Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Anyone using the Aquamist HSF-5?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone using the Aquamist HSF-5?

I've almost got myself talked into the Aquamist HSF-5. Is anyone actually using this injection system? I'd love to hear some real user feedback.

Does anyone besides me think that the HFS-5 "system" is outrageously expensive? Particularly when you consider that it is generic (meaning not EVO specific), does not come with a meth tank, does not come with any instructions, does not come with a solenoid so the failsafe can be used on a typical EVO, and is manufactured across the ocean on some far off island.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have the HSF-5 working on my car, injecting straight water. faultless.

as for difficulty of instillation, I will say it is much easier than the aquamist unit it replaces.
nice unit, nice parts, the dds3 wiring box is a little small but is simple and clear.
the overall impression is one of quality and professionalism.

have mine working with my electronic boost controller.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I've been on this forum over six months and you are the first person I've run across who is injecting water only. Please tell us more. Why water only? Why no meth? What are your objectives? How does water inj help you achieve them? What is your AFR? Who tunes your car? Street, track, strip? Why spend so much money on a system to only inject water? And any other answers you care to add...

Thanks much!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

a lot of the injectors started out with water, I just never moved on, a veritable missing link in the evolution world.

cooler charge, 12.4 +or-, maybe a bit of timing. road course track car. basically I'm using water instead of fuel to cool the cylinder.

After an initial tune on a hydra I did most of the tuning, now ecuflashing
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you injecting the water right before the TB like meth/alky or right near the turbo/ic?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no doubt about it; the HFS-5 is more expensive than any of its competitor’s products. Additionally, it is also more difficult to install. I think these are the only two negatives about the system. Sure it would be nice if it came with a tank but even kits like the snow performance kit comes with a very tiny tank that you will almost definitely replace with something else. Furthermore the Flambeau tanks that aquamist recommends are very high quality and can handle 100% meth.

In theory the HFS-5 should be much more easy to tune than any other kit on the market as it mirrors your fuel injector and should require less tuning to get the setup dialed in.

It would be nice to see the kit come with a solenoid that can be used for a failsafe, but I can see why Aquamist did not supply one. Many people are running standalone engine management and do not require a failsafe solenoid, they can simply hook up the HFS-5 output to their EMS and have it switch maps. Also people all run different setups for controlling boost and may require different solenoids. It is likely that is Aquamist supplied a solenoid it would only add to the cost and be used by only some people and not all.

Another thing to consider is this customer service that Richard and Jack(Username aquamist) provide. My questions are almost always answered within a few hours and in much more detail then I could have imagined. There is not a single question that one of these guys have been unable to field. I have dealt with Snow Performance in the past, and their customer service was also pretty good but there is a disconnect between customer service and the people who design their systems. This means that questions are often answered without enough detail.

Yet another factor is the infinite configurability of the HFS-5. This system is by far the most modular water injection system on the market. It can be set up in so many different ways that I believe this system will easily outlast my current Evo and come with me into whatever car I buy next. It seems that Aquamist thought of everything when they designed this system as I have never seen so many options and adjustment possibilities on water injection system elsewhere.

Overall I would say that I agree with you, the kits are expensive, and it would be nice if they came with a tank and a solenoid at the same price. But to compare an HFS-5 to almost any competitor’s product is nearly impossible as the HFS-5 is superior in every way. I don’t think there is a single feature on any kit of any competitor that is superior to the HFS-5, in fact if anyone knows of one please inform me.

Hope that helps.

By the way, my install is pretty much done I am just waiting on getting my trans back from the shop and than I can give you some real world performance data.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Hello Jim

Hopefully you will find the below info useful as well as whats already been posted. Also, I have lots of saved and bookmarked info and can usually dig up more obscure info not easily found through web searches if requested.

Heres a link to what I think is some good info on water and methanol.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308693

You can tie above in with reading the document posted in this link
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322745

IMO theres no better explanation of why water injection then the above document. Its not a short or an easy read for everyone but if you like technical stuff and can get through stuff like this so as to be better informed, then do not pass this up. If you have a hard time with reading material like this then skim through it.......you will still get some good info from it.

Heres two threads that have some Q&A on the HFS-5
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324856
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334057

This thread is about Jet nozzle selection and has some good info.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306782

This thread has some info on the DDS3......very important component of ALL Aquamist HFS-X kits
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312910

These threads are by two SRT-4 owners detailing HFS-5 installs
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338924
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334573

This is a general Aquamist Q&A thread
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752282

This thread is about W/A injection failsafes
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958995

Lastly I would like to add that Aquamist has many items to help customize or improve or otherwise assist with a W/A install. The Aquamist kits have what Richard and I think most users need to get an install completed.

Aquamist does have a solenoid but as dudical26 has stated, not each user needs this for varying reasons so rather then increasing the cost for everyone and including it we have it as an optional component.

