Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

ASNU1500 injector - best injector I've tried to-date

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
ASNU1500 injector - best injector I've tried to-date

If you aren't all aware, ASNU is a company in the UK that has been producing high flow injectors for a number of years. In recent years, they have come up with a diffuser plate design that substantially widens the fuel spray pattern and is advertized to improve atomization of the fuel droplet. Since buying my Evo, I've run a wide range of injectors that include the FIC1050 (modified low-Z Delphi), ID1000 (modified Bosch EV14), FIC1100 (modified Bosch EV14), FIC1450 (modified low-Z Delphi Rochester), FIC2150 (unmodified Bosch NGI), and now I'm running the ASNU1500 that is based on the FIC/ASNU1650 injector (custom Bosch unique to FIC and ASNU and not the same as ID's custom high flow offerings) but with an added diffuser plate to improve the spray pattern and atomization. Getting right to the point, the ASNU1500s are the best injector I've ever run by a clear margin. Details are as follows:
  • Substantially improved offboost drivability. Offboost power and responsiveness are both clearly better than all previous injectors, and smoothness is at least as good. The next closest in feel was FIC1100s running at 58 psi base pressure (higher base pressure generally improves the spray pattern). After that was a tie between FIC1100s and FIC2150s both at 43.5 psi base pressure.
  • Idle is unbelievably smooth and consistent. Even at an 850 rpm idle, its impossible to tell that I have a built motor with all the add-ons and GSC R2 cams. Having an Evo 9 helps a lot here (MIVEC), but the injectors are also playing a substantial role. I said the same thing about the 2150s in my writeup about tuning those injectors, but the ASNU1500s are a step beyond.
  • Consistency of flow rate. In the few weeks that I've been using them after finishing the dial-in session, I've been impressed with how tight the trims have remained when driving in 50-90F weather on surface streets, the freeway, and up/down hills. My idle trim has ranged from -0.6% to +0.8% while the cruise trim has ranged from -0.6% to +2.6%.
  • Relatively easy to get dialed-in. Because these injectors spend most of their time in the near-linear and linear regime of flow rate vs requested pulsewidth when running on E85, it was pretty easy to dial in the pulsewidth linearization curve. Idle on E85 is conveniently in the near-linear range which also makes tuning easier. For 6-cylinder motors or 4-cylinder motors on gasoline, idle will be in the strongly nonlinear regime though, so some additional attention to the dial-in will be required in those situations.

I think a lot of people hope that modern injectors can improve WOT power. The bench racing concept is that a finer fuel spray mist makes for better atomization and more complete combustion (so better use of the available air that can be stuffed in the cylinders). It could be argued that more consistent injector response could enable more power as well. While newer injectors are more consistent in their response, the unfortunate reality is that bigger injectors often are only able to achieve higher flow rates by producing a more concentrated stream with less atomization. Certainly every injector that I ran prior to the ASNU1500 did not produce more power than the injector before it.

The story is different for the ASNU1500s though. They are definitely more responsive, and this gives the distinct impression of more power, but unfortunately, I did not dyno before and after the ASNU1500 install, so I can't comment definitively on whether they produce more power. What I can say is that this is the best that my Evo has ever felt getting into boost. Transient response feels awesome, and while it can be viewed as incidental, my best virtual dyno run ever was achieved after installing these injectors. Its also noteworthy that Aaron at English Racing did measure a clear gain in power in a before/after dyno session where he installed a set of FIC1050SP injectors that also utilize the ASNU diffuser plate. The thread is somewhere here on EvoM.

For those wondering what power level these injectors can support, my estimate for E85 is 645 whp at 93-95% IDC and 43.5 psi base pressure (on a 4-cylinder motor). Bumping base pressure to 50 psi would make these good for 690 whp (as long a the fuel system can maintain flow at that base pressure). On gasoline, I think they can support more power than anyone would care to try to make on that fuel.

As with other injectors I've used in the past few years (FIC1450s and FIC2150s), FIC graciously supplied me with detailed flow rate data that I used to generate a pulsewidth linearization correction curve that is needed by the Evo ECU to produce the best offboost drivability. The pulsewidth linearization data along with my injector scaling and latency values that were all fine-tuned on the street are shown below for E85. These values should be considered a matched set of data that serve as a starting point for these injectors, but I suspect that because of what tables I use to tune my Evo, most people will need to use a smaller injector scaling value, probably something closer to 900 cc/min. As I mentioned in my FIC2150 tuning thread, its also important to make sure that your MAF scaling table or SD VE table is properly tuned to attain best drivability. For people running pump gas, try starting with an injector scaling of 1350 cc/min while leaving everything else the same.

