Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMS Tuning? Too good for Evo's now?

Old Jul 25, 2016, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMS Tuning? Too good for Evo's now?

Not sure what's going on with them. They used to be the go to shop for work / tuning around the Chicagoland area. I've tried contacting them twice now this summer with no response at all about getting some work and a retune done.

Anyone know what's going on? Are they too 'good' for the EVO / STI commuity now that they have started working on GTR's?

I worked with another shop around here 2 summers ago (not mentioning a name right now) but was not real happy with the tune and service after I had some issues with it. Hesitant to go back to them, but otherwise I'm still needing some work and a retune done this summer.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've made serious inquires about evo work there as well. One last year, one more recent. No replies. Perhaps it's best to stop in and get the direct answer. (Let me know I'm over seas so I have to email ).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had two friends who blew up their GT-R's over the weekend. AMS refused to work on them since another shop had touched the car(s).

Are they under new ownership?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
They are not under new ownership. They have said in the past that they will refuse to work on cars that have been worked on by other shops. They don't want to fix other's shotty work and I don't blame them. It is time consuming to go over work that is half assed and causes all sorts of problems trying to stay on schedule.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by acid7711
Not sure what's going on with them. They used to be the go to shop for work / tuning around the Chicagoland area. I've tried contacting them twice now this summer with no response at all about getting some work and a retune done.

Anyone know what's going on? Are they too 'good' for the EVO / STI commuity now that they have started working on GTR's?

I worked with another shop around here 2 summers ago (not mentioning a name right now) but was not real happy with the tune and service after I had some issues with it. Hesitant to go back to them, but otherwise I'm still needing some work and a retune done this summer.
plenty of evo-focused shops in your region, including boostin and strictly modified. would go to them over AMS any day
Old Jul 27, 2016, 07:47 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've given up on AMS. I only was interested because I had heard good things. In the end, it has nothing to do with them wanting or not wanting to work on another vehicle. Their reputation in several communities is going down the crapper simply because they can't be bothered to respond to inquiries or give customers the time of day. Bad business practice imo. World of mouth makes or breaks a business, work and other reputation aside. Anyyyyyways.

Originally Posted by kyoo
plenty of evo-focused shops in your region, including boostin and strictly modified. would go to them over AMS any day
I was trying to keep my past experiences out of this, but I have tried to contact Boostin Performance 2 times already now, again NO reply. This comes after Devin tuned my car 2 Summers ago. Over all, they were a nice enough team, and I'm not trying to bash them, but one of my concerns I went in with was that it had a rough idle and a random hot-start issue. I contacted him right after the tune because these issues were not resolved (even if I was happy with the tune and other work they did), and his reply was 'I did not notice any of these issues while tuning your car". And, well... that was it. He wanted me to come back in, and charge more time/labor to diagnose what I brought the car in to fix originally.

I'm not trying to bash him, like I said, overall it was a pleasant experience. I wasn't a 'trouble customer' either, and I've heard numerous good reports about the shop, which, is why I decided to give them another shot and I emailed him again this year. I don't drive this car but only a few times during the Summer for the most part, so it's not been a huge deal, but, in the end the issues weren't resolved to my liking on a nearly stock vehicle. In the end, I guess I was hoping that Boostin would have stepped up and said 'look, we know you weren't happy the last time, yet you're giving us another shot. Let's make it right!!' But.... I've heard nothing from them, and .... I don't expect I will either. Kinda sad really. However, the last experience kind of left a sour taste in my mouth, and the lack of response from their team isn't helping. I was never mean, rude, disrespectful, demanding, etc. I don't get it.

-----

Anyways, I had never heard of Strictly Modified before. I did some searching on shops, and I had noticed their name pop-up on here. I have been in contact with Nelson (I have to say I've been very impressed so far with their communication and customer service), and he's been very willing to work with me, and very quick to respond. Hopefully I'll be receiving estimates here soon, I very well may end up choosing them to do the work and retune this go-round.

My only apprehension is, I can't seem to find a lot of reviews about their tune/work as of recent. I've found some very good reviews and 2-semi scary ones, but they are from several years ago.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
if you're just looking for a tune, I have always (for 10 years now) e-tuned my cars, tscompusa or English racing
Old Jul 27, 2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo
if you're just looking for a tune, I have always (for 10 years now) e-tuned my cars, tscompusa or English racing
No, I need some work done. Like I said, there are some idle/hot start issues. I did the whole e-tune thing with my previous vehicle (not an Evo). I was not happy with the results. It never idled right, the tune itself was very conservative and overall just laggy/sluggish, etc. I'm not putting down the remote-tuners on here, as I've heard nothing but positive reviews from them, but.... I'm only interested in a reputable and trustworthy shop who truly knows these vehicles inside and out to iron out the couple of issues I'm having, and do the work I'm looking for with a final re-tune afterward.

