Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Quartermaster 8 Leg RACE Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Quartermaster 8 Leg RACE Clutch

Another epic review
Review on the Quartermaster 8 Leg clutch I got from Mike over at Built4G63.

Quick review: It is the best clutch I have ever had. Holds power. Pros outweigh the cons. Not for whiners. I don't daily drive my car but I would not mind it on this clutch. This is for a true enthusiast going for true power, performance, and drive-ability. Truly a RACE CLUTCH. Slap your female passenger rider in the FACE with torque.

I got the clutch here: http://www.built4g63.com/Quartermast...e-Bearing.html

Long Review:
A little background for me on clutch kits: Since I have owned the Car, I have been through MANY clutch kits. Stock clutch barely lasted. I then went through 2 ACTs, then a Competition Clutch Twin, and then an Exedy Twin. Yes, I have been a little ****. I just cant get enough of the "T" (torque lol).

Now I am at the Quarter master clutch that has FINALLY fulfilled my needs.
Our test car is an 2003 Evolution 8 that is still being tuned on E85. However we are currently around 600+hp on a mustang dyno. The exhaust goes PEW PEW and stuff.

Our car is being built for the circuit and auto cross. So there is constant ON and OFF, constant Wide Open THROTTLE. Clutch goes IN AND OUT. MUCH ABUSE. SO RACE.

Driving Impressions
1- Start up - this clutch is nice and stiff. I like that feeling. I am not saying I want a 6-pack on my leg but I think THE LADIES LIKE IT. Skip the karate classes because you can chop cinder blocks with your left leg after driving this.
2- Push back feel - Its nice. Extremely responsive. I can almost feel the clutch discs become best friends as they meet eachother.
3- Reverse - Evo has always been a little notchy to get into reverse. There is no difference here. Same same.
4- Take off - Casual take offs will start to take a little bit of skill. If this is your first time, don't test drive it in front of your girlfriends, because you will be stalling worse than a 16 year old girl driving daddy's mustang. You have to feel for the sweet spots for the low RPM take offs. It is hard to explain, but you have to be harsh with it. Don't try to baby the take off. The clutch simply grabs harder than the clench of a dolphins blow hole.
5 - Casual drive - Switching gears is a little stiff but just right. Why? Because this clutch screams for more. I literally feel the clutch give me a -___- face when I drive casually. All gear changes are fine. All gear transitions in the casual drive are easy. 5th actually goes in smoother than before.
6 - Hard Launch - Punch it and go. I do not suggest you try to drink tea during this. You feel the torque. If you have a passenger, expect her to get the roller-coaster giggles and throw her panties in your face. Why? BECAUSE NOW YOUR A TORQUE DELIVERING BAD ***. I love the launch. I feel like a freight train. Ever do an AWD burnout? Well pucker-up that butthole because its about to happen. I do not recommend this. Axles are begging for mercy. And no one wants to poop their pants while driving.
7 - Wide Open Throttle - This is what the clutch was built for. Gear transition is great. Perhaps its the new Hydraulic Release bearing, but it really delivers. Felt great during quick shifts, especially with the short shifter. Car would chirp tires between high rev shifts. I fell in love with my car again. Passenger now needs a neck brace. Who cares, its a souvenir.

Other impressions
8 - Noise - This thing makes some weird noises. The bearing whines a little bit. There is disc chatter, especially during deceleration. But who cares. What are we, 12? The noises did not bother me. It did not bother my passengers. But I know some of you out there idolize Kim Kardashian. If you do, this is not the clutch for you
9 - Install - Install was actually even easier than the traditional Pull style clutch kits. Why? Because you do not have to deal with the HORRID ATTACHED THROW OUT BEARING. No more little ring matching, no more clutch fork stops. No more "OH NO THE THROW OUT BEARING DETACHED" FML - NO MORE NONSENSE. The TOB is hydraulic. Ohh but some people complain "YOU HAVE TO BLEED IT, OH IT NEEDS BRAKE FLUID BLA BLA" I am sorry, but if you don't even know how to bleed brakes, then you are driving the WRONG CAR. Name:  DSCN2375_zps522f296f.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  72.1 KB
10 - Quality - You get a quality product. Do not expect this clutch to last 1000000000k miles. Do not expect that with ANY clutch. We drive racing machines. Not mopeds. Longevity is sacrificed for performance. All depends on driving style. Obviously if you launch it constatnly like a whale giving birth, it wont last. But find a balance and you will get your moneys worth
11 - Price - Many places run a special. They knock the price down 5 or 10 percent. Do your research. This is a $1600 clutch that is worth every penny. Compare it to Exedy Twin or triple, and its the best bang for the buck. To make sure you get the RACE version, check the flywheel. The race version has a bevel in the flywheel edge.
12 - Rebuild - Many places have rebuild kits that are affordable. They run specials on them too. Any place can resurface the flywheel.

