Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

hfs6 issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hfs6 issues

Ever since i installed my hfs6 ive had little quirks here and there . Ive ironed out all except 1 big one.

After a bit of driving my lines end up with air bubble coming from the intercooler piping heading to my fcu ( fuel control unit)

From the fcu they go past and head back toward the pump. this causes the system to not have methanol ready to spray as soon as i get into power and my failsafe kicks on . I have to prime the system before i can get into boost.

I have all compression fittings and no leaks anywhere . My fittings are all tight .

Ive contacted Richard L from day 1 of the problem for assistance and all i keep getting from him is that theres air entering from the filter in the back before the pump.

He suggested get the new inline filter that goes into the tank saying thatll help the problem.

Well my tank was not deep enough so i straight lined my tank to the pump to "fix my faulty filter"

Still have the same situation . Whats the excuse now.
Im getting very frustrated with this . Im running an fpblack on 35psi.. I cant have Bull**** inconsistency's like this.

Does any one have an ideas?
Im thinking I have faulty hardware. I thought this system has a built in solenoid in the fcu to stop air from going back into the lines..
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I am very puzzle with this. Perhpas someone can chime in and offer some ideas. You can also pm me your phone number and I will give you a call and do some real time diagnostic work, may help?

I need to know the serial number of the FCM unit.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hate to say it, but it does sound like there is a leak some where. How much of the line is draining out. Is it just a small air bubble or does it cover a few feet of line?

Also be glad that you are with Aquamist. Richard has the best customer service I have ever know.

There is another thread on here where a person can not get help with his AEM kit. Even after weeks and both he and I have PM people from AEM who have been online and posted in this forum since then with no response.

Sorry to start with the basics but it is easier to diagnosis that way.

How many jets are you running? What are your settings? Do you have any pics of the setup? Filter, problem area, jets, etc.

Last edited by mt057; Aug 22, 2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

This is the part that makes me think that there is a leak somewhere. I have had leaks where the fitting screws in to the unit if they were not tight enough. I also caused a leak while tightening a comp. fitting which cut the line a little due to it being of angle.

I could be wrong but I do not believe that the FCM has a check valve built in. The system should stay primed. If everything is leak free it pressure in the piping etc should keep it from pushing backward into the system.

I have noticed though that sometimes I will lose a little fluid near the nozzles almost like it has been sucked out under vaccum or blown back into the lines under slight boost. This does not cause me to hit a fault though...

What do you have to do to "prime" the system

Originally Posted by danameisoj
Ever since i installed my hfs6 ive had little quirks here and there . Ive ironed out all except 1 big one.

After a bit of driving my lines end up with air bubble coming from the intercooler piping heading to my fcu ( fuel control unit)

From the fcu they go past and head back toward the pump. this causes the system to not have methanol ready to spray as soon as i get into power and my failsafe kicks on . I have to prime the system before i can get into boost.

I have all compression fittings and no leaks anywhere . My fittings are all tight .

Ive contacted Richard L from day 1 of the problem for assistance and all i keep getting from him is that theres air entering from the filter in the back before the pump.

He suggested get the new inline filter that goes into the tank saying thatll help the problem.

Well my tank was not deep enough so i straight lined my tank to the pump to "fix my faulty filter"

Still have the same situation . Whats the excuse now.
Im getting very frustrated with this . Im running an fpblack on 35psi.. I cant have Bull**** inconsistency's like this.

Does any one have an ideas?
Im thinking I have faulty hardware. I thought this system has a built in solenoid in the fcu to stop air from going back into the lines..

Last edited by mt057; Aug 22, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mt057
This is the part that makes me think that there is a leak somewhere. I have had leaks where the fitting screws in to the unit if they were not tight enough. I also caused a leak while tightening a comp. fitting which cut the line a little due to it being of angle.

I could be wrong but I do not believe that the FCM has a check valve built in. The system should stay primed. If everything is leak free it pressure in the piping etc should keep it from pushing backward into the system.

I have noticed though that sometimes I will lose a little fluid near the nozzles almost like it has been sucked out under vaccum or blown back into the lines under slight boost. This does not cause me to hit a fault though...

What do you have to do to "prime" the system
To prime i either get into partial boost 4-6 times .. my failsafe comes on , then it goes full spray. Another way i prime it is at the controller inside.. i jump the pins for full spray and i have to sit there on it for a few seconds until it sprays.