Right now Aquamist pretty much designs and makes all of the W/A kit components in house (an exception would be the new HFS-X pumps for instance.....are custom Shurflo units made for Aquamist). Its very easy to order a base 4 qt tank from Flambaue, so easy I doubt we will ever offer a comparable tank....it makes no sense to duplicate this.

However sealed tanks with remote fill capabilities and external venting are not as easy to get from Flambaue without placing an order and having to wait 4 or more weeks for it.......I also think that custom tank orders need to be in bulk quantities, which prevents users from making individual orders for these.

To address this last point I have some custom Flambaeu tanks on order that I hope to get into the hands of those users who are looking for more then just a plain 4 qt tank. If we find that users like or prefer these custom tanks over the plain 4 qt tanks we might consider adding them to the kits OR make them an easy add on to a kit if requested......got to walk first then run based on feedback though.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

^Hows that for customer service^
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

WOW! Thanks, Jack. That much reading should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Can my EVO 8 I/C water spray tank be used as a meth tank? I bought a brand new one from Mitsu just for this purpose.

What is your opinion on the question of 100% meth vs. 50:50 meth/H2O?

Originally Posted by dudical26
^Hows that for customer service^
Stellar!

Originally Posted by dudical26
By the way, my install is pretty much done I am just waiting on getting my trans back from the shop and than I can give you some real world performance data.
What is your target completion date? I'm looking forward to hearing your results.
I understand the HSF-5 adds a lot of wiring under the hood. Are you running wires in split wire loom? Or heat shrink? Or something else? Or just loose? EEK!

I take great pride in the fact that I've added 100hp to the wheels and yet under the hood it looks stock. Can the HFS-5 be installed stealthily? Like black hose instead of white, etc. Spray nozzle in the bottom of the I/C pipe rather than in the top, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

My install is nearly done. I have finished nearly all of the wiring and I just need to clean things up a bit. I also have to tap the UICP for my nozzles and finalize the wiring of my failsafe. These are pretty small tasks and should be done soon. I ordered my failsafe solenoid but it will take 3-4 weeks to get it. Since Jack and I both live in NJ, he is gonna help me out installing the nozzles and getting the system setup.

I have tried to keep things as neat as possible. I mounted my tank and pump in the trunk just like abner. All the wires and water lines are ran inside wire loom in the trunk. The wires and water line running from the trunk are wrapped in that plastic coil wrap stuff and hidden under the door sills along side the factory windshield wiper spray lines. I have purchased heat shrink tubing and also some Techflex expandable sleeving (cool stuff you should check it out). All the wires and water lines under the hood are ran inside wire loom and tied in place along the fire wall. Where the lines connect to the battery and to the failsafe solenoid they are ran inside the Techflex sleeving and the terminal connections are covered with heat shrink tubing. I have some pictures of the install process I can upload when I get home. When it is all finished I think it will be nearly undetectable, aside from the trunk and glove box.

I will also be writing a how-to for installing in an Evo when I finish.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

I am also with everyone else when it comes to praising the customer service from aquamist. I have spent alot of time reading about this system and "preparing" myself to run it. I havn't finished the install because I am waiting for a standalone to go ahead and run it. As far as tanks go I really like the flambeau, I got my tank idea from abner and spawned off his.

Here is a pic of my tank setup,

Yes the kit is more exspensive then others but keep in mind it is not something you want to cut corners on.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

very nice install!

Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
very nice install!

Thankyou for the idea
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=263787

895 is list price. You might be able to get it slightly cheaper. tank is about 30 bucks

IMO This is the most comprehensive single system out there, all you need is the tank, (NOTHING ELSE)

If you wanted to put together an equivalent system from somone else, PART for PART, they would run you this much too. Only if you could, but other vendors dont offer some of these components.

THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I had a questions, half hour later Richard was calling me from UK. Then you have Jack in NJ.

Trust me, go with AQUAMIST, go with HFS-5 !!!!

Jack, i want my money now, lol
Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
I've almost got myself talked into the Aquamist HSF-5. Is anyone actually using this injection system? I'd love to hear some real user feedback.

Does anyone besides me think that the HFS-5 "system" is outrageously expensive? Particularly when you consider that it is generic (meaning not EVO specific), does not come with a meth tank, does not come with any instructions, does not come with a solenoid so the failsafe can be used on a typical EVO, and is manufactured across the ocean on some far off island.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnEB
I am also with everyone else when it comes to praising the customer service from aquamist. I have spent alot of time reading about this system and "preparing" myself to run it. I havn't finished the install because I am waiting for a standalone to go ahead and run it. As far as tanks go I really like the flambeau, I got my tank idea from abner and spawned off his.

Here is a pic of my tank setup,

Yes the kit is more exspensive then others but keep in mind it is not something you want to cut corners on.

I can't ignore but keep noticing some white deposits on the tank adaptor thread, what is it?

Near forgot to mention... great install

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Aquamist HSF-5?