project on my hands.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

I agree, these guys are good people. One of them actually contacted me when they saw on a forum that I was having some issues; as I'm a previous customer. They gave me some tips on what to look out for and things to do. Amazing they even remembered my screen name after almost a year. I was just looking for some place a little closer to my side of town but their customer service and genuine concern will have my easily lost self going back to MDR.

Originally Posted by grim~
Goto MDR perfomance in Houston, they will treat you right. They know what they are doing.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiradocc
Sorry to hear your having so many issues.
Give JMS Racing a call if your looking for a shop to look at it, they are located in San Antonio Texas and just moved to a new facility/location:

(210) 310-1729
Given that San Antonio is closer to you and I've heard good things about JMS, I would contact them too. If you venture up to Dallas, talk to Kevin at Evolution Dynamics...the only cars they work on are Evo's

Good luck and I hope you get the car running 100%
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

I am friends with the owners of MDR. They just moved to a bigger shop, you should check them out.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar situation with my built 99 GSX. Sadly unless you have paperwork or receipts to support your work or purchases there is not much you can do unless the people who did the work will admit fault and back there work. I gave up over 30K just to a shop for the motor to go out after 2 weeks of granny driving with the RPM limiter at only 5k for break in and I'll I got was wow how did this happen. And a lot of well it happens with aftermarket builds you never know for certain. Load of ****. But like they are saying, dont sit around on it go to the people at their shop and discuss the matter. If they still act shady then get a lawyer but be able to back yourself.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brainiac
Given that San Antonio is closer to you and I've heard good things about JMS, I would contact them too. If you venture up to Dallas, talk to Kevin at Evolution Dynamics...the only cars they work on are Evo's

Good luck and I hope you get the car running 100%
I'm very familiar with Kevin D. He did my clutch and when my boyfriend had his yellow evo, he worked on that. I'm just tight on money now, spent it all on this car and it's issues. I still wanna know why it just randomly died.

Quick Reply: CMS Performance: Houston