I though of the compression fittings possibly cutting the line . So I cut the ends off of every fitting end and gave it a new area to seal.

I have 2 jets . a 1 and a .9 .

after the system is ago... i dont have any issues .. its dead consistant on my tune. no problems.. if i drive a mile without partial boost . i lose its "readiness"

Im going to inspect my main line all the way back. see if i find anything there .
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

If the bubbles start from the jet and migrate towards the other side of the FCM unit, I suspect the valve may be partially open. One of the common reason for this to happen is some trapped debris.

Can you send the FCM to me or to Jeff at Howerton Enginnering.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I use basically the same setup with an HFS-3 and two 1mm jets. What are you using to make the split, push fittings or a compression T fitting, etc.?

If you are having to prime the system manually or go partial boost like that until the failsafe kicks it sounds like there is a leak some where. That same sort of thing happened to me when one of my lines was leaking at my y-split.

If you are having a hard timing finding it using twist ties and paper towels can help find leaks. Use the blue shop towels and wrap a little around every fitting use the twist ties or something to hold them in place. Go driving and test it out. Make sure to check the connections quickly after running the system.

Originally Posted by danameisoj
To prime i either get into partial boost 4-6 times .. my failsafe comes on , then it goes full spray. Another way i prime it is at the controller inside.. i jump the pins for full spray and i have to sit there on it for a few seconds until it sprays.

I though of the compression fittings possibly cutting the line . So I cut the ends off of every fitting end and gave it a new area to seal.

I have 2 jets . a 1 and a .9 .

after the system is ago... i dont have any issues .. its dead consistant on my tune. no problems.. if i drive a mile without partial boost . i lose its "readiness"

Im going to inspect my main line all the way back. see if i find anything there .

Last edited by mt057; Aug 22, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:20 PM

Where are your nozzles? It might not make a difference, but if you have your nozzles in two different areas, you could be draining your lines.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
If the bubbles start from the jet and migrate towards the other side of the FCM unit, I suspect the valve may be partially open. One of the common reason for this to happen is some trapped debris.

Can you send the FCM to me or to Jeff at Howerton Enginnering.
i could send it out.

How do i go about sending it?

I believe sending it to howerton would be easier since its in the states..

When i get some time tomorrow im going to drive the car some after work...see if i can investigate further. Its been raining ever day here for almost 3 weeks so im not driving the evo lol

The system keeps being stupid with me ... on the way to a buddies tonight I didnt have a single problem. Then other times I let the car idle at a stop light and it acts up.

It might very well be a stuck valve as you mentioned. Ive had it filtered from day 1 . so that puzzles me as well.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Please contact Jeff (www.howertonengineering.com) and ask him the best place to ship as he has moved into a new shop.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Richard . I did more investigating and I took the fcu out of the equation . and was still having traveling bubbles. Not as rapid but still traveling to the rear. So that leads me to believe the fcu should not have a problem.

After letting the car idle for 20 minutes i had a very small bubble sitting 2 feet away from my pump. ( pressure side )

and i had a large air pocket sitting right by the drivers seat (still attemping to travel back)

To my understanding . My problem should lie somewhere in the back? " (pump , accumulator)

Ive triple checked the fittings and i dont have any leaks..
Is there a trick to finding these leaks other than residue or actual fluid leakage?

Another thing thats got me confused is .. When idling . The engine is under vacuum. Would it not pull methanol in rather than send air backwards.
When idling the bubbles are moving like ants on a mission .
When i pulled the line off the fcu . the bubble were moving slow.

Last edited by danameisoj; Aug 24, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:31 AM
Former Sponsor

This is getting interesting and bewildering.

Are you placing thre jets on the vacuum side of the throttle? Is the ambient temperature high enough to boil the methanol in the hose? Assuming you are running 100% methanol.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

One of the nozzles is 9 inches before throttle body and the other is about 13 inches. Its about 96 degrees outside.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Are you using 100% methanol? If you have 96F ambient, the engine bay will be mush higher than that. Can you run M50/W50 and see if helps?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I run 100% and my intake temps reached a little over 140*F this summer. With the black top reaching 108*F. Just for reference.

Quick Reply: hfs6 issues