Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

HFS-5 in a nut shell...

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFS-5 in a nut shell...

A year on… Since the introduction of the HFS-5 idc water/methanol system we put its performance on record. With the aid of a real-time logged chart, you can see how the system went about achieving its designed goal, delivering methanol relative to fuel flow.

The flow sensor reading is represented by the yellow trace, where presentation is focused. Keeping things simple, we will just compare two curves at a time. HFS-5 is set to trigger at a very low duty cycle of 12%. This demonstrates how the flow responses to engine cycles between 2500rpm to 7000rpm and from vacuum to full boost. Really putting the HFS-5 through its paces.

(chart supplied by Dudical26 with thanks)

Reference to the chart above:

[1] As the IDC climbed above 12%, the HFS-5 begins delivering methanol at a steady rate (yellow trace: left of circle1). The throttle snapped open as the yellow trace (methanol flow) entered the blue circled area. The methanol flow was affected by the partial manifold vacuum during the throttle movement. The flow sensor recorded this flow change event faithfully. Flow tracking resumed normally after this little interruption.

[2] Wastegate chatter was recorded accurately by the flow sensor. This section highlighted the response speed of the flow sensor’s ability to detect fast transients.

[3] If fuel flow is a good indication of engine power, then tracking IDC is a reliable method to keep methanol and fuel ratio constant. Compare the methanol flow (yellow trace) to the IDC (red trace), the HFS-5 performed this task with ease.

It has to be said, if the HFS-5 were to tracks manifold pressure instead of IDC, it could not possibly provide methanol/fuel ratio consistency to the entire power cycle. Just look at the fuel requirement (red trace) against boost pressure (bright green trace), beyond peak boost, they went in opposite directions!

The chart also highlighted the importance of the inclusion of a fast-response flow sensor to keep track of the flow for fault diagnostic purposes. From this moment on, failsafe is just a matter of monitoring the IDC against the actual flow.

A rock steady 125psi of water pressure is another contribution to the accuracy of methanol delivery. The HFS-5 is the closest thing working in parallel with the OE fuel delivery system.

Last edited by Richard L; May 16, 2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old May 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Isn't the system tracking (and mirroring) injector pulsewidth rather than injector duty cycle?
Old May 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

injector duty cycle % = injector pulse width with RPM reference.
Old May 16, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awsome post Richard! Truly another reason to run a Aquamist system! By far the best W/F ratio for tuning! It would be intresting to chart a 2d system activated by boost vs IDC...
Old May 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

I see what you mean. Like a "pulsewidth divided by max available pulsewidth window." Great Data. I look forward to removing my 2D and installing my new HFS5 soon.
Old May 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I have tested a number of systems configurations on the test bench last month, including PPS system, based on a 60W, 100W and 150W pump. I charted the flow vs pressure and the effect of a PPS system with a on-demand switch.

One the same day before I was able to transfer the data to my computer from the lab computer (laptop), the hard-drive died. 2 days of work disappeared. Got the laptop back from repair shop with a new hard drive two weeks ago. Have to start loading in all the softwares etc in again. Just couldn't find the time. Will gather enough energy one long weekend to make things happen.

It will make interesting reading.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Richard - thanks for the explanation of what is going on. I love the HFS-5 because it enables me to maintain a constant water/meth to fuel ratio. I personally think that is very important for achieving maximum power and ease of tuning from a car.

If there are any other tests you would like me to do, I would be happy to....just as soon as I get back home, lol.
Old May 17, 2008, 01:38 AM
Former Sponsor

I wpuild like to see how the system behave in different gears under light and full throttle. Perhaps a longish long under normal driving conditions.

By then I hope to have some more part-developed components for you to try.
Old May 17, 2008, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Would you want the log to have the system being triggered at the lowest trigger point of 12% IDC or would you want the log to be where I normally have the system turn on ~ 20psi of boost.
Old May 17, 2008, 02:21 AM
Former Sponsor

At 12% for sure - like to see the whole picture please.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:31 PM

Hi Richard, I don't think you remember me, I have emailed on Feb 21 2008 about the HFS-5 WI System. We ordered it from Aquamist US and installed in my friend Nissan GT34R (Powered with 2JZ engine). Our HFS-5 is fully controlled by Motec M800 EMS. We have used only water but the results is AMAZING, we could run 30 psi boost using pump gas in high weather ambient temperature with NO knock.
Old May 22, 2008, 01:57 AM
Former Sponsor

I can recall this. Thanks very much for the feedabck. Venturing into M50/W50 soon? The Skyline engine is a great power produced. We supply to many sky liner users in the UK, a few have achieved 9s 1/4 consistently. 10s 1/4 is normal for those wonderful cars. They all run 50/50 up.
Old May 22, 2008, 01:57 AM
Former Sponsor

I have managed to offset the scale of flow sensor trace so that comparison is clear. The new trace matches the IDC (red trace) very closely during boost .

Old May 22, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Richard - that offset is a great idea and makes the graph much easier to understand. I will be sure to change my data log lab definition file so that it offsets the meth flow automatically. While it does slightly obscure the IDC% it makes for a great comparison of how closely meth flow follows IDC%.

With that being said I'm not 100% sure that I am using the correct equation to convert volts to CC flow. I think it was Kevin D who provided me with the conversion which was very helpful.

Ultimately I suppose it does not really matter all that much if the CC flow is exact as it will still be linear compared to IDC.
Old May 22, 2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Richard L
I can recall this. Thanks very much for the feedabck. Venturing into M50/W50 soon? The Skyline engine is a great power produced. We supply to many sky liner users in the UK, a few have achieved 9s 1/4 consistently. 10s 1/4 is normal for those wonderful cars. They all run 50/50 up.
We are planning to try M50/W50 very soon ... The GT34R has Toyota Supra 2JZ-GTE engine instead of RB26 ... The 2JZ is MUCH cheaper and easy to get in our place than the RB26.