Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Injection Mixtures 101

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Do the reduced EGTs with water come from running increased timing and leaner mixtures, or directly from the water? I'm setting up my HFS-5 and with 100% water I'm seeing no change in my EGTs with my usual pump gas tune. I've confirmed that it is spraying.
Water, especially 100%, slows combustion considerably, and late combustion as you stated increases EGT. When knocking happens you will see EGT decrease and CHT increase. So maybe the spark still isn't advanced enough for the water spray added, that has delayed peak cyl pressure. EGT should not be used solely as an indicator of engine safety or (.) for that matter. The direct impact water does have is on is lowering CHT, and high CHT is what blows up engines. By the way, EGT thermocouple readings can have a considerable lag due to the cast they're plumbed in to so they're more or less useless.

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Jul 14, 2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Water, especially 100%, slows combustion considerably, and late combustion as you stated increases EGT. When knocking happens you will see EGT decrease and CHT increase. So maybe the spark still isn't advanced enough for the water spray added, that has delayed peak cyl pressure. EGT should not be used solely as an indicator of engine safety or (.) for that matter. The direct impact water does have is on is lowering CHT, and high CHT is what blows up engines. By the way, EGT thermocouple readings can have a considerable lag due to the cast they're plumbed in to so they're more or less useless.
^^^ Sounds like a pilot!

The main problem with CHT (cylinder head temp)is that it is slow to respond, more so than EGT but with less dramatic changes since it is installed mainly outside the cylinder. It also measures the residual combustion temperature of one spot on the cylinder head, and not much else. This makes it hard to tell if you have hot spots.

I will 100% agree with you about H20's cycle through the combustion process. I for one notice with 100% H2O I needed MORE timing than I could get with 100 octane race fuel!!! And still no knock! Egts lowered and knock was not present.
But also note it needed leaner 12.00's and higher AFR's

My main concern with 100% H20 is the lack of distribution due to high viscosity, next is proper ignition without it, blow out will occur. Again proper placement of jets and tuning can insure more or less IAT or EGT/CHT's.

Evan Smith
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Post

eseevo,

I am going to have a HFS-3 installed soon. Placement of the injector is huge and you know what I am meaning, power, vs cooling in a way. I am running a Buschur UICP and was planning on placing the injector half way from the BOV location and the begin of the last bend to the TB. Would that be a good of both worlds placement?

I live in the socal deserts where temps are over 115F for months. The main reason why I want a kit is to keep performance up in the summer months. At the same token get a power gain. So in turn, a 50/50 mix would be better suited for my application correct?

Many tuners here on the west coast anyway, want to push 100% meth because the power potential is higher, my arguement is I need the water to keep things cool, its not just about the HP, that to me is just an added benefit. Am I correct in saying that? I seem to get the losing end of the battle with the tuners. Most are so pig headed on making power, they don't see the practicality of just making the car enjoyable to drive.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
eseevo,

I am going to have a HFS-3 installed soon. Placement of the injector is huge and you know what I am meaning, power, vs cooling in a way. I am running a Buschur UICP and was planning on placing the injector half way from the BOV location and the begin of the last bend to the TB. Would that be a good of both worlds placement?

I live in the socal deserts where temps are over 115F for months. The main reason why I want a kit is to keep performance up in the summer months. At the same token get a power gain. So in turn, a 50/50 mix would be better suited for my application correct?

Many tuners here on the west coast anyway, want to push 100% meth because the power potential is higher, my arguement is I need the water to keep things cool, its not just about the HP, that to me is just an added benefit. Am I correct in saying that? I seem to get the losing end of the battle with the tuners. Most are so pig headed on making power, they don't see the practicality of just making the car enjoyable to drive.

HFS-3 is a great choice! I would suggest as you’re not too far from me or my climate here in AZ to run 2 points of injection. I would do 1.0mm furthest away about 18 in or so from the TB. Next would be 0.8-0.9 6in or so from the TB. Being that you’re in a very hot and dry climate you will benefit best from a duel injection setup.

