Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Direct Port Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very well said!

This is why the HFS-5 kit should be used. You need a lot of volume for that many injection points and the Aquamist HFS-5 is the only kit that can provide the precision and volume thats needed to control such a system.

Evan Smith
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would stay away from DPI of methanol. Would need to be controlled by EFI. Even though the intake valves would be nice and cool there will be alot of wetting behind it waiting for the valve to open.

One nozzle near TB still the best way to use methanol on a port fuel system.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have direct port injection along with one nozzle in the UICP. Here are some pics.

Chris

Name:  DSCN2818.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  DSCN2821.jpg
Size:  51.6 KB
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
I would stay away from DPI of methanol. Would need to be controlled by EFI. Even though the intake valves would be nice and cool there will be alot of wetting behind it waiting for the valve to open.

One nozzle near TB still the best way to use methanol on a port fuel system.
100% correct again! Water would be better for DPI because it will remove more heat from the cylinder.

Half the benifit of having meth in a water/meth injection system is to cool the air prior to motor. 6 inches from the TB is minimal.

Evan Smith
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aqmist
For water/methanol injection one of the issues has always been jet placement. Closer to the combustion chamber the more the injectant has a direct effect on influencing the flame front in the combustion chamber. Its because of the injectant not breaking down into smaller particles like as with a jet located close to the IC exit tank. The bigger molecules as a result of port injection help the flame front to propagate through the combustion chamber without pre-igniting...........high octane fuel has this effect = resists premature burn and heat spot ignition. Methanol even goes further with this because of its octane value, so if you can tune for the methanol by removing some of the fuel via PCM tuning and then replacing it with methanol and then adding boost you will have the ability to make a lot more power.

Injecting at the IC exit tank for instance, gives the injectant more time to break down into smaller particles and become more thoroughly mixed with the Intake air change and this helps to cool the charge down........the effect is very similar to why an intercooler is used and why cool dense air make more power. A water and methanol mix injected at this point does better at intake air charge temp cooling then straight water or methanol.

Helping to control knock is the main thing being done with water/methanol injection and the thing is that with knock and turbo cars the intake air charge temp is part of the issue as well the quality of the burn in the combustion chamber..........by using a jet in the intake air charge tract to cool the charge AND using port injection you can go after TWO issues that are directly effecting knock.

Here's some images of jet adapters installed for a direct port injection setup:

(Plug installed in the jet adapters)
Jack,

I hope this is an old photo and you have taken the plugs out of the nozzle holders and started running direct port.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
I have direct port injection along with one nozzle in the UICP. Here are some pics.

Chris

wow dude freaking nice man
Old Oct 10, 2016, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Need to bump this back to life to ask a question for those folks in Arizona who will no longer have a decent mix of E85.

Meth/water injection seems like the only alternative other than race gas to achieve similar power gains.

Wouldn't the direct port water injection system seen above be the only safe way to run a water injection system?

It's true that the spray has less time to atomize when the nozzles sit that close to the cylinder head, but AWD motorsports have found many cracked pistons due to the unequal distribution of water/meth sprayers because of their placement in the UICP.

Any thoughts?

-pal215
Old Oct 10, 2016, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Need to bump this back to life to ask a question for those folks in Arizona who will no longer have a decent mix of E85.

Meth/water injection seems like the only alternative other than race gas to achieve similar power gains.

Wouldn't the direct port water injection system seen above be the only safe way to run a water injection system?

It's true that the spray has less time to atomize when the nozzles sit that close to the cylinder head, but AWD motorsports have found many cracked pistons due to the unequal distribution of water/meth sprayers because of their placement in the UICP.

Any thoughts?

-pal215
I was told by aquamist that you're better off running a couple nozzles down stream then direct port. As you mentioned it's better for atomization. I was told that for water injection direct port is better. I feel the same way though, I would be nervous of having cylinder 1 going lean. That's why I wouldn't be going too aggressive with the tune. I would do an aggressive pump tune and then make it safer with meth.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys I am confused some people say you should run 50/50 others suggest 100% meth.
What are the pros and cons?