Overall - This clutch doesn't play any games. It gets right to business. I am not a guy that cares for cup holders or comfort. I put performance before anything. This clutch isn't impossible to drive. Its not what others make it seem. 100 people will love it and one person who cant handle his bowel movement will poop his pants and blame it on the clutch. This clutch delivers. And it delivers hard. So much torque delivery that it makes you want to punch a cat in the face.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the review. I will be going with this clutch now.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I've had this clutch since 2012, and it hasn't slipped yet on me. *knock on wood* I probably have damn near 50-70 passes at the drag strip and 5k miles on it. For what it was built for I really think its hard to beat. Like you said "easy" driving is very tricky with it so it can be a PITA to drive in traffic. But at the track it does awesome!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 01:04 PM

I have this same clutch and agree on everything except the hard pedal. Mine is softer than my ACT 6 puck.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

I have the race and love it. Took 10 minutes to find my sweet spot. This clutch drives fine but don't sleep she will bite lol. I smoked my twin had 2 triples and this better then all of them.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My plans all along have been to go with this clutch. But now after reading FX's review it just made me want it that much more

Thanks for the review FX!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I am glad I helped you all with your decisions! Hopefully you are all as happy with it as I am!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome review! I hope this clutch does exactly as you describe
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMdynamic
My plans all along have been to go with this clutch. But now after reading FX's review it just made me want it that much more

Thanks for the review FX!
my buddy has had this clutch on his evo for a few years, and i've driven it probably 15 times. can it be street driven? - sure. is it easy? - hell no. every engagement has to be spot-on. another buddy of mine has a exedy triple, and its a piece cake to modulate compared to the QM 8-leg. the QM is tolerable to use out in a smaller town that has almost no hills which where he happens to live. in a bigger town that has lots of traffic and/or hills, it would suck as a daily driver and perhaps even as a weekend car. however, this clutch launches well, lasts a long time, and is very reasonably priced.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This review had me cracking up this morning thanks for the laugh, i guess if i decide to ever upgrade from my triple ill consider this clutch lol.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 07:21 PM

This is by far the best clutch review on the forum
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S_manRR9
This is by far the best clutch review on the forum
THANKS!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
awesome review. I agree with just about everything. I came from 2 Exedy Twin HD setups. I liked them but wanted to try this one out. Compared to the Exedy Twin HD, this one is a bit more tricky for casual first gear starts. It took a few drives to get used to, and needed a bit more revving than the Exedy. The disc chatter when you clutch in, is about to normal to be expected. I have about 1500 miles on mine and it still squeals upon initial take up. Not a deal breaker, but pretty annoying as a daily driver. The NVH is more apparent in this setup, and very noticeable on off-throttle decal/engine breaking. You will have some whining/wurring coming from up front. All that aside, it does exactly what its built to do. HOLD POWER and put a big grin on your face when you launch it and are rifling through the gears. The race setup revs and drops revs quite nicely. It's not for the picky or faint of heart, and certainly overkill for most bolt on affairs as I think it holds something like 700ft lbs of torque. Happy motoring!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

You are correct Jersey Dino. I am still on the same clutch and no issues.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Great review

Thanks for the great review. I was debating on this clutch, but after reading this, I will definitely get it. I'm getting the race one and my main question is, do I need a dog box to fully enjoy this clutch? Is my buswacker trans strong enough to handle the abuse I am about to give it?

Quick Reply: Quartermaster 8 Leg RACE Clutch