Attached Thumbnails ASNU1500 injector - best injector I've tried to-date-asnu1500-pw-linearization-table-evo-8-9.png  
Attached Images  

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 28, 2016 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrfred:
ace33joe (Feb 19, 2017), Steveevo9 (Nov 29, 2017)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good read, thanks for the info Mychailo!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does one go to get these, I looked on their USA site and they only have up to 1100c injectors
Old Apr 28, 2016, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Fuel Injector Clinic is the current sole distributor/partner under asnuusa.com. I am their first known customer to use them on an Evo in the USA, and they don't yet have the ASNU1500s listed on their site for the Evo. If you want a set, give them a call.

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 28, 2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
What is the pricing?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
What is the pricing?
The 1500s for the Evo are now up on the asnuusa website:

http://asnuusa.com/mitsubishi/dsm-evo-1-9

Currently $900/set.
Old May 2, 2016, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Quick update. I've now gone through two tanks of fuel in daily driving mode, and I've gone from barely 160 miles per tank (12.2 gallons) to 172 miles per tank, so I picked up 1 mpg or 7.5% increase in fuel economy.
Old May 2, 2016, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Interesting....sub'd. I remember seeing the ID owner ripping on ANSU (along with FIC of course) a few years ago. Interesting to see real world experience.
Old May 3, 2016, 06:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deeman101
Interesting....sub'd. I remember seeing the ID owner ripping on ANSU (along with FIC of course) a few years ago. Interesting to see real world experience.
Real world experience on the forums has really helped with improving signal to noise ratio. These injectors beat all previous, but perhaps the best assessment of the diffuser plate technology would be ASNU1500 vs FIC1650 because they are the same modern injector except for the diffuser plate on the 1500 that produces a wider mist spray pattern vs the more pencil-like flow of the 1650s (and other big high-Z injectors). That comparison may be coming.
Old May 4, 2016, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Real world experience on the forums has really helped with improving signal to noise ratio. These injectors beat all previous, but perhaps the best assessment of the diffuser plate technology would be ASNU1500 vs FIC1650 because they are the same modern injector except for the diffuser plate on the 1500 that produces a wider mist spray pattern vs the more pencil-like flow of the 1650s (and other big high-Z injectors). That comparison may be coming.
I have 1650hi-z's, and if I push for mileage I can average 13-14 city/freeway, or 18 all freeway cruising at 75, on E85.

I almost never do that though, so "normal" driving I get about 11, and 85ish on the freeway nets about 15-16 with lots of passing...lol
Old May 4, 2016, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I have 1650hi-z's, and if I push for mileage I can average 13-14 city/freeway, or 18 all freeway cruising at 75, on E85.

I almost never do that though, so "normal" driving I get about 11, and 85ish on the freeway nets about 15-16 with lots of passing...lol
Yeah, my mileage has varied a lot over the years. When I was living in the Tricities where there is not so much traffic, the terrain is very flat, E85 was 75% ethanol, and I was on stock cams, I was getting 16.4 mpg city/highway mix very consistently. Moving to Portland where its more hilly, more traffic, and 82% ethanol brought it down to maybe 15.5. Drop-in build brought it down a little more, S2s brought it down a little more, R2s a bit more...
Old May 27, 2016, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work! Seems very interesting injectors.
Im going to buy a set of ASNU 1050cc.
Is possibile to have a linearization table for them ?
Old May 28, 2016, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvilEvolution8
Nice work! Seems very interesting injectors.
Im going to buy a set of ASNU 1050cc.
Is possibile to have a linearization table for them ?
My understanding is the ASNU1050sp is based on the FIC1100 injector, so the PW linearization and latency data I posted for the FIC1100 should be very close.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
My understanding is the ASNU1050sp is based on the FIC1100 injector, so the PW linearization and latency data I posted for the FIC1100 should be very close.
Thanks a lot!!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 04:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeh I was having a chat with Phil about getting the diffuser plate added to my 1650's but i think it would just be easier to get the new ones..

my local servo has decided to bump up the price of E85 from 120 c/L to 130 c/L, whilst 98RON ranges from about 129c/L - 155c/L... this is putting E85 into the "too much $$$ basket"..

so, i've recently started running pump again, but the FIC1650's are not so great under 1.5ms PW...

how are you finding low PW applications? have you tried pump yet?

I also find (really only anecdotal evidence), that I get more "black bar syndrome" with the 1650's that the 2150's.. So i reckon the atomisation isn't great low down...

i was going to drop my 2150's back in this weekend and see whats up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ASNU1500 injector - best injector I've tried to-date