Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Competiton HD Street Disc clutch alt to HDSS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drove a car with this clutch yesterday, it is quite nice.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm shopping for a clutch again!

I have a comp clutch twin, car is not my daily driver, so It has seen few miles, and I havent launch it once! only street driving. Well now all of a sudden my clutch is slipping really bad, I tried adjusting the pedal, and still the same.

Seems clutch is toast, I will be taking it apart this week to see whats wrong. But I have lost faith in the comp twin, and street manners and noises were annoying. So I dont know what to do

Hp in my car should be around 450 I guess (virtual dyno and scan gauge calculation), So I can spend $250 on new disk for the twin, or maybe $500 for a complete rebuild kit, or should I look into a single disc clutch.

Here are good reviews for the comp stage 2 unsprung, or go back to ACT 6 puck (what I had before the twin, but suffered from high RPM lock out)

Thanks for your help. Im trying to decide so I can purchase what I need.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been running the unsprung for about 8 months now. Normal driving, some aggressive highway pulls, and have run COTA a couple times. Have not had any issues thus far. Clutch is holding up really well.

I'm only making about 350whp, and the clutch has maybe 10k miles since I put it in. Car is down now though. In the process of putting new turbo setup in.

It does make a little noise at idle. Slight rattle, which goes away once your in gear or have the clutch depressed. In traffic or with music at light volume, you cannot hear the noise.

All in all, I like this clutch.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:41 AM

Could you tell me what clutch that your running right now that you really like? The one you just said you hope to run a high 10 in? I'm tryin to figure out what clutch to order now and have abut the same specs as u. Thank u!have
Originally Posted by Lucas English
Competition Clutch new HD street disc clutch kit for Evo VIII-X Review.

ER new choice for the Avg Daily driver making up 500whp. Super smooth, holds the power, shifts smooth and a good price.

They have pucked options for cars passed 500whp or that will be doing alot of launching.

So over the last few years I have tried close to 20 different clutches in my Evo and have driven 100s of evos with different Clutch and trans combos.

While there is still no perfect clutch for our cars I feel for the avg street car this new clutch is the best option there is and its a good price $495 retail. Before this clutch my choice was a ACT HDSS, but with rising cost of this clutch and the fact the they don't have the love to try and keep making better products for our cars. I like the Exedy stg 1 HD for how it drives and shifts but it just wont hold the HP on a launch that the new HD Comp and the HDSS do.

I have been dealing with Dan at comp clutch for over a year now and I feel they really listen to what I have to say and try to make better products.

So about 3 weeks ago Dan sent this new clutch out for me to try which I was super happy about since my HDSS was locking out bad. It was so bad I could almost not even get it out of gear past 7k. This was due to trying to launch it to hard this summer at the drag strip. I Said I was only going to road race my car but I had to try out the HTA green at the drag strip but it would just not hold the torque of the ER 2.4

As of now I have launched this clutch a few times from what I can tell it will hold the same if not more the a HDSS and it really does seem to shift quite a bit better. Time will tell as it get some more heat into it if the lock out problems start up like they do in the HDSS.

My car now has a 4.0 Final drive so its really hard on clutches for launching. (makes 1st gear super tall) I find IX 1st gears and taller final drives are hard on clutches and cause more chatter. Stock final dirves and VIII 1st gears take off alot smoother and chatter alot less.

Right now my car makes just over 500hp and around 470tq.

Here is my closed course video of a quick test of the clutch Should have it out on the road course in the next few mons for the final test.

http://youtu.be/MQjet5SmYsA

Quick up date.

So as of now I am just over 10k on this clutch. Still smooth and no lock out.

Hit our local track last Friday was last minute so I did no have my harness's or door bar. 1st pass shifting slow and extra slip on the launch I ran 11.5 next pass with a better launch and faster shifting I ran 11.3. Then they kicked my out. I am pretty sure I would have ended up 11.0 or 10.9 if I could have kept racing.

Anyway last year on a HDSS the best I could run out of this same combo was 11.6 so I am supper happy. It was taking the launches pretty nice. Hope I get to go back with the door bar and belts later this month.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the CC Stage 3 and it finally gave out last night. Got 15k miles out of it. Launched the car at bandimere roughly 10 times on it with 385/420 power. Last 3k miles have been with 480/433 power and no launches. Not sure which clutch to go with next.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

This same clutch in my own car did not fair well with release at high rpm. Clutch would lock out of gear at high rpm for a second or so. Will be going back to Exedy twin for e85 hta71/2.3 block.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Passed the 20k mark on my clutch, still holding in hilly Missouri.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Any update on this? how long it lasts or if there is any newer model?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm nexus
This same clutch in my own car did not fair well with release at high rpm. Clutch would lock out of gear at high rpm for a second or so. Will be going back to Exedy twin for e85 hta71/2.3 block.
I had the same experience with it. I liked the driveability of it but the lockout makes it non-viable.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Just purchased the stage 2 / sprung package
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:23 AM

Comp clutch rock solid

Hi all, I am posting to show the durability and performance of the Comp stage 4 six puck sprung. I ran this clutch for 25k miles with lots of track launches (40+). I drive pretty aggressively and literally did not even know the clutch was worn out until one of the liners got wedged between the flywheel and pressure plate! This clutch took everything I threw at it until the bitter end. Thanks Comp Clutch for making amazing products 😊 Enjoy the carnage 😈

Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Just had mine installed last week and driving it for the break-in... initial impressions is the clutch pedal feels just like soft with maybe a tad hair stiffness . It drives similar but not exactly like stock clutch
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

What are the reviews for the cc stage 3 segmented?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2rbolag
What are the reviews for the cc stage 3 segmented?
There are a couple in here including mine, just read. I did not like it for high rpm shifting. For a daily its not bad.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsm nexus
There are a couple in here including mine, just read. I did not like it for high rpm shifting. For a daily its not bad.
dsm nexus...you have a PM

Quick Reply: Competiton HD Street Disc clutch alt to HDSS