Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Transfer Case noise and where to get it fixed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case noise and where to get it fixed?

I've been getting this noise in the engine compartment area when I stop at the stop light with the engine running. It sounds like something loose with the clutch assembly. If I depress the clutch pedal the noise is gone and when I lift off it comes back.
Then yesterday, after I installed new tires on the front I noticed a whining noise from the engine compartment after I decelerate on highway speeds. I've read threads where the tranfer case breaking and making the noise also. So here are my questions......

1. Is it my transfer case going? or clutch? it runs fine just worried the noise might get louder and what happens if the transfer case lets go?

2.How much is it to fix?

3. Which dealer should I go in O.C.? I got a cat back RS-R exhuast, Greddy Type S BOV, and Sparco Harness bar. Nothing else on the engine so the dealer should fix the transfer case under warranty. (Since I didn't touch anything in the engine internals)
I've heard Huntington Beach is a cool dealership so I'm leaning towards that.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to Tuning Technologies in Colton, CA. 909 783 1200. Ask for Chris or Alfred and tell em Smoggy sent you. They will diagnose your problem and will not try to weasel you out of your money. They can fix it if needed too. If it is really your transfer case, they have a used front diff that is in perfect condition for you to buy and they would install it for around $250.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks! I'll look into it.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racerhead2
I've been getting this noise in the engine compartment area when I stop at the stop light with the engine running. It sounds like something loose with the clutch assembly. If I depress the clutch pedal the noise is gone and when I lift off it comes back.
Sounds like a bad throwout bearing to me.

1. Is it my transfer case going? or clutch? it runs fine just worried the noise might get louder and what happens if the transfer case lets go?
Maybe there isn't enough fluid in the transfer case. It'll make a whining noise on accel and decel. Drain and then fil it with some new fluid. Also check to see if you have any shavings on the magnetic drain plug.

The transfer case won't let go, rather it'll lock up. If the transfer case locks up basically all your wheels will stop spinning and then you will slide. Hopefully it's not when you're going 70+ on the highway.

2.How much is it to fix?
It's cheaper most of the time just to get a new transfer case rather then trying to rebuild one. It's at least that way with dsm's. A used transfer case for a dsm goes for approx $100. Not sure on an Evo.

How many miles do you have on your car?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input.

I hope it's what you are saying and not the transfer case problem. Currently I have 23,000 miles on the car and the car runs fine. Just a bit concerned.
Also I looked at how much it cost to replace/ purchase a transfer case and on the forums I see it's around $2000!
Like my previous posts about what I have on my car, if I want to get the warranty from the dealer I'll have to take the parts out before I bring it in. (BOV, Sparco seatbelt bar, exhaust?) Those aftermarket parts have nothing to do with the transfer case but they might be picky etc.