No offenses to many tuners but those who think they can extract more power from 100% meth than 50/50 are mistaken. It simply easier for them to tune: meaning a faster turn around and a faster profit for less work. Yes water will keep the temps cooler however when properly tuned it can yield the same amount of power as meth alone. I personally tune my injection kits for all my customers and they never complain about power or drivability on 50/50. Water will also make things more durable and reliable in a long term use.

Feel free to pm me for more question regarding your setup.

Thanks

Evan Smith
Old Feb 7, 2011, 09:55 AM

I have the hsf 1, great info.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by esevo
Yes but,

Just like a majority of all alky's, meth can act either acidic or basic in behavior. Its got a pKa of about 15, it will be a slightly weaker acid than water, yet it will still able to react with strong bases like hydrides, or with materials such as sodium metal. With meth it will attack the oxide coating that protects aluminium from corrosion. Therefore acting like an acid.

Again I'm trying to keeping it more basic and simple for the general public to understand.

Evan Smith
I'm aware this post is quite old, but to correct your statement here, water has a pKa of 16, alcohols around 15, which means alcohols are more acidic than water, meaning they're the stronger acid, not water.
And hydroxides have a pka, again, of 16, same as water; hydrides being a lot stronger bases with pKas above 33. Anything with a pKa lower than 30 will react with a hydride quite readily.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stormin Norman
I'm aware this post is quite old, but to correct your statement here, water has a pKa of 16, alcohols around 15, which means alcohols are more acidic than water, meaning they're the stronger acid, not water.
And hydroxides have a pka, again, of 16, same as water; hydrides being a lot stronger bases with pKas above 33. Anything with a pKa lower than 30 will react with a hydride quite readily.
Leave it to a chemist to correct me

I guess I was close but not enough

Evan Smith
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by esevo
Leave it to a chemist to correct me

I guess I was close but not enough

Evan Smith

but the most important info was correct
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

I've got the HFS2-PWM System with two nozzles.I see they've installed one that's about 1mm and one is about 0.8mm.I've also noticed a 50/50 mix is adequate.Then i also sometimes add a 6RON octane booster of 1Lt.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:14 PM

So is a dual nozzle setup better with higher or lower concentrations of water? And how does distance apart from the nozzles affect IAT, CHT, and EGTs?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

According to my experience,two nozzles are too much water.My set-up was just spraying too much.Now with just one 0.8mm jet it's adequate.It sits about 400mm away from the butterfly...
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Locations of jets greatly effect the ability to use the amount of water/meth. Also the amount of boost and timing/afr will effect demand of the amount and location as well.

Two smaller jets will always be better than one big one! 1. Better atomization out of smaller nozzles. 2. More effective inlet air cooling from the first jet and more effective cylinder cooling from the second jet. 3. Better cylinder distribution due to placements and volume of mixture. 4. Can handel big hp and volume demand more effectivly than one large jet.

Use the flow calculator to see what water/fuel ratio you may need and pick your jets... I like a larger jet down after the intercooler and a smaller one 6" away from the tb for best air temps and cylinder temps. This is why a kit like the Aquamist hfs-series are crucial for proper control. Example: you can change your w/f ratio demands with gain control based via boost and IPW so you can watch and change your flow without having to change jet sizing.

Best of luck!

Evan Smith

Last edited by esevo; Nov 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but when injecting 100% meth, the jet(s) can be located pre-intercooler, whereas if H2O, or a meth/H2O mix is injected, then jet location must necessarily be post-IC. Is this correct?
Old May 31, 2015, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Correct me if I am wrong but when injecting 100% meth, the jet(s) can be located pre-intercooler, whereas if H2O, or a meth/H2O mix is injected, then jet location must necessarily be post-IC. Is this correct?

All that matters is jet sizing for pre-intercooling. Depending on the mixture, that will depict the size of the jet. For water you need less, H20/Meth a bit more, 100% meth much more... As long as that water/fuel ratio as well as the total cooling doesn't exceed that of the core. Meaning you don't cool it down, so much as to turn the mist back to a droplet size that can cause stumbling and fueling issues. Hope this makes sense.