Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Aquamist HFS-1, GM BCS, and Tephra v5: together at last!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
It reacts instantly. About 3milliseconds I believe is what Tephra stated.
You are the man, I only somewhat remember asking the question it was so long ago. Thanks for the definitive answer.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you can only tune for ECU boost if you use the Tephra hack w/ meth?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by currahee474
So you can only tune for ECU boost if you use the Tephra hack w/ meth?
No you can tune your boost levels with ECUFlash regardless if you use his patch or not. His patch allows you to basically have two sets of settings for your boost level, fuel maps and ignition timing maps. You can also have two settings for your duel injector scaling too which is handly for people who tune for E85 gas or regular pump gas.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
It appeared to me this failsafe interface is extremely cost effective, no MBC or splicing is necessary.
Do you have an updated wiring diagram for the HFS-5 to illustrate how this setup is done for those running your kit and the v5 patch?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Found this diagram on Jack's website, but I had a question about it.
Jack-now that the v9 DDS3 board is able to output a 5v single directly do you really need to use a harness. Assuming you don't want the LED couldn't you just run a wire from the output of the DDS3 directly to the ECU?

Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Found this diagram on Jack's website, but I had a question about it.
Jack-now that the v9 DDS3 board is able to output a 5v single directly do you really need to use a harness. Assuming you don't want the LED couldn't you just run a wire from the output of the DDS3 directly to the ECU?

Yes the DDS3v9 can output the 5v signal but it requires some modifying to the circuit board, it not like that from the factory. The harness is useful for anyone who doesn't want to mess with the DDS3v9's circuitry or for owners with the previous version controller. Also, I don't know if the v9's 5v output ever exceeds 5.00 volts but Tephra really preferred that the voltage stayed below 5.00 volts so my harnesses were designed to be in the 4.5-4.9v range. Just for safety sake.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Jack - thanks for the info, I will ask Richard if there is a chance for the voltage to exceed 5v. I imagine if it did that would be dangerous to the ECU.

Also, with the LED, that simply lights up when power is being provided to the ECU correct? It doesn't actually indicate that the maps have switched but just that voltage is being sent to the ECU, right? I'm just trying to think if I would want that if I have the HFS-5. Reason being that if the system already has a light saying when it is on and when the flow is inside the failsafe window.

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack - thanks for the info, I will ask Richard if there is a chance for the voltage to exceed 5v. I imagine if it did that would be dangerous to the ECU.

Also, with the LED, that simply lights up when power is being provided to the ECU correct? It doesn't actually indicate that the maps have switched but just that voltage is being sent to the ECU, right? I'm just trying to think if I would want that if I have the HFS-5. Reason being that if the system already has a light saying when it is on and when the flow is inside the failsafe window.

Thanks
i thought the LED lights up once it has changed to the safer map...
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

The LED lights up when the "alky" maps are engaged. And you are correct that the LED only tells you that the ECU is indeed getting the 4.5-4.9 volts on the ADC input wire. Any Evo8 or 9 equipped with the factory ICS setup can use the ICS indicator in the instrument cluster to tell you if the ECU did in FACT switch maps. Sadly, since not all Evo's have the ICS configuartion I was not able to have a design which turned the LED on when the ECU did in fact switch to the "alky" maps internally.

The LED is good insurance that the DDS3 and/or the Alt Map Harness are doing their job. Good for troubleshooting too if you were having an issue with the ECU not switching between maps.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slick-IX
i thought the LED lights up once it has changed to the safer map...
Yes this is true, but I don't believe the ECU is actually sending any signal to the LED telling it to turn on, rather the LED turns on when voltage is sent to the ECU. In effect it is the same thing, but for some reason if the ECU did not change maps even though the voltage was sent to the ECU to change, we would not know about it.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
The LED lights up when the "alky" maps are engaged. And you are correct that the LED only tells you that the ECU is indeed getting the 4.5-4.9 volts on the ADC input wire. Any Evo8 or 9 equipped with the factory ICS setup can use the ICS indicator in the instrument cluster to tell you if the ECU did in FACT switch maps. Sadly, since not all Evo's have the ICS configuartion I was not able to have a design which turned the LED on when the ECU did in fact switch to the "alky" maps internally.

The LED is good insurance that the DDS3 and/or the Alt Map Harness are doing their job. Good for troubleshooting too if you were having an issue with the ECU not switching between maps.
thanks for the info. I am still waiting to hear back from Richard about the voltage of the DDS3 being stable at 5volts.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it better to run 100% meth? Im worried of not keeping the mix consistent if your mixing it with water. What do most people use with aquamist kit using 1.0 jet and .9 on stock injectors?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
Is it better to run 100% meth? Im worried of not keeping the mix consistent if your mixing it with water. What do most people use with aquamist kit using 1.0 jet and .9 on stock injectors?
Meth is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water faster than you can imagine...right out of the air. To keep things consistent, find out how regularly you cycle through a tank and try not to let the same 'batch' sit in the car for more than a week or two. The longer meth sits, the more diluted it will become with the absorbed water, altering your meth percentage. Most people see the most gains with 100% meth.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info. I am still waiting to hear back from Richard about the voltage of the DDS3 being stable at 5volts.
Dudical, Did you ever get an answer for this, curious...
Old Jul 7, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

No not yet, Richard has been away for a bit and wont be back for another few days. Don't worry I will be sure to figure out the most simple way to wire in the alt map patch with the DDS3.

Quick Reply: Aquamist HFS-1, GM BCS, and Tephra v5: together at last!