Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Pics of my SMC Alky install, need help/advice...look inside!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics of my SMC Alky install, need help/advice...look inside!!

I got my alky kit from Ultimate CC's group buy. I just wanted to thank him for the great service.

I decided to attempt the install myself since it looks fairly easy and wanted to show you experienced guys what I have done so far. I'm creating this thread in hopes of getting some advice suggestions as to what I can do better.

For the picture above This is how I will mount the bottle. I used a magic marker to determine my best drilling spot so that I can run some bolts thru to secure the bottle to the frame.

for the picture above, same deal here...This is how everything should look once its finally bolted down. With this method there shouldnt be any bulges at all.

Pic#1

for the picture above and the two that follow what do you guys think is the best mounting location for the controller? pic #1,2,3?? I'm leaning towards #1 since I can glance down and see the lights pretty easily.

Pic#2

Pic#3

Moving right along, this is how I ran the wires for the control unit.

next...

final....

Once everything gets finalized I will zip tie whatever needs to be zip tied in order to have the nice, stealthy, clean install.
With the wires I ran thru the cabin, I was able to hide everything properly...

Thanks for reading, please let the comments and suggestions roll in...
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since you dont have the SSL package, and i cant tell if you have a moonroof, see if you could put the controller in the small pocket above the mirror. steath, easy to read and out of the way of your legs. if not, put it in the small change holder on the left side of the steering column.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badhabit90
since you dont have the SSL package, and i cant tell if you have a moonroof, see if you could put the controller in the small pocket above the mirror. steath, easy to read and out of the way of your legs. if not, put it in the small change holder on the left side of the steering column.

I think putting the controller where my rear view mirror is would take up too much space. I dont know if I have enough wiring for that plus, it'll have to be mounted sideways.

Too bad they didnt make the controller shorter and narrower.

For the 05's the change holder is non-existant....

I think I'll just velcro it to the lower dash panel as depicted by picture #1.... at least when I' driving I can glance down a bit and see all the lights, and besides it shouldnt really get in the way of my right leg when I'm driving.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

I also wanted to ask where can I connect the clear tubing for the boost pressure source??

also, can i just stick the fuse into the spot thats meant for the front wipers?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at the post I made, there are some pictures inside. You need to turn that tank 180 degrees:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=172567

Your tank is sitting to high. you need to "sink" that tank on the compartment. There is a black plastic vent on the fender at the bumpers high, you need to push that balck plastic vent in so that the tank can slide in deeper.

The tanl must be turn the other way around. One you turn the pump around the holes in the tank will line up flush with a wall a couple of inghes away from the fender.

You want your pump to be visible.

Just because the you order the SMC kit it really does not mean it is made for the EVO, you have to modify a little bit.

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Dec 6, 2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Look at the post I made, there are some pictures inside. You need to turn that tank 180 degrees:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=172567
okay i'm gonna try that...

btw does the tank move? how is it secured?

I originally wanted to install my controller the way you have it but cant seem to get it in that tight spot
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

The tank actually fits in perfectly by pressure, the tank has the same width as the compartment, But I used a couple of self locking screws using the existing holes in the tank. Also you should use the self taping screws for the ground.

The way you were gointg to install the tank will NOT give you easy access for filling up. Needless to say that you have absolutely no view of the pump.

Undo the pump from the clamps on the tank. Turn the tank 180 degrees and position the pump horizontally.

Right now you are a bit confuse because you think the pump has to go the way you received, not necesarily, undo the pump from the hose, get a one inche fuel line and you can reposition the pump anywhere you want.

The way you receive this kits it makes you think it only goes one way.

If you need more clarifications I can take a closer pics.

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Dec 6, 2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

The tank actually fits in perfectly by pressure, the tank has the same width as the compartment, But I used a couple of self locking screws using the existing holes in the tank. Also you should use the self taping screws for the ground.

The way you were gointg to install the tank will NOT give you easy access for filling up. Needless to say that you have absolutely no view of the pump.

Undo the pump from the clamps on the tank. Turn the tank 180 degrees and position the pump horizontally.

Right now you are a bit confuse because you think the pump has to go the way you received, not necesarily, undo the pump from the hose, get a one inche fuel line and you can reposition the pump anywhere you want.

The way you receive this kits it makes you think it only goes one way.

If you need more clarifications I can take a closer pics.

I pushed that black thing out of the way and it allows me to let the tank sit lower so that refills can be done more easily. I'm kinda lazy to undo the pump and hoses....

why does the pump need to be visible? I mean, does it run at high temps? Is it sensitive to vibration? i mean when its operating I should be able to hear it anyway.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Put the controller inside the coin box just above your left knee. It fits perfectly in it, and the box will stay open so you can verify what's happening. It's a much better, cleaner option than anything you've considered thus far.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my SMC Alky install, need help/advice...look inside!!-imgp1060.jpg  

Last edited by Ted B; Dec 6, 2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Put the controller on top of your steering wheel ... Since you constantly look @ your speedometer/tach you will definitly see the controller ';D
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I put my controller on top of the steering collumn so i can see it at all times. You can tee into the line for your boost gauge.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

The MR does not come with the coin box , instead it has a box wich holds the dash dimmer rotating switch.

As per the pump, yes, you don't have to hide it but at least you know if soemthing goes bad you have a eye sight of it.

I am glad you found out that the tank goes better the way i told you, it is so much easier to refill, it is easier to install and it goes stealthier.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The MR does not come with the coin box , instead it has a box wich holds the dash dimmer rotating switch.
Duly noted, but I don't see anything that indicates his car to be an MR.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Put the controller inside the coin box just above your left knee. It fits perfectly in it, and the box will stay open so you can verify what's happening. It's a much better, cleaner option than anything you've considered thus far.
+1 This is where Switzer Performance mounted my controller, and you can hide it from would-be thieves! Also nice to go the stealth route when someone checks out the car for a nice race at the track!
Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

As per the pump, yes, you don't have to hide it but at least you know if soemthing goes bad you have a eye sight of it.

I am glad you found out that the tank goes better the way i told you, it is so much easier to refill, it is easier to install and it goes stealthier.

I'm gonna install the tank my original way, but lower (since I pushed that black trap door out) so that I can refill it easily.

as for the controller someone suggested the steering colum, but i'm not gonna do that, I already got too many things near my steering column already.....

Quick Reply: Pics of my SMC Alky install, need help/advice...look inside!!