Im currently running 50/50 On Evo 8 with AEM V1
Old Mar 10, 2017, 03:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxjm
Guys I am confused some people say you should run 50/50 others suggest 100% meth.

Straight water works best / safest and it's free.

There's no point in even adding methanol until you've done water on it's own and got it to work well.

Straight methanol gives massive power gains but it's very easy to blow an engine if not done properly.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxjm

Pros of 100% is generally greater power potential and kinda smells like burnt candy canes when you get on it.

Cons are it is extremely viscous, easily flammable (electricial spark can ignite it) and burns clear and colorless. Did I mention it will strip your paint?

Also if you change to 100% you will need a retune.

I ran M1 for years with the biggest issue being it will kill a seal unless the seal is made for it. I had fittings go bad on my tank and a pump or two. A while back now, they started to offer seals and pumps for 100% though.

Adding water reduces the viscosity and keeps it from being flammable. You will get the vast majority of the power potential as well. Long story short, 50/50 is safer to use.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 08:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure Direct Port injection is only limited to water only, I would say just go 50/50 water/meth and be done - best of both worlds, safe due to the water mixed in the meth.

I too was told that direct port won't atomize well enough and that I should also have additional nozzle further back before throttle body but I proved that to be incorrect and not needed. I have the perfect setup now.

I also met a fellow in Germany (engineer) who has been playing with direct port meth for a long time, he writes papers on the this stuff! He assured me to go with this setup and for anyone who searches for this in the future, here is my setup and results:

Granted this is on an EVO X but essentially the same. I run 4 x 0.5mm check valved jets (check valves built into the jets as it's post throttle body and has vacuum to deal with on lift off). This setup is good for 650 crank hp (and I believe up to 700hp). I ran 0.4mm nozzles but it struggled due to the boost and HP I have (so it's important to run the right nozzles).

This car is a track/weekend car and during tuning with det cans we experienced zero signs of knock, it holds flat at 12.2-12.3 AFR. I'm still on open source tuning as well.

We are not even at the limits with this tune, we feel it won't have any problems surpassing 500whp but it already spins in 3rd gear (and I'm worried about the stock sleeves)

This is a mainline dyno (heartbreaker) and stock evo x gets 225whp.

This is being run on a built block (2.1ltr) and MX1 cams with BW EFR 7163 turbo.

Name:  D160D931-844D-4DED-83BB-CF1BCFB555B3_zps9mrfvc7q.jpg
Size:  132.2 KB

Red line having more boost, and meth turned on being the only difference. We did however adjust the spool further and picked up more down low on the red line, still the top end of the graph is all meth and more boost.

This was with non check valved jets but you get the idea for placement of the jets in the intake manifold:
Name:  1DB0B057-F792-4306-8E01-5A1AB7D7A85B_zpshxxmtavd.jpg
Size:  456.9 KB

Meth in the boot original water tank:
Name:  5BB8004D-3D24-4F5F-B98F-8FE8C014897B_zps01djtvtc.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB

I run a BW EFR 7163 turbo:
Name:  9B52C2ED-8051-49D6-AF8B-B155A4F1380B_zpsq43su4tm.jpg
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  evo%20desktop-1_zpsmdley95i.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB

Here is the new meth setup agains my original stock block and HKS Kai 7640 turbo with a fairly aggressive street tune:

Name:  8340FDA9-EBC8-4E01-A5F7-EED7E80DC5E4_zps0gi5q8ad.jpg
Size:  134.0 KB
Old Aug 24, 2017, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Very nice Robos! It's about time people in asia got into this stuff! Last I was there it was all show no go.
I am running 6 additional injectors for meth 1600's 1 in air filter 1 in intake and 4 on the magnus V5 will be pushing the 3071gtx g2 to the limit. Fuel will not be my limiting factor lol.