Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Competiton HD Street Disc clutch alt to HDSS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Competiton HD Street Disc clutch alt to HDSS

Competition Clutch new HD street disc clutch kit for Evo VIII-X Review.

ER new choice for the Avg Daily driver making up 500whp. Super smooth, holds the power, shifts smooth and a good price.

They have pucked options for cars passed 500whp or that will be doing alot of launching.

So over the last few years I have tried close to 20 different clutches in my Evo and have driven 100s of evos with different Clutch and trans combos.

While there is still no perfect clutch for our cars I feel for the avg street car this new clutch is the best option there is and its a good price $495 retail. Before this clutch my choice was a ACT HDSS, but with rising cost of this clutch and the fact the they don't have the love to try and keep making better products for our cars. I like the Exedy stg 1 HD for how it drives and shifts but it just wont hold the HP on a launch that the new HD Comp and the HDSS do.

I have been dealing with Dan at comp clutch for over a year now and I feel they really listen to what I have to say and try to make better products.

So about 3 weeks ago Dan sent this new clutch out for me to try which I was super happy about since my HDSS was locking out bad. It was so bad I could almost not even get it out of gear past 7k. This was due to trying to launch it to hard this summer at the drag strip. I Said I was only going to road race my car but I had to try out the HTA green at the drag strip but it would just not hold the torque of the ER 2.4

As of now I have launched this clutch a few times from what I can tell it will hold the same if not more the a HDSS and it really does seem to shift quite a bit better. Time will tell as it get some more heat into it if the lock out problems start up like they do in the HDSS.

My car now has a 4.0 Final drive so its really hard on clutches for launching. (makes 1st gear super tall) I find IX 1st gears and taller final drives are hard on clutches and cause more chatter. Stock final dirves and VIII 1st gears take off alot smoother and chatter alot less.

Right now my car makes just over 500hp and around 470tq.

Here is my closed course video of a quick test of the clutch Should have it out on the road course in the next few mons for the final test.

http://youtu.be/MQjet5SmYsA

Quick up date.

So as of now I am just over 10k on this clutch. Still smooth and no lock out.

Hit our local track last Friday was last minute so I did no have my harness's or door bar. 1st pass shifting slow and extra slip on the launch I ran 11.5 next pass with a better launch and faster shifting I ran 11.3. Then they kicked my out. I am pretty sure I would have ended up 11.0 or 10.9 if I could have kept racing.

Anyway last year on a HDSS the best I could run out of this same combo was 11.6 so I am supper happy. It was taking the launches pretty nice. Hope I get to go back with the door bar and belts later this month.

Last edited by Lucas English; Mar 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank u... later down the road keep us posted in regards to how the clutch holds up to plenty of abuse and daily driving.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evoless
thank u... later down the road keep us posted in regards to how the clutch holds up to plenty of abuse and daily driving.
+1 Im gonna be doin a 2.3 build, and need somethin that can take the abuse Im gonna give it!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have a link on where to buy this clutch?

If it's available for purchase.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yes you can buy the clutch from us. Can give us a call tomorrow.

Will have it on our site tomorrow.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

I always thought that most the comp clutches were basically ACT just painted, is this not the case on this one?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Comp clutch have never been ACT. If company's are not building there own pressure plates then they will start life out as a stock pressure plate then modified. Stock Plates are Exedy. The original comp was a light pressure plate that was not much more then stock with a aggressive disc. Comp also has much better technology that gives same plate load with out the extreme feel that the ACT can have.

Until now there single plates would not hold the power the HDSS do.

I would say this is there 1st real single plate clutch that they have done. That can handle 400+hp EVO's with out to much trouble.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

So the new pressure plates don't look any different, they just hold better?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

let us know when is up on the website! I would really be interested in a clutch like this
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing more info/pics/details on this clutch!

I saw a small blurb on CCI's website about the new pressure plate, looks like it has a 3,000 lb. clamping force. I'm also guessing you can get it with any of their Evo discs (street, segmented Kevlar, etc.).

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 10, 2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Well all the Pressure plates look the same for the most part Exedy ACT Comp etc. Its the design with in the plate that matters. This plate has way more ***** then any other EVO pressure plate in the past.

So there is no confusion comp has been doing racing and high performance clutches for years. This just happens to be there best one yet in the single plate category.

These clutches are all comp design and built.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:04 PM

Lucas, Dan and I thank you very much for the opportunity to test our new product and provide the feedback. You guys are awesome!

I can't wait to test out the six puck as soon as my Evo gets out of the shop.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Your welcome happy to have some one who cares about making better products for our cars at reasonable prices.

We have them up on our site now ready to order.

http://www.shopenglishracing.com/Evo...lutch-Kit.html
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

im interested on this! pls keep us posted...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I'm the video which clutch is the car running the sprung or unsprung street disk?

Quick Reply: Competiton HD Street Disc clutch alt to HDSS