Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

EVO 8 Perrin Intake

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVO 8 Perrin Intake

I recently installed my Perrin intake.

first off, i ordered it off of lancershop.com which provided quick services and replies. took only a week to get to me. tracking information was quickly posted also.

opening the box, you will see that it is packaged very neatly. inside you will find 2 license plates frames, 2 stickers, installation directions, the turbo intake tube(which looks Great!) and filter with heat shield, and a little bag with hardware.

it took me about 1 hour to remove and install the new intake. i recommend you have socket drive extensions and all you will need is a 10mm and 12mm socket. also, i removed the uicp portion from the intake manifold to before the ic to make it easier to access the affected components (this would be a great time to replace those rubber couplers and clamps). installation was pretty straight forward. anyone can do it.

after the installation i reconnected to battery and started it to let it run idle for 10 minutes or so. then, i took it out for a spin. driving around normally without pushing it hard, it felt much smoother and less jerky in my opinion. plus, you can really hear the turbo spool (sounds like jet taking off). if you guys are fans of the PPPSSHHHHH!!! you will have it with this intake installed. then after 10 minutes of strret driving i took it on the highway. on the onramp i punched it hard 1st through 4th. power felt great and boost was a little bit higher. it did seem to pull just a bit harder ( i think the license plate frame helped with this part). i did a few 3rd and 4th gear drops to moniter boost as well. i noticed that boost spike was about the same as before 24-25 PSi but boost taper wasnt as bad. it used to taper to 20-21 at redline but it now only to 22. in 5th gear flooring, it spikes to 26-27 psi (due to higher loads) and holds very well right around 25 to about 5k rpm. i did not go pass 5k rpm.

in my opinion this intake is great and i would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a simple bolt on. i am sure it will become a great mod once enough mods requiring tuning comes along. i hope this helps someone!

Last edited by golgo13; Dec 3, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you get a tune with it? cause you changing the airflow of it.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

no tune yet, just installed ETS LICP also. waiting for cams, injectors and walbro before new tune. but it doesnt effect the the tune.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by misterevo8
no tune yet...... but it doesnt effect the the tune.
What doesn't?

You will need a new tune with an aftermarket intake.

I know you are getting a tune shortly, but I wanted to simply point out you are incorrect when saying it does not effect the tune (if you are referring to the intake).

I would suggest staying off boost until your evo is tuned for the recently installed/soon to be installed parts (seeing how you already installed the intake).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

afr's didnt really change at all at WOT or cruising. WOT held around 11.5 AFR's to redline
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually, one of the great things about Perrin is that they claim that you don't need a tune to run the product safely. I'm not saying that you won't benefit from it, but it's not necessary. I can't say the same for other mods installed.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

yeah before i only had the cbe, k&n panel and boost pill+tune. put the intake and licp on. i know i would benifit more with it tuned but it isnt worth it for the tune until i get the cams, walbro and injectors thats all.