Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Why you should use a restrictor pill with an Aquamist HFS-5

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why you should use a restrictor pill with an Aquamist HFS-5

One of the final steps in installing the HFS-5 is to install the restrictor pill. The pill is used to smooth out the operation of the HSV and controll the meth or water flow more precisely. Make sure you do not overlook this step.

The bright yellow line is the flow of the meth without a pill

Here you will see the meth flow with the largest of the restrictors in place. Notice the bright red line is the injector duty cycle, look how accurately the meth flow follows this line, simply amazing.

Notice how the initial turn on point is no longer a huge spike and the flow is WAY more constant. This makes tunning much easier and has even helped me eliminate some knock due to what I believe was inconsistent meth flow.

This is where the pill goes

Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So a restrictor pill makes it flow better, is that correct? Or maybe i misunderstand this.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

so i guess the size of the restrictor depends on what nozzle(s) you install correct?
like if you install the .9mm and the 1.0 mm nozzles, you would put the bigger size restrictor.. right?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlution561
So a restrictor pill makes it flow better, is that correct? Or maybe i misunderstand this.
A very simple answer is yes. It makes the flow more constant and smoother to be more specific.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Guz Man
so i guess the size of the restrictor depends on what nozzle(s) you install correct?
like if you install the .9mm and the 1.0 mm nozzles, you would put the bigger size restrictor.. right?
Basically. You want to add up the flow of all your nozzles and then check the flow of the 3 provided restrictor. Which ever restrictor most closely matches the flow of your nozzles is the best choice. I use a .9 and a 1.0 mm nozzle so I use the biggest restrictor.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should i just use one 1.0 mm nozzle for stock turbo? if so what restricter should i use? i bought my kit used and i only have one restricter. can i buy replacement restricters?if so where do i get them from
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Dudical, thanks for highlighting the importance of the pill.

In order to maintain a constant pressure across the valve and nozzle, a restrictor is used. It keeps the fluid flow linear to fuel injector duty cycle.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Is it possible for you to log another chart with the trip point at 12% DC and higher gear? It won't affect the flow at high DC. This will show up the linearity of the HFS-5 system better.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06ravenmr
should i just use one 1.0 mm nozzle for stock turbo? if so what restricter should i use? i bought my kit used and i only have one restricter. can i buy replacement restricters?if so where do i get them from
Send me a PM will you're email address. I'm in short supply of many replacement components but I'm sure I have these. And should be to put into the mail to you by Monday.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
Is it possible for you to log another chart with the trip point at 12% DC and higher gear? It won't affect the flow at high DC. This will show up the linearity of the HFS-5 system better.
Yea I can do that.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Here is another graph. This one shows the trigger point set at the lowest possible point of IDC = 12%. Again you can see the yellow line of the meth flow following the red line of the injector flow.

On a side note - It is awesome to be able to run 33psi with almost zero knock, METH ROCKS!

Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Thank you , I am very glad I see the system is working well on a car as well as on the test bench.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Richard - are there any other logs you would like to see?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

See the part I like about this how the PCM is the W/A controller, no need to reinvent the wheel, the graphs show this fact..............the PCM/EMS/ECM is the best W/A controller and everyone already has it installed along with the needed sensors.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
Richard - are there any other logs you would like to see?
Yes please! I would love to see a logged continuous pull from low gears upwards. It will show how the system is responding to transients.

Can you rescale various channels to give a more detail viewing? Perhaps x10 the AFR etc.

I like to focus on the IDC, DDS3 and AFR. It will certainly makes an interesting chart.

Lastly, can you post it as .png, .jpeg or .gif rather .bmp, the file size is huge.

Quick Reply: Why you should use a restrictor pill with an Aquamist HFS-5