Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

New Water/Methanol Injection Failsafe from AEM

Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Water/Methanol Injection Failsafe from AEM

Well gang it's finally time for me to let the cat out of the bag. I can't even begin to tell you how hard it's been for us and our beta testers to keep this under wraps while we've been developing this new product because we really think this finally answers the call for a true failsafe that works the way we would all expect one to work, but the way none of the current ones actually do work.

So without further ado, I'd like to introduce the new AEM Injection Monitor.

At first glance, it looks like another gauge-packaged flow-based failsafe but there is way more to it than that. First, the Injection Monitor is a smart system that monitors the entire injection curve and not just flow at a single point or in a "window" like other systems do. What the Injection Monitor does is collect flow vs. injection rate data and then plot it in a graph using PC software. Once a baseline flow curve has been established you can then set high and low flow limit lines that are contoured to closely follow your actual flow curve. If flow goes either above or below your limit lines for a certain period of time an alarm will be triggered. This allows for many more errors to be identified than the existing crop of single point threshold detection systems common today. That type of system is a trade-off at best.

Here are some of the key system features:

• Monitors both flow and injection rate which are plotted live on a viewing graph – no segmented displays or bar graph gauges.
  • Currently setup to work with systems that use ¼” od tube - a “metric” version is in the works as well.
  • PC software with simple USB connectivity – no knobs, no adjustment pots, no funky buttons – you configure this system with your PC!
  • “Auto Set Limit” feature makes configuring the limit lines a one-click process.
  • Two outputs - one high side (+12v) and one low side (ground) output allows you to easily take action if there is a problem.
  • Internal data logger! Yes, the Injection Monitor logs! Check your logs to see EXACTLY what your injection system is doing.
Now, let’s talk about the gauge for a bit.

Of course we’re using our analog gauge as a foundation for this product but what separates this from the standard flow gauge that we introduced last year is that the entire system except for the sensor is housed inside the gauge. No external modules or junction boxes are used. Here are some more details:

• Interchangeable 0-500 cc/min and 0-1000 cc/min black & white face-plates and interchangeable black & silver bezels – flow range is user selectable in the software.
  • Back-lighting alarm – when an alarm is triggered the gauge back-lighting and/or needle will flash and of course this is all user configurable through the software – this really grabs your attention!
  • Fully configurable back-lighting – the seven standard AEM colors are still there but you can also tweak the color to match virtually any OEM or aftermarket gauge.
  • Warning lights in the gauge face tell you what is triggering the alarm – this tells you if there is a high or low flow condition or if the auxiliary input has been triggered (more on that later).
So, how do you use the Injection Monitor?

First you establish a baseline flow curve – if you’re using the AEM injection system all you actually need to do is hit the test button on the controller once or twice (while the nozzle is out of the intake of course). The test button progresses the system from zero to full flow giving you your flow curve. If you are using a different system you simply run the system up to full flow a few times while connected to the Injection Monitor with your PC.

Next, set the high and low flow limit lines – you can use the Auto Set Limits feature which will give you a best suggested limit line configuration based on your baseline flow curve or you can simply draw them in yourself.

Now set the Alarm Delay – this is the “buffer” time that will allow for small variances in injection without false triggering while still being able to catch true drop outs or spikes in flow.

And finally, select how you’d like the two outputs to function when an alarm triggers.

Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:42 PM
Account Disabled

If you’re using an AEM EMS you’d most likely want to use the ground output to trigger nitrous maps or a lower boost target or the two step. Having both a high side and low side output means the possibilities are virtually endless. One note though – be sure to use a relay to trigger auxiliary devices that will draw more than 1.5a of current.

We took a decidedly different approach to how the system resets once the alarm has been triggered. Most other systems have a reset delay that just counts up and then resets everything back to normal allowing you to go into boost again and potentially re-trigger an alarm in the event there is still a high or low flow condition. So, alarm triggers then resets and then you get back into it and it triggers again and then it resets and then you get back into it again and so on and so on. Each time you’re allowing your engine to go into high load where it depends on the water/methanol injection to prevent detonation.