I did contemplate going with tscompusa, simply because I was dead set on going with Speed Density for so long. I even went as far as setting the vehicle up for it. Boostin talked me out of going with Speed Density, and I dunknow. I wanted to go with it to get the car nice and smooth. Like I said, I only drive this car on the nicest of summer days. I just want to enjoy the vehicle and have it start, idle, and drive smoothly and be safe. There are so many people who have conflicting views/information on speed density vs maf.

My biggest concern with the e-tune thing, is the idle, random hot start, and it wanting to die with AC on issues still not being resolved. Beyond that, I still need a couple of other things done to the car that I simply just don't trust myself to do, and truth be told, while I have a buddy with a lift who's more than capable of helping do the work I want done, then the car is going to be stuck there because it would likely no longer be drivable without some kind of a base-tune at least. All around, I think it's just better to find a trustworthy and reputable shop to take car of these last few issues on it.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
We'll be in the area for an event near Indy weekend after next (6/7). If you need the car towed back to have work done we can arrange the transport in our enclosed car hauler.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by acid7711
Thanks guys. Yeah, I've given up on AMS. I only was interested because I had heard good things. In the end, it has nothing to do with them wanting or not wanting to work on another vehicle. Their reputation in several communities is going down the crapper simply because they can't be bothered to respond to inquiries or give customers the time of day. Bad business practice imo. World of mouth makes or breaks a business, work and other reputation aside. Anyyyyyways.

I was trying to keep my past experiences out of this, but I have tried to contact Boostin Performance 2 times already now, again NO reply. This comes after Devin tuned my car 2 Summers ago. Over all, they were a nice enough team, and I'm not trying to bash them, but one of my concerns I went in with was that it had a rough idle and a random hot-start issue. I contacted him right after the tune because these issues were not resolved (even if I was happy with the tune and other work they did), and his reply was 'I did not notice any of these issues while tuning your car". And, well... that was it. He wanted me to come back in, and charge more time/labor to diagnose what I brought the car in to fix originally.

I'm not trying to bash him, like I said, overall it was a pleasant experience. I wasn't a 'trouble customer' either, and I've heard numerous good reports about the shop, which, is why I decided to give them another shot and I emailed him again this year. I don't drive this car but only a few times during the Summer for the most part, so it's not been a huge deal, but, in the end the issues weren't resolved to my liking on a nearly stock vehicle. In the end, I guess I was hoping that Boostin would have stepped up and said 'look, we know you weren't happy the last time, yet you're giving us another shot. Let's make it right!!' But.... I've heard nothing from them, and .... I don't expect I will either. Kinda sad really. However, the last experience kind of left a sour taste in my mouth, and the lack of response from their team isn't helping. I was never mean, rude, disrespectful, demanding, etc. I don't get it.

Anyways, I had never heard of Strictly Modified before. I did some searching on shops, and I had noticed their name pop-up on here. I have been in contact with Nelson (I have to say I've been very impressed so far with their communication and customer service), and he's been very willing to work with me, and very quick to respond. Hopefully I'll be receiving estimates here soon, I very well may end up choosing them to do the work and retune this go-round.

My only apprehension is, I can't seem to find a lot of reviews about their tune/work as of recent. I've found some very good reviews and 2-semi scary ones, but they are from several years ago.
We apologize that somehow we missed you. We do check voicemail and emails daily, and respond back to everyone as soon as possible.
If there is ever an issue, we hope our customer's know to contact and let us know. Anyone that has we have always worked with. Its very hard to diagnose a car over emails, so that is why we request to bring the car to the shop so that we can duplicate the issue the customer is experiencing. Trying to diagnose a problem via email can be very time consuming and challenging as it can take weeks or months of emailing back and forth to resolve, when with a quick trip to the shop, we can have it resolved that day. I don't know why you are assuming that you'd be charged again, as we warranty our workmanship and would take care of it if it has something to do with the work we performed during the appointment. But without seeing your car to diagnose and resolve the issue you had, since it wasn't something that occurred while working on your car here at the shop, we can't pinpoint the possible repairs.

We have excellent customer service, and always work with our customer's to ensure their satisfaction.
Shoot us over an email, or call. If we are unable to respond at that time, please be sure to leave your contact information.

Last edited by Boostin Perform; Aug 3, 2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Boostin Perform
We apologize that somehow we missed you. We do check voicemail and emails daily, and respond back to everyone as soon as possible.

Shoot us over an email, or call. If we are unable to respond at that time, please be sure to leave your contact information.
It happens. I'm surprised you guys found this post. In either case, I've since been in contact with you via email. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Boostin Perform (Jul 28, 2016)