The alarm reset strategy for the Injection Monitor is different. Instead of simply allowing the system to reset after a certain period of time, we don’t allow the alarm to reset until measurable flow within the high and low flow limit lines has been established again. This means that the Injection Monitor will hold the alarm until it knows that flow has been regained and things are back to normal. We felt that this was truly the safest way to go because after all this is a water/methanol injection safety system. If you need to hard reset the alarm for whatever reason you can do so by cycling power to the unit.

So what else does the Injection Monitor do… oh yeah, it logs! Now you can go back and see exactly what your injection system was doing when an alarm was triggered. The logger holds 2 ½ minutes of log data (which is actually many, many individual pulls or injection invents) and when it fills up it begins to loop log. Loop logging means that the oldest data is dumped as new data is collected. Some loggers will simply stop collecting data once the memory has filled up but with loop logging the system is always logging when you are injecting and you will always have the last 150 seconds of injection flow data so you can go back and pin point when, where and most importantly why the alarm condition occurred. Also, the logs include a marker indicating the start and stop of each injection event. There is also a 0-5v analog output for flow if you’re using an external logger or EMS.

The Injection Monitor also has an auxiliary input that accepts a ground signal to also trigger an alarm. The primary intended purpose of this input is to use it with the “Boost Safe” output from the progressive controller in the AEM Water/Methanol Injection System. This output activates whenever a system readiness error is detected. “Boost Safe” will detect things like open circuits, short circuits, high or low voltage conditions and even low fluid level. If any of these conditions exist the Injection Monitor will trigger an alarm, turn on both status LEDs in the gauge to indicate that the aux input is on plus all of this information is recorded in the logger so you can go back and see exactly what happened.

The AEM Injection Monitor part number is 30-3020 and the street price should be around $250-$275. A small number will be available for shipping in the next few days and a much larger second batch will go out later in the month. You can place your order with any AEM dealer. Visit www.aemelectronics.com for a dealer directory.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Congrats on the new product launch
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Is AEM working on a better flow control system by any chance. I.e moving away from the variable pump speed and something more like Aquamist's system?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so this takes place of the progressive controller?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by wreckleford
Is AEM working on a better flow control system by any chance. I.e moving away from the variable pump speed and something more like Aquamist's system?
It's a little early to really say what we specifically have planned but I'd like everyone to know that AEM is committed to the water/methanol injection market and we're committed to developing new, innovative, and affordable products.

Originally Posted by grim~
so this takes place of the progressive controller?
The Injection Monitor is an add-on safety system for a separate water/methanol injection system. This in itself is not a progressive controller.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NS@AEM
The Injection Monitor is an add-on safety system for a separate water/methanol injection system. This in itself is not a progressive controller.
ok i see,so this is just a monitor and not a programmable type thing correct?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by grim~
ok i see,so this is just a monitor and not a programmable type thing correct?
Yes, this is a water/methanol injection monitoring system or a failsafe as many might call it and it is fully programmable with PC software but it is not an actual injection system.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:51 PM

Wow, great timing. I was just going to start looking for a fail safe for my kit, glad this came out now and not 1 week after I spend my money (like they usually do). I'll check this out.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:42 PM

So has anybody got their hands on one yet? I am seriously considering getting one but don't want to be the first. I would rather let one of you guys do it and check the water out for the rest of us.

I downloaded the instructions and it looks pretty straight forward.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

The first batch shipped to the distributors late last week so I would expect them to start getting into peoples hands sometime in the next few days.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

can this unit be wired to map switch on the stock ecu if it realizes an error?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo_gerard
can this unit be wired to map switch on the stock ecu if it realizes an error?
Yes, It can. It turns on both a 12V channel and a switched ground channel when an alarm is activated so you could activate a map select switch and also turn on a warning light or dump wastegate pressure with a solenoid or just turn on a light.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone tried hooking up to stock ecu as map switching failsafe?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This will run perfect on the stock ecu, just like all the other fail safes. It has configurable triggers for use with any ECU, or boost control device.

I just got mine all installed a few weeks ago, however I am on an AEM EMS but it is really cool. This thing is just awesome, and you can put it on any meth kit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Water/Methanol Injection Failsafe from AEM